Thread: A New Beginning OOC

Veteran

A New Beginning OOC

A New Beginning OOC thread rules:

+ Please be as IN to the story as you possibly can muster. Put forth as much effort into every word, name, sentence, paragraph, and post that you can push yourself to bring to the table.

+ I'm only going to be able to reliably post once a week. That is enough for me. I can post more, probably, through the week if required. With my schedule, if I can post, I expect many of you to be able to as well. It is not required that you do, but highly suggested.

+ Post only if you have something useful and meaningful to add. No meaningless posts!

Thread locations thus far:

+ Vaeduurn (Country); Vaedus (Capital City)

Thread Setting:

+ Think early Hellenistic Mediterranean in technology. There is, however, little war or wide knowledge of martial arts (that would be any form of fighting). Police forces are basically militia and Aendara's Guard (Very small, about ten men). People are for the most part peaceful and good natured.

Vaeduurn, however, has grown in population and land size so much in the past thousand years that it is difficult now to manage in context of the previous mindset and form of leadership.

People:

+ Generally, people are as they are today. They live to about 70-80, though their constitution due to their simple way of life (low stress, agricultural and therefore physical way of life, good clean food, etc.) is greater than ours and on average very healthy and without defect.

------------------

Feel free to wait for the next post to create a character and join up or join up now and start contributing to the story! No Character Sheets.

ENJOY! :)
    Last edited by Jolly Rensha; 02-08-2008 at 00:17.

Look and all the fonts, and usage of special characters.....hmmm maybe a spell check would be most helpful addition ;)

So like hey, hows the new forums treating everyone?

Need a little more info before I post, namely a time stamp so i know what sort of technology we're dealing with, masonary, metallurgy, science, etc.

Just curious as to the size of this country, how many days travel across, population density, how many towns, trade with neighbouring countries?

And most importantly of all, I take it Aendara is quasi-ruler of this little corner of the world and Durden has decided he's going to light the fires of revolution fior good or ill. Snap shot at this point, Aendara means well but the average folk are suffering because the current set up is struggling with the logistics of the now thriving little state?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the setting will be further expanded upon in the next post and not assume that that's the only bone o' wise and great Ren is going to throw us, but before I post I'll need a brief answer to a few of those to make the post fit and be meaningful. ICly or otherwise is good.

Sorry to be a pest Ren, but u did ask for meaning and thought...

Veteran
    Larc, already explained that. Early Mediterranean Hellenistic Period scenery and technology. Iron age. mystical. Magical? Up to you for you guys. nothing over the top. Something more along the lines of mystical and mythical. ;)

also, when I say 'contribute' i mean add the details that i leave out, within reason. If the human race is young, but the government is getting too large to hold together using old methods of rule, you determine how large you think it should be.

I trust you all to be reasonable and wise enough to make sound decisions.

But no, that is not the only bone i'll be throwing you. :) We will flesh the world out in our IC posts. why just talk about it ooc, when we can play and live it IC? Let's flesh it out now, eh? :)

and yes, larc, in closing, you are most accurate in your assessment of the situation. :)

Ah, it feels good to start anew ^_^

Hmm... well I really need more story to go on in this, right now I'm a little flabbergasted as to how to introduce a character into the environment without to go on. I blame the rust :)

Ren, good to see a new thread of yours up on these new boards :)

I'm in. Until the 23rd of this month I might not be able to join due to being at my parents on holidays, have a trip next week and such. But will try. Otherwise, once I am back in my apartment, I'm so in :)

Looking forward to rping with you all. All 4 for now, I think I saw in this ooc. :)

Yea early wasnt much of a time stamp. Wasn't sure how much thought you'd given this world, if it was predefined in your mind or you've only given us the bare bones and flesh is our job.

Iron age does help though, being as martial professions are not common tradesmen and artisans would be the likely professions of characters and I'm throwing around a few of them. Wouldn't want to be a blacksmith using iron when everyone else is just starting to work with copper, or a sculptor when thus far we haven't worked out how to build with worked stone, let alone refine it to an artform.

But with limited creative license and a vague timer period I have all i need to get moving, just need to mull over my choices now and how best to introduce the character

Veteran
    mmmm so so Larc. Egyptians used copper chisels (basically a rod with a point) on their quarries with rocks as hammers on one end, which then changed to a wooden mallet of sorts. The quarries still exist near many ancient ruins where there's a ton of lines in the rock. Very cool. The ends were serrated and they sharpened them from time to time. Worked rather well.

anyway ^_^ glad to have you. ;)

Cala, Horned, great to hear from you, please, join in when you feel comfortable. :)

Two separate thought trains, using iron when we only have copper and scuplting stone into art when we can barely build a hut out of it. But a useful/interesting bit of trivia none the less

This thread, i get the feeling politics will be a big part of it no? and that we aren't going to develop a highly trained army over night so war is pretty well out of the question barring maybe a riot (lets face is, who doesn't love a good civil riot)

Veteran
    Not really sure what you mean by two separate thought trains. in point of fact, i didn't really get hardly any of that last one. Not to be mean, it just doesn't make any sense what you're talking about... ?

Two separate thought trains, using iron when we only have copper and scuplting stone into art when we can barely build a hut out of it. But a useful/interesting bit of trivia none the less
    ---------

Yes, though. Right now war is pretty primitive. The weapons are mostly if not fully thought out. The common ones for hunting (bow & arrow, spear/javelin for boar/hog, for instance) but not war. Police are not really needed but in the large cities and it's pretty primitive. Just a few men with the task of making sure everyone is getting along.

In the future there will be war. real war. Don't expect this thread to be about a day, or about a year. :) this isn't about characters, per se, but rather a land, a people, and race.
    Last edited by Jolly Rensha; 08-08-2008 at 20:24.

yea i'll write it off as a lost cause, its a trivial point of absolutely zero significance so well leave it alone.

Veteran
    you could also assume a long dagger, for skinning and hunting and things like that. Nothing quite swordlike as we envision them. Probably a leaf-shaped long dagger. Primitive.

ok Larc. ;)

Veteran
    Okay, I hope you feel like brining yourself into the story. because I will only do what is logical or makes sense to bring you in. You have to move toward the main plot before you can enter it. and you have to be in it to influence it. Or at least near it.

all are welcome, but participation is a must. Also, like i said before, I will only be able to post at most twice a week, but more likely once. You can always rest assured though, that I will always come back, and that I will never leave. Unless on vacation.

speaking of which. September 7-20 I'm going to training in Minnesota, and October 11 I'm going for a week to phoenix to visit family. Therefore... I'll be gone for that time. :)

Veteran
    just topping and asking for people to join. I want more people, so this can move a little faster, and so it can get a little more complicated and interesting. I can't have a political intrigue or a fascinating war without people to do the unexpected and diabolically logical scheming i live for.

This sounds like a fine idea. I'll mull it over for a bit longer, but if you'll have me, I expect I'll be about within the week.

Thread Information