A New Beginning

The Unrest

The Amphitheater was empty but of one lonely soul usually so bright of character and constitution that radiance spilled off of him like gossamer strands of comfort, though now dimmed to normality. His white robes and platinum hair swayed in the ignorant gentle breeze. Standing in the middle of ornate pillars and stone step-work seating of the structure all around him, his gaze rose aloft to the red sunset acting as the prophet; painting the picture of the blood red future that awaited all in Vaeduurn and those scattered beyond. What has occurred shook the foundations of what these peoples therein have stood for for a thousand years. The simple years are at their end.

"Where have I gone wrong? Seajun... forefathers... I ask for your words of wisdom..." he pleaded quietly.

----------

"Why do you not understand, Aendara? Is it that you have fallen behind? That you cling to old understanding of the way it is and shall always be? Seajun has lied to us! There is more than this!" The crowd stirred and whispered their objections or agreement among themselves. Aendara himself awkwardly shifted his weight at the accusation. "Can you not imagine the future for yourself? You must have it told to you?!"

The silent Aendara opened his mouth slightly then hesitated as he looked around at the many faces awaiting his response. "I imagine a world in which my children can live the life I have lived with all the joys I have partaken of. I wish for no desire or pleasure to be out of their reach." Aendara's composure softened as he was confident in his answer. "And you, aside from ignoring my authority, what do you imagine Durden?"

Durden's cheek twitched in repulsion and his voice came to a bitter snarl, "I? I imagine a world where that dream of yours is accessible to all. While you live in opulence, there are those who must support themselves on the edge of a wire daily. Do you call that fair? Is that how you propose to run the land 'given to you by Seajun?'" he turned to the crowds looking on, the older men of the cities and towns.

"Do you not see it yourselves, fellow leaders? Do you not look on and pity Aendara for his selfishly indulgent fantasies? Do you see how his heart works for himself and not his fellow man?" He looked at Aendara now and grinned in victory. Many were shouting out their agreement with Durden while he walked around Aendara as a wild animal.

Aendara raised his hand to silence the split and argumentative crowd. Slowly it came to a quiet. "Long we have lived on this land as it was told to us to live upon it. I fear if we fail to live as Seajun instructed us in the beginning, things will go terribly wrong as he had spoken to us. Please, stay another day and tomorrow we will speak again. Already we have been in counsel most of the day and must eat and rest."

"We do not need another day, Aendara. I and those with me are sure. We will depart and you will see us here never again," he said loud enough for all to hear. Then he whispered, "Except when you are turned away from your leadership and look back at us, managing our people the way they should always have been managed."

Minutes later the theater was emptied, as many as half leaving Vaedus with Durden, and their men with them.