Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Will Utopia Politics remain UP

And I Am A Patron Not A Newbie!!!!

Pillz is just bitter lol..

*wonders whose avatar is going to get turfed due to boobage*

I'd like to see a small amount of control over some of the more silly folks on the old board but with luck they will not make it over here.
    Life Is So Weird At Times

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Liar.
    Even the earth players don't care.
    *slaps Pillz for saying this*

I do care about the earth board. It's the UP ones I don't understand half the time.
    *runs by nude only like the real CueBall can do*

AIM: CueBallBC
    MSN: l_a_o2@hotmail.com
    Yahoo: CueyLaO
    Email: CueyLaO@gmail.com

I'd like to see a small amount of control over some of the more silly folks on the old board but with luck they will not make it over here.
    rofl
    Pathetic freedom hating fascist scumbag.

well then..

Post Fiend
    have fun with these geniuses.

I thought I would drop by to pay my respects.

First off, thank you for taking over Utopia. Mr. Patel has certainly paid his dues and it is nice to see the game live on (I have not played for a while - but the wives of friends still yell at me for the times their husbands ran around trying to find internet cafes to manage their kds and do their part in waves while on vacations).

It is perhaps sad that UP as we know it may very well divorce (and perhaps curl up and die) from the game that originally brought us to it (I do recall the first time I stumbled into UP - "OMG, these people are completely mad". That was a mere 38 thousand of my posts ago. My how time flies when you are having fun). So yes, I do understand Mickster and others. I would have been less tolerant back in the day.

Good luck with your ventures. New posters will certainly arrive, perhaps old ones will come crawling back so you can kick some civilization into them.

But civilization is over-rated perhaps. Crass correspondence between the greatest minds of the age of reason did at times have highly insulting content. Perhaps we were on to something after all? Now if we could only learn to tie our shoes.

Good luck and have fun,

jergul.

Life moves forward like it or not and differences add excitement. Life wouldn't be at all interesting without them. Sit back and simply enjoy the ride. The old was simple, efficient, and time saving. That is what I look for in a forum so I'm out shopping. ;)
    "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain, humorist and author.

Seconds Jergul

pheer the mickster

pheer him...go on do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Afro View Post
    When Obama fails, dont blame me, i voted for McCain.

:headbang:
    lets not start the earth/utopia flame wars again

Red X.. so now you are sumbitting to fluff?
    Interesting:P

I hope I can actually keep my account this time rather than all my accounts being deleted for supposedly, "advocating cheating".

Anyway, the forums look better, there are more user options, there are options to disable avatars and even adds for me to click on when I'm bored. I hope there are no invalid characters like the last forums and that there is better moderation so there isn't mass spamming like the last forums.

"Religious discussion is permitted, as is heavy debating."

This is at odds with what Mickster said earlier; what Mickster said caused some concern and confusion. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Also, Mickster said that no racial topics are allowed to be discussed, so I would like to be clarified on OMAC's position on that. I think it's a given that blatantly racist, hateful and unjustified posts will be deleted. However, what about discussions and posts that imply statistical differences between subgroups of people if it is justified by empirical or deductive evidence (particularily genetic or evolution based evidence)?

As examples: Can I say that Caucasians have greater immunity to diseases on average than other groups of humans (such as native americans) and that this is due to natural selection caused by the black plague and other major outbreaks? Can I say that kenyans and ethiopians generally have genetic advantage in long-distance running because their environment (eastern africa) favored that trait and this is why kenyans and ethiopians always win long-distance running events at the olympics? Can I point to IQ test scores which show that on *average* hispanics and blacks have lower IQ's than other groups and then suggest that maybe this is due to some genetic traits that occur more frequently in people with this ethnic background? Can I point to empirical evidence that shows that on average, people of east asian decent have larger brains than non-asians and then point to anecdotal evidence that all the smart students in my highschool were generally asian and then imply that on average asians are smarter and this might be due to genes?

I would just like to know where, if any, line will be drawn on discussion that is well argued but may be deemed offensive or racist by some groups.

Thanks in advance.

This is something we will have to think about.

While the examples you have listed are not racist, they can lead to a flame war, or even degenerate into a less than desirable topic.

Sensible discussion on such a topic would probally be harmless, but we have seen what can happen to sensible topics on the old forum.

If we were to allow things like this it would be with a zero tolorence approach to racism and instant action taken against anyone who trys to push their luck.

Watch this space.
    I'm not mad, I'm Grumpy!

Thread Information