Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will Utopia Politics remain UP

Catwalk:

Unlikely. U-Pers rarely droped by the old board. I doubt they will hunt this one out. The non-troll non-moron tendency are now split between "muzzle free forumn" (which looks like it might turn out to be a bit rubbish, with a lot of kids revelling in their newfound freedom to say poo and wee), and a UP clone that some guy has set up.

None of the hardcore are interested in coming here, the mods heavily implied that they will not tolerate discussions about religion, and a hard moderation to PG-12 isn't satisfactory when having a heated discussion about what various people regard to be (temporal or spiritual) good and evil.

So, even if you think you can bite your tongue (as you had to do on old UP, or use ASCII, though one wonders whether they are moderating to the letter or the spirit of PG12... if they really want a PG12 atmosphere it will never work), the community isn't going to come here, so there is no point. And not being net nannied is a benefit, though hopefully they will moderate blatant trolling of zero merit.

Besides, you need the morons and the trolls to keep the board ticking over with a high post rate, generating new discussions etc.Too few people having terribly reasonable discussions where everyone agrees just isn't fun.

I doubt I will post here again.

Mikster:

I think, actually, there is a hyper-abundance of choice. I count three alternative boards to this one. Yes, yes, I know... OMAC isn't interested as we don't add to the bottom line. Still, not sure it was good PR to lose your rag like that, and god knows how many page visits a day.

Moderator for:
    Earth
    Utopia

I think a lot of this debate is based on straw men, to be honest.

None of the hardcore are interested in coming here, the mods heavily implied that they will not tolerate discussions about religion, and a hard moderation to PG-12 isn't satisfactory when having a heated discussion about what various people regard to be (temporal or spiritual) good and evil.
    I think this was based on comments in a heated discussion, and I doubt it'll go quite that far in reality.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Perhaps, perhaps not. The issue is that it was sufficient that most of the community isn't planning on migration, ever, and I'd rather keep the community. Plus, I dislike the layout, adds and similies cluttering the page up, and I never did like the language filters. Also the post reviewing thing is annoying me, though mikster says that it will pass.

I'll see how things pan out, but with three alternative options: U-P has serious and considered people, the clone has cleanliness and the community, and muzzle has the community with irritating bells and whistles.... this place just has irritating bells and whistles *and* banner adds *and* irritating animated smilies. So, I can see why, moderation notwithstanding, this is probably the bottom of the pile of alternatives.

At present, the guidelines for these boards are, as posted, exactly the same as the old ones.

Religious discussion is permitted, as is heavy debating.

The only time something will be moderated is if a discussion or debate turns into a personal attack on someone. There is nothing wrong with saying a religion is wrong and then giving a sensible well though out reason for this.

But, to Say a religion is wrong because everyone who follows it are idiots would probably be frowned upon as it is flame bait and would only really be posted to create a negative reaction.

The Forum is rated PG-13, have you seen a PG-13 film recently ;)
    I'm not mad, I'm Grumpy!

Nice Nazi-fying my post =)

wow.. the owners actually posted here. Scary lol..
    Now if they would only drop by the earth boards to say hi:P

No one cares about the Earth boards.

I so do..

Liar.
    Even the earth players don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by adams901 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with saying a religion is wrong and then giving a sensible well though out reason for this.

But, to Say a religion is wrong because everyone who follows it are idiots would probably be frowned upon as it is flame bait and would only really be posted to create a negative reaction.

There goes the community. That is UP. We don't give well reasoned answers for hating anything. We just say what we think and everyone is happy that we do that. As long as we aren't physically killing people in the name of hating that religion everything is ok.

Adam, Lydias:

Hi guys,

I figured it would actually be much the same, though one has to take the moderators words at face value on these issue, as they are the ones that implement the policy.

PG-13 has flexible meanings of course, I was going to see the new Batman (12 A was it?) but not enough time before I need to hand my thesis.

In a way, UP (I've been posting there for about ten years on and off) was eventually going to have to migrate (in fact, it has done so before). You start off with a bunch of 12 to 16 year old's and a decade later they are all in their mid twenties... and this is politics we are talking about after all, and you know what they say about the rules for good dinner party conversations. Flaming and the the permanent manifestation of Godwin's law. Once the ball gets rolling and you hit the tipping point and the centre of gravity moves.

I do feel sorry for the stick that the mods have to put up with, the community contains a fair few rather immature guys who confuse freedom to say something no matter how repulsive with the duty to find the most repulsive thing to say. I think the novelty of slinging faeces at your boards may have run it's course, a lot of people are telling them to stop "the insurgency" and grow up.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your acquisition, and I hope this place kicks off like the old boards did ten years ago.

Ta,

Seb

You can see boobies in a pg-13 flick so are we allowed to post pics of bresteses?????

Thread Information