Page 75 of 77 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1146

Thread: Roleplayer's Message Board

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    well, obviously you're excluded :P Everyone else, 일을빨리! (i need to practice my Hangeul ㅋㅋ)
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Post Fiend
    알았어! ㅋㅋ
    한국 사람 이여요?

(my korean suck)

I've got caught up car shopping the last couple days, plus was seeing if anyone else would post. Shari, I'm not sure what you had in mind for Ptolemy, but could you send me a wave as I had planned on having Sephara play a part in his demise.

You can go ahead with that as much as you like Geco. My point was only that my characters are both currently locked in a fight, and have very limited posting options at the moment. I hadn't considered anything to end the fight, though, I could come up with something if need be. Kyra is a cleric, after all, and has a number of tricks up her sleeve for such encounters, as clerics are primarily healers and anti-undead solutions.
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

It seems we have so much redundancy, 3 priestesses! Lol Cailey, Amateira and Kyra. Still haven't finished reading, weekends are busy for me, excepting today, sunday.

Kyra is not a priest. She's a cleric. Clerics are far more closely related to the paladin than the priest. The only thing she shares with a priest is her faith. Keep in mind my standards are based on DnD (4th edition) when it comes to character classes and what they mean. Priest isn't a class in and of itself, so when I see priest, I think of something similar to what a modern priest is: a clergyman who represents his/her deity through gospel and worship. Clerics, Paladins, and Avengers are pro-active members of a particular faith who have the ability to heal, bless, defend, and smite through Divine magic.

I see it as thus: Cailey is a cleric/sorcerer cross-class. She can perform magic, but through natural forces and the strength of her will rather than divine intervention, as well as call upon divine magic to heal/bless. Amateira is more of a ranger who happens to be devoted to a particular faith, but I could be wrong on that as we have ye to see very many of her abilities or knowledge.
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

Ah, DnD I sort of remember the classes... Yeah I guess you could call Ama a ranger, but with a bit of magic from the Magicite. Through the mystical ways of the gods it got mixed with fire, being near a volcano might have some effect. But if she's not touching the magicite she has no magical aspects.

She can manipulate fire but not make it, I think I put that in the CS, I'll check later. She can heal minor burns easily, and in the rare case (Like Arlen's injury) it can do more. That's the way I thought of the magicite from the island, that it enables the user to wield fire hence Puk'ai's fighting.

And another thing, the stone uses mana, but since Amateira has little magical abilities she can't draw it from outside sources. So if Amateira were say to give the stone to Cyr she might be have similar skills to a mage dedicated to fire magic (but its not gonna happen at least not any time soon).

@Artic I read somewhere (think it was way back when you killed the Duncan fellow) that you seem to like killing off NPCs, next mission we shall take the half orc with us. Or will he just have left the crew at Gebron?

I'm going back to reading nearly there.

Edit: Oh wait the NPC killing and maiming is olny just up there^^
    Last edited by Zran; 11-07-2010 at 03:00.

Haha, just a note: I did not kill poor Duncan. /glances at Rensha

Yeah.. /glances at Rensha and points to Kyra's scolding of Arlen XD

Zran - We're on the same page with the fire stone, then. It's more of an power gem than anything else, though, mana is the result of the body turning ley energy into magical power. Mana is not a physical thing but represents a person's magical endurance. The stone can't have or use mana because it is not a living creature. It can, however, be a conduit for ley energy much like a staff or wand. If, hypothetically, the stone were placed at the headpiece of Cyradis' staff, then it would considerably increase the potency of her fire magic as well as give her access to higher levels of mana because it channels the ley energy directly to the staff which requires less concentration for Cyradis to access it. Note:DnD does not have a mana system or recognize any other form of magical endurance. It is based of spell slots classified as At-Will, Daily, and Prepared. So, these musings are just my own personal rules by which I govern my characters who use magical abilities in this type of roleplaying.

Actually, if anyone else has a different view on the subject, I'd very much like to hear it :)
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

Veteran
    that magic use is a mentally taxing skill that can manifest in physical energy drain (sort of like trying to replace mental energy with the physical, but there is loss in conversion. Like a WAV file to an MP3, in a way.) is something that I've always tried to have in my characters that used magic or some extra-physical ability.

I leave actual magic mechanics to the perception of the character/player. The only time I am concerned is when worlds touch, as it were, and the two must mesh somehow (take for example Kyra's magical abilities, compared to Cyr's, compared again to Seph's. They are completely different, and dependent on different energy forms. Or at least, different uses of the same conceptual perception of energy.

