Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Thread Ideas

Veteran
    I think that's the general consensus. Does it really matter where we go as long as we're all going there?

True that. So tell me about the Skysail Treasure Co. I read the start and I want to join, but there is no way I can get through 400 some posts.

That's why they created digital ink Ren, so you can use a reader and not your computer screen 8 p

Skysail... well summing up the places would be hard, but basic story: crew of treasure hunters/smugglers leaves eastern continent to go in search of lost, magical city Shandalaar. Is attacked by Orcs crossing the sea, crash lands on island. Island is home to strange fire god and raw magicite (refined magicite being what fuels ships and other techs). Crew helps the islanders remove a corrupted chieftain who has been syphoning power from the god and gets enough raw magicite to leave island. Continue journey to Gebron where their employer kills a triumvir and implicates the entire ship in the murder. They flee the city at night, but with leads on how to find Shandalaar. They believe the secret is contained within 8 books, all called The Spiders Way, all with slight discrepancies that will reveal... well something. They are on their way now to an old battlefield to the tomb of a general who was said to be buried with the book.

If you'd like to join, we picked up a few faceless/nameless crew members in Gebron. Just post a char sheet and once approved you can play it as you joined up there ^_^

I was thinking maybe something different ...... if you allow me to that is.....I am thinking maybe being something like a archaeologist/ librarian who is somehow trapped in/ near this battlefield? I think that would be fun. It also give me a little time to come up something.

There's a fair deal of fighting to be had in the coming chapter with the whole tomb business, and I'm sure there will be more in the future. Having a character unable to defend himself might leave you feeling like you're missing out on a majority of the thread's interaction. I would suggest giving him some degree of combat skills.
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Oh I was planning on it. Are there guns in the universe.... I mean like in a gunpowder/ pirate kinda way?

There are flintlock style muskets and other base firearms. I've sort of imagined them playing a role comparable to the 13th century, where gunpowder technology existed, yet the reliability and uses did not supersede the bow and other projectile weaponry. There is also a good deal of magitek weaponry - sort of magically enhanced medieval weapons, though they tend to be larger scale.

I was thinking something along those lines, possibly with a steam punk kind of feel. Maybe a magically enhanced gun that would allow her to get a few shots off before having to reload. I don't know ... ill come up with something. And more than likely it won't be her only form of defence. Maybe even a rouge type character. I really need to think more on it.

Veteran
    In lieu of my hurried post in the proper thread, i'll address it here, cause there's already a discussion.

Magitek weapons are not exclusive to dominia, but they're pretty much the only ones with things in the handheld realm. even then, Arch has a powered autocrossbow/dart gun that is unique. Smallest thing around and not quite available.

Magitek armors are the next smallest thing, from working thread knowledge, but you could talk with the resident owner of Dominia - Arctic phoenix - about that.

Flintlock firearms, remember, ARE quite unpredictable, don't work in wet weather, or very well in mists and other humid situations for that matter. They're very inaccurate, even with much practice, because of the nature of the technology at the time. pistols more so than muskets, but marginally, because of distance. muskets, mind you, got fairly large during the flintlock period. Small concealable firearms were expensive, and seldom used except against muggers in close quarters with the element of surprise (a wealthy man's weapon, really - like a gambit or ace up his sleeve). Although it DID revolutionize assassinations because of it's relative concealability. That being said, it's a one-shot weapon, with a lengthy reload, and fairly useless.

if you wanted to do a sort of alchemical-related librarian character, or Jade and she could work in league, for the proposal I have next.

I wouldn't mind (from a player standpoint) if she found diagrams in some old book for a prototype percussion-cap gun. That meaning modern bullet forms in the primitive stage. Percussion cap, gunpowder, and bullet in a paper cartridge, and singlefire-reload bolt lock scheme. Limited, but useful. Instead of revolving barrel of bullets (revolver) you could revolve barrels manually and have a hammer or bolt-lock. It would be a unique weapon and style, be multi-fire before reloading (Say three shots to keep weight down?(so it is still useful)), and keeps a sort of adventure feel to it without getting too realistic yet over/under-powered.

the thread gets a sort of ... emerging technology feel to it without getting unnecessarily technical. (Could even have it powered by some pressurized steam/air mechanism that is powered by magitek, but like i said, talk to Arch about that. But above is my suggestion for the chemical propulsion route.) In any case, weight and weather will be your biggest concerns. followed by reliability, then accuracy, then rate of fire/damage done.

My inspiration (a Derringer) - The Liberator loading mechanism. With slight modification, you could do the same with a multi-barrel gun (turn the barrels, once fired, for the desired one), turn a crank for the spring (Or turning the barrels would crank a spring to ready a pin to ignite the cap when trigger is pressed). Load from the breech (rear of the barrels) of disengaged barrels. Much like this, too, a pepperbox.

I don't mind how you'll play it so much, because i trust your judgement on the matter. :) the problem is relative technology in the thread (as far as I understand what that technology is).

Now... i don't know exactly what arch's flying fighters' weapons were (if they had guns like what she uses but bigger, or guns like what we have today), so you might want to discuss with him the method of propulsion used in that case.
    Last edited by Jolly Rensha; 24-03-2010 at 06:30.

So any one other then Ren interested in a urban fantasy thread?

Post Fiend
    Hmmm tell me more...

Well I would like to base it off the anita blake universe, but I want it to be different people and place. ahhh.. I don't really have a discription cause cause I didn't want to write it out if no one was interested.

Post Fiend
    lol gotcha
    I've never actually read any of Anita Blake's stuff, though I've heard things. I might be interested, the whole urban fantasy part grabbed my attention

Regular
    Probably more likely to get a response if you have at least a little bit of a description written up...you know, kind of like bait. ;)

lol, I know. I really just didn't want to write it all up to have no one be interested. I figured, since there are not a million of us, that i would just ask. If there were a few maybes then I would write a little more. I am not in a rush.

Vampires, lycanthropes, and zombies OH MY!

This isn’t the Kansas you’re used to.......

Nearly 10 years ago all things that used to go bump in the night now walk among us. Vampires are citizens and are masters of the entertainment business. Lycanthropes come in all different shapes and sizes, but were they bitten or were they given a batch of bad vaccine? There are even people who raise the dead for a living. And don't forget the fey, or you'll be sorry.

This story will take place in Los Angeles, California. To make it interesting I am going to make it sort of a murder mystery type to start, but other than that it will be free form. And what I mean by that is normal day to day activities only with paranormal Dramas going on. Lol… I just had the thought of it being kind of like a soap opera only with vampires and such.
    Last edited by Wildfire; 27-03-2010 at 04:16.

Thread Information