Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Starvation

Question on Starvation

Hi there,

I heard that when a province runs out of food, the military, wizards and peasants start leaving. Is this true? And do they leave in proportion to how much food 'debt' there is? E.g. the more people who are starving (the less food you have) do more people leave?

Oh while I'm at it, how does the concept of overpopulation work? Does a province need to have a current population which is a certain percentage (for example, 130%) of his "maximum" population for his province to be overpopulated? And what are the effects of overpopulation?

And finally, what happens when a province runs out of gold to pay for the military?

Thanks in advance :)

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by pook1e View Post
    Hi there,

I heard that when a province runs out of food, the military, wizards and peasants start leaving. Is this true? And do they leave in proportion to how much food 'debt' there is? E.g. the more people who are starving (the less food you have) do more people leave?

Oh while I'm at it, how does the concept of overpopulation work? Does a province need to have a current population which is a certain percentage (for example, 130%) of his "maximum" population for his province to be overpopulated? And what are the effects of overpopulation?

And finally, what happens when a province runs out of gold to pay for the military?

Thanks in advance :)
    woah, thats alot of question

starving: yes, the more -ve you are in food, the more people leave
    it affects everything, wizzies, pezzies, troops, theives

overpopulation: IIRC above 115% you're army wont attack, and above 125% (130%?) your theives wont work, have yet to hear about wizzies not working
    also, your army and pezzies will start to leave (but wizzies dont!)

and if you dont have enough gold, your military wont attack (not 100% sure if it leaves...)

Haha yeah, lotsa questions.

First up, what does IIRC mean?

For overpopulation, approximately how many TM's in succession would you need to make? And how long would the province be crippled for in Utopian days?

Cheers :)

If I remember correctly, IIRC is If i remember correctly.

Banned
    I have never had a province starving so I don't know for sure but from what I have been told from team mates of the past that have had there people starving is that you lose population.
    As for the question about overpopulating a province by changing them. Well the term "over populating" a province gives the wrong idea about what is really happening. When a province is being over populated by being changed the province loses so much max population that their military prevents any kind of a work force. Two main way to fight against over population by being changed. 1. keeping 100% jobs filled and 2. homes. Having a 100% jobs fill mean you already have 33% population of your land that can be lost and still have a strong econ and still keep your RAWBE at 100%; in other words, if you should be chained and have a 100% jobs filled you can lose up to 33% of your land without being over populated. Having homes makes one's population bigger and lesses the need to fill jobs that will never be filled. Homes make it more likely for one to keep 100% jobs filled while still have a strong army.
    There is another type of over population say you have town watch casted and you are already at max population but you need a little more def for a few more hours. What you can do is what I like to call "buffing up". The way you "buff up" is by kidnap a lot of people from a province with low tpa that you are waring against say around 2,000-5,000 people. Your province will be over populated, however, while town watch is in affect those extra 2,000-5,000 will fight and protect your province.
    A few things to remember about buffing up. It works better at bigger land sizes and in order to city buff well one needs to have a strong force when it comes to covert ops.
    I read greenie's post and I have to add something if not paid military will leave.
    Last edited by vines; 06-09-2008 at 04:35.

Hmm, ok thanks for the replies.

@vines: I get the second definition of overpopulation but the first one confuses me :S So you're saying that overpopulation is to do with your rawBE and peasantry? If that is the case, then wouldn't peasant killing (FB and kidnapping runs) also cause the effects of "overpopulation", since jobs won't be completely filled?

Oh and another question, do the %age "Thieves caught" effect of Clear sight and WT stack? And if so, do they do so additively or multiplicatively? I sound so pretentious lol...
    Last edited by pook1e; 06-09-2008 at 05:13.

Banned
    In the first over population type military overwhelms the province due to sudden max population that there is no workforce. In other words the military gets so big that all jobs are unfilled leaving a province unable to making money. There are ways to fight against this and I have explain them already. I wish you good luck with your province.

Sir Postalot
    firstly, vines is either extremely ignorant of how the game works, or a complete troll, so please ignore him =)

UNDERPOPPED is when you have significantly LESS population than your max pop (ie your pop is ~60-50% of max pop)
    OVERPOPPED is when you have so MUCH population you are unable to attack/op (ie your pop is >120% of max pop)

we ASSUME that CS and WT's stack, as most other bonus's in utopia are multiplicative (its extremely hard to prove true either way)
    Last edited by _greenie; 06-09-2008 at 05:48.

Banned
    greenie either you are ignorant of how the game works or you are a complete troll. I'm telling how thing work. Causing overpopulation through changing work the way I have explained it. pook1e as for the question about clear sight. Say you 50% watchtowers so you have a 50% chance of keeping someone from opping your province. If you cast clear sight the person trying to do the op would normal have only 37.5% chance after casting clear sight(65.5catch instead of 50%). However, that is not the case, clear sight give one a flat rate of 25% regardless of anything is really if you have 50% catch and you cast clear sight you will have 75%catch. Yup yup that's how it works.
    Last edited by vines; 06-09-2008 at 06:16. Reason: I had to put information in that would better help the reader understand the infromation.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by vines View Post
    greenie either you are ignorant of how the game works or you are a complete troll. I'm telling how thing work. Causing overpopulation through changing work the way I have explained it. pook1e as for the question about clear sight. Say you 50% watchtowers so you have a 50% chance of keeping someone from opping your province. If you cast clear sight the person trying to do the op would normal have only 37.5% chance after casting clear sight(65.5catch instead of 50%). However, that is not the case, clear sight give one a flat rate of 25% regardless of anything is really if you have 50% catch and you cast clear sight you will have 75%catch. Yup yup that's how it works.
    if you say so...
    but with so many other things being multiplicative (ie, pop, BE, income, military effectiveness) its a fairly good assumption that many other things, such as mod WPA/TPA and CS+WT's should be multiplied together as well =)

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by vines View Post

If you had 50% WT noone would even bother trying to thief op or attack you because they realize of how horrid that province's war build is, and assume you to be a newb =\

I'm pretty sure it is multiplied however, and not added

Banned
    It is not added. It's separate one would get 50% catch from the watch towers and then the clear sight would act separately with another 25%.

No, vines, they multiply, because they ARE multipliers - same with sapphire dragon.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Banned
    I don't matter it no one really care about something like that anyways.

Now you're contradicting yourself.
    That's vines' way of expressing anger that he's lost an argument, just so you all know.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Thread Information