Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome/Artisan Build

Regular

Gnome/Artisan Build

How is this building strat for a gnome/artisan trying to be an A/T and maintaining a decent wpa while growing fast because of a late start:

40% Homes
    7.5% Farms
    20% Guilds
    20% TDs
    12.5% Stables

If your being Aided until you can find easy gold farms you might be able to catch up, but I wouldnt expect to do any attacks so I'd drop the stables. Its just worthless horse NW for troops you wont be sending out until you have TG and Forts.

Regular
    i have a question: do TGs affect NW? since gnomes are NW hoarders it may be a good idea to get rid of stables for TGs when the time comes, if that is the case. what do you think?

Banned
    I have a way you can using gnome artisan. I used it last age when I started the game late in the 8th year. I ended up with well over 5000acres.
    Homes: 30%
    Farms: 8-9%
    Banks: 20%-22.5%
    Mills: 20%-22.5%
    Guilds: 10%-12%
    Towers: 5%
    chedrah I don't know if Tgs add to net worth. I thought they didn't but I hear people say they so who knows for sure.

Post Fiend
    PFFT! rofl! what phase is that vines?

No TG dont add to your NW (other than the standard built acre NW value).

Horses add 0.6 NW per horse, so around 36NW/A of stables, more for artisan.

Post Fiend
    whats with all the homes? you don't need that many. if your trying to grow fast build banks. go 40% guilds if you want a high WPA and 25% banks. either way your strat stinks anyway.

Regular
    OK, thank you, but could you explain why and how bad it stinks in mathematical terms please?

PS: Remember, I am not just trying to grow fast, I am also trying to fulfill the role of an A/T at the same time. Would you suggest that I focus on either one or the other at any given time?
    Last edited by chedrah; 14-09-2008 at 17:42.

Banned
    Oh you are trying to be A/T. In that case the build you are running is very good build. If you put 6.25% into Forts and other 6.25% into Tgs this will give you more opa and dpa and combined they make one's military far stronger than 12.5% stables would.

Its probably easier to grow as a defensive T first and explore for a while. Once you have some sciences you can pump your offence and really be an A/T.

It depends if your KD is warring or aiding you though really and what time frame this is over.

Regular
    It looks like my KD loves wars, 4 wars so far. They are ~1200 acres on avg (800 - 1800 actually) and I am only 440 right now. I have been pumping wizzies and science, thieving and plundering some nice gold farms I discovered at my NW range, but I think I will take up on your suggestion and sit on defence and begin exploring until I am big enough to really be of use to my KD.

So, an explorer/thief build until ~1200 acres is on the way:

7.5% Farms
    42.5% Guilds
    25% TDs
    25% Mills

after that, i will go back to my original build, slightly modified:

40% Homes
    7.5% Farms
    10% Guilds
    20% TDs
    22.5% TGs

do you think having so many homes will give me an edge opnw wise or will it just make things worse? i will try to maintain a 1:1:1.5 ratio of def specs:elites:off specs.

Replace some of those TG with Forts, it will mean you wont need as many elites at home so can send more out and have more offensive troops. 12.5 TG to 10 Forts will prolly be about right.

Having so many homes might be a bit excessive, it will be ok once you have the troops but I would up homes gradually as you actually train all the soldiers you can afford to draft.

Also keep some banks, you dont want to waste all your stealth in stealing gold and youll need money to replace lost thieves and troops.

Banned
    Ishandra makes a good point about the homes. Home limit one's make income. So maybe start off with 30% and as you explore more slowly build more homes.

Vines, what did I tell you about going back on your words?
    Last time you talked about homes, they were the bomb, and your province simply couldn't survive without 50%. Has that changed?
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Post Fiend
    Taking up less space:

- Too many homes. 30% should be fine. And this comes from a guy who loves homes.
    - I guess the farms are alright. You could cut them down to 5%, steal the rest, and wait for your food sci to improve, though (as an artisan, farms are 25% more effective already)
    - Guilds are fine, if you're growing fast.
    - You could, theoretically, cut down some 5% TDs, to get some space.
    - 12.5% stables!? What are you, insane? A vines multi? Get rid of AT LEAST 5% of those stables (bringing its number to 7.5%). As an artisan, that should suffice.

Use that extra space in:
    - 10% Forts, 10% TGs.
    - Maybe some few towers? I know you can steal runes n' stuff, but... dunno. Alternatively, 2.5% dungeons, because prisoners are cool anyway.

Thread Information