Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oil keeps dropping...

Post Fiend
    Im quite confident the cheap labour boosts your economy more than it hurts it..
    So does Slave labor. Should we go back to slavery? Child labor would boost the economy too.

Does not mean it's a good thing.

Post Fiend
    *deleted double post*
    Last edited by Swirvin' Birds; 18-09-2008 at 20:46.

Obviously you haven't been to immigrant housing on farms. They don't even pay rent
    And obviously you fail to see how thats comparable with a paid benefit. That way its just money taken out of the pay placed on living expenses.. money still stays within the borders.. they pay rent by getting less money for their job.. in the end its all the same.

Unemployment in the US right now is the highest in 5 years. The Jobs are going away.

Dont mistake underemployment with an actual shortage of jobs. Shortage of jobs that the people want and a shortage of jobs overall are different things.

Oil companies are making a killing.

So is walmart, mcdonalds and coca cola. And trust me, americans arent the once who is getting tricked in todays money game..

So does Slave labor. Should we go back to slavery? Child labor would boost the economy too.

Stop trying to switch topics.. i never said we should exploit workers at all, just said you shouldnt ***** about the alleged costs for your economy when its probably making you more money in the end.. never implied that makes it the right thing to do.

So no, it doesnt make it a good thing. But that wasnt the argument you made either.

Regular
    For those that like whining about oil companies' profits: why don't you just shut up and buy their shares? Aren't those companies so obscenely profitable? What are you waiting?

About the employment issue: if there were less regulation in the labor market there would be very little unemployment. In crisis time salaries would drop until it is worth hiring you, and in boom times salaries would go up as employers bid for the workers they need. Look at us the europeans: our labor markets are much more intensely regulated than in US, and our unmeployement rates are ALWAYS higher than there. In Spain during the boom time that just finished we dropped it to 8.5% at its best point, and now it's again over 10.5% and growing really fast. I bet we will break 20% before we start recovering. And unemployment is something that really harms economies, since it's a big waste of a valuable resource (that is, workforce).

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
    Capitalism in action baby.
    eh...no, that is a monopoly in action.

they've been slowly raising the prices on us for yrs. Only now with emergining India/China is it actually legit.

Wanna know why gas price is going back down? Because we're now at the thresh hold of where it would be feasible/cheaper to use alternative fuels.

In Netherlands, do they measure in gallons or liters?

1 gallon=3 liters

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke View Post
    About the employment issue: if there were less regulation in the labor market there would be very little unemployment. In crisis time salaries would drop until it is worth hiring you, and in boom times salaries would go up as employers bid for the workers they need. Look at us the europeans: our labor markets are much more intensely regulated than in US, and our unmeployement rates are ALWAYS higher than there. In Spain during the boom time that just finished we dropped it to 8.5% at its best point, and now it's again over 10.5% and growing really fast. I bet we will break 20% before we start recovering. And unemployment is something that really harms economies, since it's a big waste of a valuable resource (that is, workforce).
    Personally, I think there should be even less regulation than what there currently is here in US.

Soon minimum wage will make it nigh impossible for new companies to get started legit (if it isn't already).

I've learned a lot from my illegal friends/competitors. Most problems in US actually stem from people's comfort levels/high expectations.

Let me elaborate, My dad and I used to do general construction. We shared a five bedroom house with my mother. We did excellent work cheaper than what any other honest contractor could.

We couldn't compete with an immigrant (mostly illegal) family living next door.
    They had 14 people (four of which I know did general contracting) living in the same sized house as what my parents and I did. Most were employed (under the table).

There is no way that an american can compete against that legally.

LOL....sorry for the rant, guess it's a bit off topic
    *smiles sheepishly*

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by insane View Post
    eh...no, that is a monopoly in action.

they've been slowly raising the prices on us for yrs. Only now with emergining India/China is it actually legit.

Wanna know why gas price is going back down? Because we're now at the thresh hold of where it would be feasible/cheaper to use alternative fuels.

In Netherlands, do they measure in gallons or liters?

1 gallon=3 liters
    In the Netherlands we use liters, I don't think many countries use gallons anymore. The US, UK and Australia are the only countries I can come up with that use gallons. Yeee for the metric system.

Here the current prices are about €1.55 to €1.60 for euro95 super plus is about €1.60, diesel is about €1.33 per liter.

according to google this morning, 1 U.S. dollar = 0.711845103 Euros.

1US gallon = 3.7854118 liter
    1UK gallon = 4.54609 liter

I realy don't understand why certain countries keep using , gallons, mile, feet etc etc it is such an archaic system. But that is a other discussion.
    now it's been 10,000 years
    man has cried a billion tears
    for what he never knew
    now man's reign is through
    but through the eternal night

so very far away
    the twinkling of starlight
    maybe it's only yesterday...

Thread Information