My point is that characters and people will generally think of things in quite different ways, but be looking at the 'same car accident' to use an illustration. It's all point of view.

edit:

Although personally, I've always felt that mana was like an invisible mist that seeps into the physical world from another plane. Those that can sense it cannot necessarily use it. And those that use it cannot necessarily sense it as powerfully as some others. Additionally, I believe some can 'see' and some can 'feel'. Some can 'refine' and some can 'craft'. What I mean by the last statement is that some can refine magic to a basic element (again, i'll use the example of oil to gas and the refining process there, or of a metal works that refines iron, gold, silver etc.) before 'packaging' it or using it, and those that use raw product to produce an effect. Either way, magic can be potent. I feel that those who use raw product are more primal and perhaps quicker on the draw but less potent.

However the refined sort of magic (that I imagine Cyr to use) is condensed and therefore potentially more powerful, but it takes much more effort mentally to use, and is not as quick on the draw - typically. It would take someone of Cyr's ability decades of study, experience, and practice to make it as natural as the 'primal' magic mentioned above, but with the same potency of the fully refined and condensed magical energies.

---------

just my take. had more time than I thought. I'm going to try to get to posting, but i've got a bit of things to do. one of which is getting more coal to survive. lol
    Last edited by Jolly Rensha; 12-07-2010 at 04:08.

Finished reading, if Ren is going to post I might wait until later to post.

Edit: Guess not, he went offline. Must be about 4pm in NZ so he probably needs to work.

@Arctic, you were the first to maim Duncan, Ren killed him, and then you had the general slash Ama to ribbons!!

Anyone mind a injury induced flashback in the middle of a battle?
    Last edited by Zran; 12-07-2010 at 05:29.

Zran - It's not really a flashback since you would be posting from the time she was injured to the present :)

Ren - The latter part of your post basically described the difference between the Sorcerer and Wizard classes. Sorcerers have a wide range of spells at varying levels of strength, but they are generally weaker due to their not needing to be prepared. Wizards have very limited At-Will spells, but have very powerful Prepared spells that usually only require a short break between fights to re-prepare. Exceptions to both rules exist, of course, but they have a different feel from each other when played. In Cyradis' case, she's technically a Sorcerer, but she's also very powerful due to certain conditioning and the aid of arcana such as the staff. To me, it doesn't make too much sense for her to become physically exhausted when casting magic (unless tapping her life force, which I detailed in earlier posts) but it is possible for her to become mana-drained. She would still be alert and only as fatigued as she physically exerted herself.

Kyra and Cyradis's magic are very different, in my opinion, though. Kyra has no magical ability and can not manipulate ley energy or mana or any other natural force at all. Her's is a purely physical prowess, but her devotion to Sarenrae has earned her the Goddess' favor and by prayer, she can call upon the Sarenrae to perform divine magic through her. I see it as thus: look at the world as being a ball submerged beneath the ocean with randomly spaced, tiny holes punched all around it. Mortals live inside the ball and grab the water seeping though to use as magic when, once used, returns to the ocean outside the ball. Gods exist on the outer surface of the ball, looking in, swimming in the vast ocean. Their access to the power is unlimited, and they are therefor capable of virtually neverending spellcasting, however, they can't cast through the ball itself, so they have to use a mortal vessel (an avatar) or a devotee. One can onyl wonder of what the beings who exist above the surface of the ocean are capable....
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

Veteran
    like the last statement. ;)

So then it sounds like we both see the same thing, in essence. Kyra isn't a magic user by nature, but by gift. Cyra's magic is more 'scientific' in a sense in that it has been broken down for her and others in kellei into it's constituent parts to better understand it. de-mystifying the mystical, as it were. And Cailey sounds to have a god-given gift in her connection to magic in that it is the intimate connection itself that is the gift, not a transmittal of godly energies itself (although, I'm sure that is also part of it).

Good analogy with the ocean. ;) Same coin different side, but much more filled out than my mistiness... ;)

Zran - don't wait on me. And I think you mean a flashback induced by the injury. As in, amateira's past?

Yes that's what I meant, lets see how interesting I can make island life. Wasn't going to go too far back only a few years at the first arrival of the Smugglers. When the islanders realised the world was much bigger than they suspected, etc.
    Last edited by Zran; 12-07-2010 at 13:33.

Nice post Zran, still some grammar issues, but it is at least over-lookable (yes i realize the irony of telling someone they could improve their grammar by making up a word) for the most part. I think you've created another interesting dynamic to rp out with a variety of crew members, that being she was captured by the smugglers, beaten and whatever else, and then ordered by Wek'au to leave with other foreigners. She may know we are not the same, but it's not so easy to forgive something like that. I can feel the tension brewing already ^_^

Thread Information