Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Will Utopia Politics remain UP

Thanks for the quick reply.

You guys definatly run this place better than mehul ever did.

I would be very tempted to transition over to these boards if it wasn't for the lame arse avatars and signatures. Worst inventions in board history ever.

as mentioned in about 900 different places, you can turn them off :)

http://forums.jolt.co.uk/announcement.php?f=1550&a=125
    I'm not mad, I'm Grumpy!

Nice! Forgive my ignorance.

There is a difference between spouting racist nonsense and discussing race issues, by blanket banning race topics you actually play into the hands of racists on the one hand who will cry foul and you will also deny minorities or people of the races in question their right to represent themselves in the subject, which of itself is racist.

I suspect the old UP days are over, this is a UK managed site and lacks the simple crudity/crudeness of the other US one.

Interestingly enough we were almost self moderating, in that people who espoused stupid or blatantly foul ideas managed to stir up debate and in many cases we gained something from it. The spam was a small price to pay for honest if sometimes distasteful discourse.

All hail the anodyne.

Will give muzzlefree a whirl, but as Seb says, I don't see much point in it, maybe the old dog has had its day.

no one has blanket banned race topics, but there is a fine line between what is deemed racist and what isnt, and the less mature will always try to turn a sensible discussion into something that is generally not acceptable.
    I'm not mad, I'm Grumpy!

Maybe the racism rules should be better defined...If I say something that appears to be racists, but is infact true, should I be banned?

give us an example, i think its pretty common knowledge what is actually racist and what isnt.
    I'm not mad, I'm Grumpy!

"i think its pretty common knowledge what is actually racist and what isnt."

I would rephrase that to commonly accepted, the use of racial epithets are varied and have different levels of appropriateness and context, it is whether we accept the range of contexts and healthy debate or not.

Even if someone categorically makes claims to say racial inferiority/superiority by so-called knowledge of genetics, even though it may be offensive, although I find the actual aspect of offence to be the insult to my intelligence rather than the possible racial slurring or validation of prejudice by citing 'science', then those proponents should be up for scrutiny and dissection.

The core of the problem rests with the publisher citing higher principles as justification for moderating forum content.

Moderating in that sense should be viewed as a diologue between author (poster) and editor (forum owner). Which is straightforward, the editor can change, modify or remove any content, the author can review the changes and either accept them, change them once more, or simply delete the post in question.

Invoking higher principles is a bit more tricky because that changes the playing field. In essense the forum becomes a platform for free speach and as such - only legal limitations on free speach is an acceptable basis for moderation.

Which would demand some degree of moderator competence and training as they would be acting within a legal framework (anti-hate legislation, promoting illegal violence, criminal activity and promoting content sexualizing minors would be the main catagories subject to moderation within the realm of free speach. Using content clauses adopted from censor board guidelines might also be acceptable at 13+).

Calling someone a damned paddy is not rascist (we would consider nationalities to be distinct races for the purposes here), The Irish rape sheep and hate jews, so we should kill them all crosses the line. Though a moderator may want to judge the earnestness of the comment before deleting).

Point is that you may as well just stick to your commercial concept and reserve the right to delete whatever you want to delete as not in keeping with company policy.

Why complicate things by invoking higher principles?

I think I saw stoffi whining about racism at the old UP board. Nice one Jew hater.

Anyway I just found jolts boards. I went to the old UP and saw it in archive mode, followed a link to a real hell hole. The supposed replacement.

It was 'moderated' by a bunch of people who have not a moderate bone in their body.

Nearly every thread was a barrage of swearing and non stop insults.

This place looks decent enough to give it a chance.

How ya like me now pill?

LOL@nazi mods deleting my jew post

**** you =)

(Edited for profanity)
    Last edited by Lydias; 09-09-2008 at 12:49.

It is a refreshing change of pace to not have all the old haters in here,I'm looking foward to the time when the mods realize people like pillz are coming in here just to cause trouble on the new boards ,perhaps in time he will be perma banned,won't that be special.

Its a boring change of pace is what it is. Look at the activity level of these boards compared to the other real UP or what the activity was back on the swirve UP.

Theres really no comparison.

Thread Information