Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil keeps dropping...

Post Fiend
    So you want cheap oil basically? Well maybe I over simplify things, but I just get annoyed the people in the US are whining that they have to pay a few $ more at the gas pump. Gas is still rather cheap in the US and people still drive hummers ford 350 etc. So first get some fuel economic cars/trucks the get decents gas prices $5.50 a gallon. Then we will talk.
    We pay over $8 per gallon. We just don't pay it all at the pump. You have to include the tax dollars used to protect shipping lanes and all that lovely stuff that the American people fund through taxes.

You also have to remember. Here in the US the cost of purchasing a home is much cheaper in the Suburbs than in the cities. So most people in the US have to drive at least 30 miles to get to work and back. Our country is also severely lacking in Public Transportation.

A little repost for you.

For better or worse, America is a nation on wheels. To get where they need to go, 90 percent of Americans say they usually drive, reporting an average of 87 minutes a day behind the wheel. For car commuters, it's an average of 100 minutes; for parents with children at home, an average of 104 minutes (compared with 77 minutes for people without kids at home).

The UK's car-addicted commuters face the longest average travelling times to work in Europe, according to figures released today by motoring organisation the RAC Foundation. At 45 minutes per day, the UK average is almost twice that of Italy.

As you can see we have double if not a little more than double in commute times in the US compared to the longest commute times in Europe.

BTW: I see more F-Jammers in the US than Hummers and they still only get like 15mpg on the highway. 10mpg in the city. And the ones driving them obviously don't worry about gas prices.

What you need to research instead of trying to play party lines BS is that this isnt new.
    I have. That's why I know who's funding who's campaign. :) I am NOT a Democrat or a Republican. I do not blindly follow some party line. I see who is getting money from where.

I have. That's why I know who's funding who's campaign. :) I am NOT a Democrat or a Republican. I do not blindly follow some party line. I see who is getting money from where.
    you know I just remembered some little political detail about Washington state.

Care to explain your views on immigration swirvin?
    Corruption is a serious impediment to civil liberties.

The level of competition determines how fast prices change in response to a change in costs. If gas stations can keep overcharging people after a drop in costs then it's a reasonable conclusion that there is insufficient competition in the market, either due to cartels, a lack of actors or lack of information.

Would be interesting with sources on that.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Post Fiend
    http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008...ward-mcca.html

Well there's one source for you.

Now what you have to do here is read between the lines. McCain received the Corporate money while O'Bama received 'private' money from employees of Big Oil. So the Article is trying to mislead you a little.

I'll find more if you want but I have to goto work right now. I'm sure you could handle a web search if you really wanted to. :)
    Last edited by Swirvin' Birds; 17-09-2008 at 14:21.

So you want cheap oil basically?
    Not really? What makes you say that?
    Im talking about a state regulated market to ensure fair play. That itself doesnt make oil cheap or expensive, just ensures fair play. Im not in the US either. People in US rarely call out to the state to do anything for them ;p

But yeah.. there are cars 4-5x as fuel efficient as the ones people drive. And yet they ***** and moan about gas prices.. sure everyone cant buy a new car just like that. But if you buy a new fuel drinking monster well.. SELF BURNED.

Post Fiend
    Just wanted to make a quick comment. Oil prices down 37%. Prices at the pump down 5%.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Swirvin' Birds View Post
    We pay over $8 per gallon. We just don't pay it all at the pump. You have to include the tax dollars used to protect shipping lanes and all that lovely stuff that the American people fund through taxes.
    I don't think it is fair to include all those other taxes, our tax systems are to different from that. Cars in the US are also a lot cheaper then in the Netherlands.

You also have to remember. Here in the US the cost of purchasing a home is much cheaper in the Suburbs than in the cities. So most people in the US have to drive at least 30 miles to get to work and back. Our country is also severely lacking in Public Transportation.
    Isn't that true everywhere? I just got a mortgage of €250.000 to buy a 1290 ft2 house in a suburb. This house needs new wiring, new kitchen etc etc. I don't know US house prices.

A little repost for you.

For better or worse, America is a nation on wheels. To get where they need to go, 90 percent of Americans say they usually drive, reporting an average of 87 minutes a day behind the wheel. For car commuters, it's an average of 100 minutes; for parents with children at home, an average of 104 minutes (compared with 77 minutes for people without kids at home).

The UK's car-addicted commuters face the longest average travelling times to work in Europe, according to figures released today by motoring organisation the RAC Foundation. At 45 minutes per day, the UK average is almost twice that of Italy.

As you can see we have double if not a little more than double in commute times in the US compared to the longest commute times in Europe.

BTW: I see more F-Jammers in the US than Hummers and they still only get like 15mpg on the highway. 10mpg in the city. And the ones driving them obviously don't worry about gas prices.
    I just moved but I commuted to, it took me between 30 minutes and 1hour + to get to my work, same when I went home. It was about 16-18mile drive each time. I don't have any statistics for the Dutch. Never heard of the term F-Jammers. But isn't the fact the the US is a nation on wheel not in it's self disturbing? and that as long as it is true the gas prices are not a real issue because people will drive anyway?

