Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not happy.

I'm not happy.

fdgfdgfdgdfg
    Last edited by Spliff; 31-08-2008 at 14:21.

Moderator for:
    Earth
    Utopia

There are no new moderators, so any power trip we're on right now is pretty much the same power trip we've been on for the past few years. Except for one, who has been around for about 9 months I think, the most recent mod is from about 5 years ago if I remember correctly.

Why exactly would we need to play the game to moderate the forum? We all have at some point, some more than others, and some still do.

gfgdfgfdgfd

Moderator for:
    Earth
    Utopia

I generally don't comment on issues like that in public, but cut us some slack here. We've taken a lot of flak lately. The past month I've been insulted more than over the 6 years I've moderated combined. Add to that that they were rather provocative, and I can understand why it happened. I don't think it's a regular occurrence. Was it the right thing to do? No, probably not. But we are human and make mistakes. The same will be true no matter who you make a moderator.

As for the rules, I'm not sure I understand your complaint. I didn't write them and they haven't been modified for as long as I can remember. What exactly would you like to see done about them? Preferably something that will not result in page after page of different scenarios that no one will bother to read anyway.

And finally, just because we don't play the game it doesn't mean we have no idea whatsoever of what it's about. I've been here for 9 years, so I think it's safe to say I've picked up some things at least. Why would we be unable to tell what is and what isn't a "Utopia topic" (whatever that is supposed to mean) better or worse than anyone else?

k check this..

cdfgfdg

fdggfhfgh
    Last edited by Spliff; 31-08-2008 at 14:22.

It would help to have a Mod or two that played though.

Thin_White_Duke was an excellent Moderator in the sense that he was always there to help any newer players with questions. As a Mod that played the game he could step into Utopia related discussions and offer a mature point of view. I also think his presens often kept discussions on a friendlier basis, and it also gave the forum a feeling of being maturly moderated.

When you have moderators thats actually interested and involved, you will have Moderators that is given much more respect, because it is earned.

-IF we have a Mod that is contributing day to day and offering his constructive critisism, then the community will be much more inclined to accept without question when occassions occur that requier banning or other action. As apposed to the mod jsut being a name that drops by every now and then to delete somone posts/ ban them..

Respect is earned.

jsut the 2c of a longtime lurker, but in these forums at least, a man of few words up to date :)

ps. This is not directed at you btw Pheonix, from what I hear your one of the better Mods.

Moderator for:
    Earth
    Utopia

Why I'm here is a bit complicated, but the most immediate reason is that TWD who was supposed to replace me left, and B&S was without a moderator. So, I offered to help, and here I am. I've never really moderated UT and Strat beyond dropping by once in a while though.

As for participating, sure, that'd be great. Unfortunately, all but one of the new moderator for the past 5 years have left. I can only speak for myself of course, but I participated a lot before I was a mod and for a while afterwards. Considering that there were people who openly suggested I should be a mod way back when, I think I managed to earn some respect at least (in retrospect though, perhaps not the best way to appoint mods). But after 9 years, it's difficult to keep it up.

/me hands Phoenix a beer

It's a thankless job, cheers mate :)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Kingdoms
    Legends of Zork
    Utopia
    Earth
    While I'd rather not dredge up past postings, and what I said, what was meant, and how it was taken, etc, etc, etc...

If anyone would like to chat with me in private, I'd be more than happy to give my side of the story.

(smiles)

And I used to play, from the Beta's until Age...uh....12? 15?

I've been a Moderator since Nov 2000, also.
    Last edited by Mickster; 26-08-2008 at 15:33.
    Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh

Forum Addict
    I agree with AramA.
    Nothing personal,but you mods can be no real help if you don't play the game. TWD was.
    From a user's perspective, you're just random people with a mod-stick, who can only represent OMAC and not your own point of view. Yet they presumably don't pay you. I can't imagine what you get out of it, or even why you do it if you don't play the game. All I can say is, personally, life's too short for me to want to moderat a forum for a game I don't even play....
    I've played since Age 2 and before all this change went off, I wouldn't have even known your names,although I knew of TWD. Though I never saw him cause any kind of uproar.
    That's 'earned' respect.
    @ Mickster, I just go on what I read on the boards. I personally don't want to bother on any kind of 'inside view/my perspective' stuff, although some people might.

Moderator for:
    Earth
    Utopia

No real help? Er, okay, maybe not as far as the game is concerned, but that has never been part of our responsibilities or even a reason why we became moderators. It has, as far as I know, never been a factor in new mods we have considered either. Why would we need to? Any poster can help with that. We take care of the forum, that's about it, and at least I feel it's better to have a person I can trust to take care of the forum as a moderator than someone who is an expert at playing the game. It's not some kind of reward, it's a responsibility.

Had this discussion taken place 5 or 6 years ago back when I was new on the job, perhaps you'd have said the same thing about me as you just did about TWD. Back then, I had earned respect, or at least that was my impression. We're two very different generations of moderators though. I wouldn't be surprised if he had been less active 5 years from now, had he stayed. Would that have made him unfit for the job? Does it make me unfit?

Post Fiend

Thumbs up

Geez people give the Mods a break will you,its a thankless job at the best of times,there is no way they can please everyone,no matter what they do theres always going to be the whiners and moaners who think nothing the Mods do is right..
    Keep up the good work Moderators i for one thank you and think you are doing a terrific job:)
    To Err Is Human To Forgive Divine

dfhfhdfh
    Last edited by Spliff; 31-08-2008 at 14:22.

Forum Addict
    Phoenix, I still stand by what I said. The mods have become ultra-visible when previously they were invisible most of the time. TWD was more noticeable for me for his game posts than his modding.
    I don't know whether not playing the game makes you unfit for the mod job. However with the newness of OMAC (& pssibly the clueless of OMAC) (see the thread about 'spot rule changes) it makes me feel uneasy. If OMAC ask for your input on anything, how are you going to answer? And if they don't ask because they have no sense, I'd hope a mod would be able to proactively offer them an opinion if they appear to be likely to cause a problem inadvertantly. The mods have a pre-existing relationship with OMAC through their modding.
    Certainly I know that being a mod is not a reward. Anyone who sees it as such VERY seriously needs to get a life or some self esteem therapy!
    Last edited by Sweetiepie; 28-08-2008 at 02:19.

Thread Information