Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did McCain fully vette Palin? Or did he agree with the Conservatives?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Kingdoms
    Legends of Zork
    Utopia
    Earth

Did McCain fully vette Palin? Or did he agree with the Conservatives?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us...02vetting.html

"Up until midweek last week, some 48 to 72 hours before Mr. McCain introduced Ms. Palin at a Friday rally in Dayton, Ohio, Mr. McCain was still holding out the hope that he could choose a good friend, Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, independent of Connecticut, a Republican close to the campaign said. Mr. McCain had also been interested in another favorite, former Gov. Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania.

But both men favor abortion rights, anathema to the Christian conservatives who make up a crucial base of the Republican Party. As word leaked out that Mr. McCain was seriously considering the men, the campaign was bombarded by outrage from influential conservatives who predicted an explosive floor fight at the convention and vowed rejection of Mr. Ridge or Mr. Lieberman by the delegates.

Perhaps more important, several Republicans said, Mr. McCain was getting advice that if he did not do something to shake up the race, his campaign would be stuck on a potentially losing trajectory.

With time running out — and as Mr. McCain discarded two safer choices, Gov. Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota and former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, as too predictable — he turned to Ms. Palin. He had his first face-to-face interview with her on Thursday and offered her the job moments later. Advisers to Mr. Pawlenty and another of the finalists on Mr. McCain’s list described an intensive vetting process for those candidates that lasted one to two months."

With Gov Palin hiring a lawyer to defend her in the investigation with her brother in law, and all the other questions that are popping up...

(btw, I do NOT think that a candidate's family should even be a subject of conversation in a political debate. )
    Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh

Shes got some baggage to deal with.

this is why i mentioned McCain couldn't make a good pick.

and Palin is indeed a bad one.

Why will the conservatives never learn to educate their children better in the birds and the bees (to put it mildly)?

You know most teenage pregnancies and STD's occur in conservative states, because their children aren't educated into the dangers of life. Christian orthodox is often utter foolishness in this regard and Palin is just another perfect example of that.

Luckily McCain himself isn't that way, if anything he has every reason to hate the christian right (they already cost him an election).

In that respect in politics McCain is kind of like Winston Churchill was, with the only difference that McCain hasn't switched parties (yet).
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

I hate this woman, Palin.

She could seriously cost McCain the reagan democrats and moderates and thus the election.

She’s probably the best of the lot of them. The only ‘real’ person I’ve seen running anyplace near the top spot. God bless Mrs. Palin and what is for most of us the American Life. She’s normal! How cool is that? First real person I’ve EVER seen run for high office and actually have a shot at it. Thank you gracious and merciful God for the opportunity to have this excellent choice near the seat power over the entire world. My faith is restored that indeed some how the world is not irretrievably over run with scum hell bent and getting high.

Post Fiend
    Shes, normal? We need a normal, inexperienced VP? Near the seat of power over the entire world who is under investigation for abuse of powers?

And do normal people eat moose burgers and hunt from airplanes?

You do know she is a member of the Alaska Independence right? The Group that wants to succeed from the Union...

Post Fiend
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/04/us...l?ref=politics

I'll correct my own lie. She was not a member but her husband. Read the full article and enlighten yourself.

I don't hunt as much as when I was a kid. I leave the game to such as have greater need. These days I raise the beef I serve my family - I help that meat into this world on the day it’s born and I speak loving words to it till the day it dies. I am lucky in that I am able to hire a neighbor to do my slaughter and butchering, but make no mistake I would do and have done that work when I had to.

Never have hunted from an airplane. Scared of every moose I ever saw.

I would far rather my VP be a governor who deals on a daily basis with Russia and Canada, than my president be someone who’s done nothing in his life, other than be born the rich son of a government official of an African nation and grow up to be a slum lord. A poor one at that who without constant sweetheart deals propping him up would have long since gone bankrupt.

I dont think he realized how much baggage she has on her.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripple View Post
    I don't hunt as much as when I was a kid. I leave the game to such as have greater need. These days I raise the beef I serve my family - I help that meat into this world on the day it’s born and I speak loving words to it till the day it dies. I am lucky in that I am able to hire a neighbor to do my slaughter and butchering, but make no mistake I would do and have done that work when I had to.

Never have hunted from an airplane. Scared of every moose I ever saw.

I would far rather my VP be a governor who deals on a daily basis with Russia and Canada, than my president be someone who’s done nothing in his life, other than be born the rich son of a government official of an African nation and grow up to be a slum lord. A poor one at that who without constant sweetheart deals propping him up would have long since gone bankrupt.
    You need to wake up and smell reality.
    now it's been 10,000 years
    man has cried a billion tears
    for what he never knew
    now man's reign is through
    but through the eternal night

so very far away
    the twinkling of starlight
    maybe it's only yesterday...

Post Fiend
    And now she is reprimanded over abuse of power...

Great ticket the republicans put together there. lol.

Enthusiast
    after bush, no true republican would have a chance, simply because the damage to the name and the party he has caused, even though he isnt a true republican

mccain was a decent choice in that respect, but they might as well have given the vp spot to the devil himself by choosing palin

and if mccain wins? Reagan was in a similar place in the polls at this point as well....

Post Fiend
    and if mccain wins? Reagan was in a similar place in the polls at this point as well....
    Better be ready for a draft then... the military is going to need more than "I support our troops" bumper stickers.

Post Demon
    "I would far rather my VP be a governor who deals on a daily basis with Russia and Canada"

Dealing with Russia, yeah, maybe that counts as legitimate experience (though I am skeptical at how much the Alaska governor really has to deal with Russia as there is a significant body of water separating the 2 countries).

Dealing with Canada... I wasn't aware that counted as legitimate diplomatic experience. Barbaric, tought Canadians from the north, hunting seals for a living. Yeah, we're such a pain to deal with and very dangerous too.

As for Palin dragging McCain down, I'm sure she couldn't have helped, but McCain was in a bad spot to begin with.

First, he had the lovely McCain-Bush association many are making to deal with. Then, he had to deal with the fact that his opponent is by far a better orator than he is. And finally, he had to deal with the fact that the economy just was never a dominant part of his portfolio (he's obviously more interested about whats happening in Irak then at home) which wouldn't be such a setback if the US wasn't in the middle of an economic crisis.

Honestly, Palin is just the cherry on the top of the sunday.

Thread Information