Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread Ideas

I've sen that one, actually. From a literary standpoint, I think their 'special powers' were more along the lines of some kind of play at Haruhi's fate or destiny. The only one who stood out very much was Mikuru as she was from the past, though, there's an overlying hint she may just be reincarnated. Anyway, I've participated in a few of those types of threads and in my experience you need one of two things to be successful: lots of players (lacking in that area), or a solid plot.

But if you want Sci-Fi, I just posed a thread based off Mass Effect. I haven't posted any details on the story because I'm waiting to see who all would be interested. Mass Effect is an incredibly compelling story, despite the few parallels it has with Star Wars (Mass Effect is better in my opinion). Please, if you're interested in a Sci-Fi thread, give mine a shot. You don't have to have knowledge of the game to join. I can explain anything that needs explaining.

View it here.

Post Fiend
    Actually, Mikuru was from the future, she was the time traveler. What overlay of being reincarnated are you talking about? Just wondering to learn more.

I did see yours, but lack any knowledge of that game. If you're willing to post a general background of it (nothing extensive like wiki's would have), I'll read and check it out.

Much of Mikuru's flashbacks are just that, back. If she was indeed from the future, then I missed some crucial detail somewhere, because her character is increadibly modest and shy (even when not being dressed up by Haruhi), which would be trait more of someone from the past. Anyhow, I haven't seen it in a while, so I'll take your word for it.

I guess I could post up something explaining the background of Mass Effect, but the game is so nonlinear - even in the order of the storyline missions - that it's not as simple as to say "this happened then this then this." It all ends the same, no matter how you play, but I think I can get a general summary up.
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Post Fiend
    Flashbacks? I don't remember her having any :/ I know on one episode she came back again, but as an older self.
    She said orig though that no one could travel back farther than three years prior, indicating she was from the future.

Well yeah, nothing chronological was required, just pretty much sum up the story or game, or anything important. Thanks though, I'll check it out soon

So. Various ideas I've had sitting on my harddrive for far too long now. If something catches your eye, say so and I'll write up a slightly more concrete summary. Loving that we can finally use some HTML tags on these boards, by the by. They make organizing posts a lot easier. I might split this into a few posts for ease of reading.

ORIGINAL IDEAS
    (NB: I use the term original loosely, the inspirations for some of these are quite obvious)

The Shadow Compact
    A modern day setting in the old city of Hallowsbrook, where strange occurances of a magical nature are starting to leak more and more obviously into our mundane world. Beneath the thin veneer of our accustomed reality, the Courts of the Fae - what humans call "faeries" - are once again waging an age old war that threatens to put not just Hallowbrook but the whole world in danger. And several people throughout the city are discovering that they're not quite what they appeared to be...

Players would play Sleepers - changelings who were seeded in the Hallowsbrook community long ago by the Courts. But who do they owe their loyalty to? Their Courts? Each other? The human world? And can they survive long enough to change anything?

The Millenium Tournament
    Back on the old URP boards I wrote this up and received quite a lot of interest, but never had the time to get it off the ground as I would like. This thread is an experiment in storytelling more than anything else. In fighting games, you find the most intricate and engaging backstories and side stories that aren't told anywhere but in manuals and outside sourcebooks. The thread would chronicle a fighting tournament - The Millenium Tournament - and the subsequent intervals of time between the next tournament, letting players evolve their characters over time, have them drop out, play new characters, form friendships and rivalries and generally write their own stories all interweaving into one beautiful tapestry.

Or at least, that's the theory.

Some Sort Of Urban Ninja Thread (Working Title, For Obvious Reasons)
    A high-tech dystopian metropolis (think Blade Runner-esque) where life is difficult and death all too easy, in a state of constant guerilla warfare by feuding Ninja clans, some of whom have embraced technology and others who cling to the old traditions. The loose peace that has endured for the last forty years however is threatened by the rise of the Falcon Clan, who have secured both amazing technology and powerful magic. But are they aided by an outside force more worrying than mere humans?

ESTABLISHED SETTINGS

Bleach
    Set a little before the Shinigami-Quincy war, chronicling the rise of a group of trainee Shinigami before the Academy was even properly implemented. They would be eventually pulled into the frontlines and uh. Stuff. Haven't thought this one out fully, I just like Bleach. *laughs*

Castlevania: Legacies of Blood
    The Belmont family are far from the only family line that stands opposed to the evil of Dracula but are certainly the most powerful, mainly because of the legendary Vampire Killer whip. However a Church prophecy from the 1800s, foretelling Dracula's sealing away in 1999, warned that the Belmont clan would not be able to wield the Vampire Killer until that time without disaster being unleashed upon the earth.

Players would play members of various other famous Castlevania bloodlines (Morris, Lecarde, Belnades, DeNasty etc...), forming an alliance to storm Dracula's castle to forestall his ressurection, uneasy in the knowledge that without the Belmont heir wielding the Vampire Killer, their task is a near suicidal one. For added interest this could be set in 1998 - the year before the great battle - and even carry over into the 1999 fight as Julius Belmont steps forward to claim the Vampire Killer and seal away Dracula once and for all.

...At least until Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. Dracula is kind of a hard guy to keep down.

Soul Edge/Calibur
    Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords eternally retold.
    Some call it the Sword of Salvation, others the Demon Sword, still others the Immortal Weapon. But a few who know the true nature of the unholy sword Soul Edge seek nothing more than it's destruction. An epic tale of swashbuckling in the rennaisance age (or later, or earlier, the time period easily negotiable), though this sort of thing is perhaps more easily done along the lines of the proposal I wrote up for The Millenium Tournament. Again, a half formed idea based on my love of the Soul series.

Harry Potter
    I don't actually have an idea here I just think someone should do a Harry Potter thread again because I have a fondness for school/academy RP settings and a fondness for magic and it blends both so nicely.

That about wraps it up for now I think. I might post some more later.

Regular
    Does anyone remember a thread started quite a while ago?

It was about a group of College Kids who had heirlooms that transported them to a fantasy world while they slept. In the fantasy world there was a villan, and he was able to take control of a teacher at said college in the RL. Basically the story was how the villan was trying to kill the Kids in the Real World while the Kids were trying to stop the villan in the fantasy world...

Something like that...

Post Fiend
    You sure you're not on something?

Regular
    Something big is happening. In my pan - I mean, head.

Stay tuned.

lol well i geuss my thread idea that i posted up bombed, so meh i'm open to ideas, i'm a player with no thread currently

Regular
    lol, I could be, but that's besides the point.

But there was deffinately a thread like it, I'm positive because I was in it. It didn't even make it through a full 100 posts though...

Post Fiend
    firefly wouldn't hurt to get a few more players :)

Yeah, I could use a thread as well.

Well if we want a school one up i have an idea circling around that that i may be able to go for if i get people who would help out and JOIN it =P

Post Fiend
    Does the idea involve allowing me to play a day-walking, human-loving, kind-hearted vampire?
    If so, then heck yeah, let's do it!

Thread Information