Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First post in a new forum + speculations about the future of utopia

First post in a new forum + speculations about the future of utopia

Thought the UT part looked empty so I took it upon myself to create the first thread.

Eventhough I usually didn't post in the old forums I still used to read them from time to time. This new layout is gonna feel weird for a while I think :s I'm gonna miss the old utopia-layout aswell, this one just feels less personal and less "utopia" (probably only because its new though) :/

Anyway, I guess I need to post smth utopiarelated aswell in order to keep the thread alive, so speculate away on what you think might or might not happen to utopia under OMAC rule. Does anyone think they'll manage to repopulate the game or will the game continue to loose players? Personally I'm skeptic :/

Im also one who reads the forums from time to time but never posts. Mainly because its all rubbish that gets posted and the rubbish stops any possible meaningful conversation.

Although im hoping these new forums bring some new people to the boards and maybe we can actually speak about the game. Im confident that these guys will manage to bring some more people to the game and hopefully these forums wont be the same as the old rubbish and the old site.

Goodluck to OMAC and Ill definitly be back to see how things go

My problem with the last forum was that unless you stayed active, you had to re-register everytime you wanted to say something, so unless the bug REALLY sucked, it just wasn't worth it to tell somebody about a problem you had. OMAC seems to have changed that, though, so I already like them.

I think OMAC has a chance at getting more players, especially if they listen to us at all, which would be more than Mehul did... He actually wrote a mssg a year or two ago saying he didn't even care if Utopia died--it was only supposed to last two or three years, and so he had already accomplished his goal with it.

Also, OMAC has more resources than Mehul did, so they will be much more able to advertise and get new blood in. But we'll just have to see what happens.
    As long as the crickets still live, there is hope.

Post Fiend
    As long as the crickets still live, there is hope.
    .....If only the roaches still live, we're f:rolleyes:ked!

no avatars ?

why have the option then ?

Another forum ...... swirve looked different to eesite which looked different to the earlier forums =)

I'm very optimistic about the takeover. Mehul was by no means a bad administrator, but his lack of motivation hurt Utopia immensely. OMAC seems to be genuinely interested in marketing and improving Utopia, and they have the resources to do it. Main issue now is making sure they listen to our opinions, which can only be done by showing that we're worth taking the time to listen to.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 19-07-2008 at 20:57.

Post Fiend
    Everyone's opinion matters, even if it's contrary to yours.
    Well, as long as they can make themselves understood in proper English.
    Last edited by Phoenix; 19-07-2008 at 20:58.

Where did I say that people's opinions don't matter?
    Last edited by Phoenix; 19-07-2008 at 20:58.

Post Fiend
    Phoenix, stop editing the god damn posts, least we need now is you guys being accused of overmodding. Check with the AR case.

just edit it back :P

Moderator for:
    Earth
    Utopia

Removing pointless flames is what I do. I could delete the posts next time, if you'd prefer.

oooh he is a mouthy one :p

johnnyk, how is this overmodding? Your post wasn't deleted, and your point still stands. Can't you formulate arguments without toilet language?
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Post Fiend
    He removed parts of our posts. How is that not overmodding? I enjoy my freedom of speech very much, especially since the "flames" were mild at best. What are we to expect in the future ?

Of course there will always have to be a limit (and I'll even let setting the limit to OMAC's discretion, i just don't want my posts modified for other reasons except correcting my spelling, by myself ofcourse), and when that limit is passed you can go ahead and ban/warn people, but stop editing other people's posts, you might not like it, but everyone has something to say. Even if it's flaming, it can also deliver a message just as well as civilized talk.

Like it or not, flames are and have always been an integral part of the community that is utopia, you can try and moderate them here, but there's always IRC... and that's where all the animosity is born anyways. And since it's the same user base how do you expect to keep people in a leash? So why cut into people's freedom of speech and expression? If you're gonna do something about it, don't just distort their posts, outright ban them for a well-founded reason.

Veteran
    It was definitely time for mehul to part with the game, it seemed as though he was burnout, and now it's place in the hands of what appears to be a more professional group so I think it will help a great deal. Mehul did this for a hobby which he made money at, but the desire to improve upon it wasn't present. This is not a hobby for OMAC, so they will place greater emphasis on improvements to attract more players, so they can make more money. I'm with Catwalk and am very optimistic.

Thread Information