Post Fiend
    Care to explain your views on immigration swirvin?
    I'll get to others later. Just home on lunch. I am all for LEGAL immigration. Against ILLEGAL immigration. In case you forget, All Americans (Excluding Native Americans) including Canada are immigrants. I'm 3rd generation American from Norway/Sweden.

Swirvin Birds
    Just wanted to make a quick comment. Oil prices down 37%. Prices at the pump down 5%.

Oil price isnt the only factor behind the gas price though. Secondly the price of today is far less important than the future price estimations are. For instance, oil price went up today, still we had the largest price drop in years.. just looking at the oil price is retarded, you have to take the whole economic situation into consideration.

Youre hardly legal immigrants either.. you gave yourself the right to immigrate, so are they.. i dont think the indians approved of your immigration more than you approve of the border jumpers of today ^^

Post Fiend
    No, My grandfather/grandmother came from Scandinavia in 1908. I did goof, I'm 2nd generation. I was counting my grandfather since he came over when he was 18. They had nothing to do with that period in American history.

So you think we need to just go back in time?

How about the counties of Europe just allow any other European or middle eastern country just walk right on in. Open up the boarders of the world because at one time or another some piece of land somewhere was claimed by someone else. Didn't the Franks at one time hold a large portion of Europe? Or how about the Mongols, The Vikings... Hey, I'm part Norwegian. I should be able to just walk right into Norway and do whatever the hell I want.

How about we give these Native American tribes back all their land here in the US and then they can fight amongst themselves about which tribe had conquered which other tribes lands and so on and so forth...

How about homeland security?? All for some cheap farm labor that sucks money out of the US economy and sent to the Mexican Economy? No thanks.

Post Fiend
    All the other factors make up the 32% in the price difference? And the Oil Companies are still making mad profits? Show me the numbers because 2+2 is not equaling 4.
    Last edited by Swirvin' Birds; 18-09-2008 at 07:23.

Post Fiend
    don't think it is fair to include all those other taxes, our tax systems are to different from that. Cars in the US are also a lot cheaper then in the Netherlands.
    Then someone is screwing you over. :)

Isn't that true everywhere? I just got a mortgage of €250.000 to buy a 1290 ft2 house in a suburb. This house needs new wiring, new kitchen etc etc. I don't know US house prices.
    Depends a whole lot on where you live in the US. In California your house would probably be worth (guessing here) close to 1 million. In the middle of New Mexico... maybe 80k. Again I'm making numbers up here but I'm not grossly exaggerating. Where I live in Wa state my home is about 1600 sq feet. Built in 1978. Have had to re-wire a few outlets and ceiling lights and such myslef. It's been a fixer uper. Worth about 230k and this is in a cheaper part on the West coast of Wa.

I just moved but I commuted to, it took me between 30 minutes and 1hour + to get to my work, same when I went home. It was about 16-18mile drive each time. I don't have any statistics for the Dutch. Never heard of the term F-Jammers. But isn't the fact the the US is a nation on wheel not in it's self disturbing? and that as long as it is true the gas prices are not a real issue because people will drive anyway?
    It's those Toyota FJ Cruisers. Yes but using a standard statistic are you the exception or the rule? I'm just using what I found because I was curious.

Europeans need to learn to B*+ch more about gas prices. :)

just looking at the oil price is retarded, you have to take the whole economic situation into consideration.
    I agree with you. But they take record profits while we get record prices. You tell me we are not getting screwed and they not are benefiting from it. Thats the bottom line no matter how many factors you throw into it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Swirvin' Birds View Post
    High gas prices aren't necessarily bad; they create a demand for cars that don't use as much gas and thus forces the companies to focus their research on making cars that are more friendly towards the environment instead of the gas guzzlers that were popular with low gas costs. In the end we're all winners.
    Last edited by AFKain; 18-09-2008 at 12:22.

Swirvin Birds
    i didnt say that.. youre jumping to conclusions.. :)

How about homeland security?? All for some cheap farm labor that sucks money out of the US economy and sent to the Mexican Economy? No thanks.

Im quite confident the cheap labour boosts your economy more than it hurts it.. cheap labour usually does. Even if they send a large portion of their wage back they still have to cover living expenses in america.. so they produce value in form of both production and consumption.. not like theres a shortage of jobs anyway.

(im against it though, since its opportunistic exploatation of the weak.. but thats different story)

Or just stop using as much gas? I think the sooner is far more achievable than getting lower prices by whining.. what do you think?

If you buy a car that uses 2-3 times more gas than it has to your a retard and lost your right to complain about gas price. period.

AFKain
    dont try to feed the american common sense.. hell spit it out.

Post Fiend
    Even if they send a large portion of their wage back they still have to cover living expenses in america
    Obviously you haven't been to immigrant housing on farms. They don't even pay rent.

not like theres a shortage of jobs anyway.
    Unemployment in the US right now is the highest in 5 years. The Jobs are going away.

Or just stop using as much gas? I think the sooner is far more achievable than getting lower prices by whining
    I was teasing. And I drive a 35+mpg car. And I actually agree with you. Doesn't mean were not getting the shaft though.

dont try to feed the american common sense.. hell spit it out.
    I have the common sense as do MANY Americans. Record profits with record prices. Oil companies are making a killing. You can try to say it's because of this factor and that factor and I'll agree there are many factors. But who is making record profits and charging record prices?

Thread Information