Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why all elite gnome = bad?

Why all elite gnome = bad?

Hi all, I have been observing many threads in this forum and found that an all elite gnome is generally look down upon. Can anyone enlighten me why this is so?

Seriously I am considering playing an all elite gnome next age..

Enthusiast
    Because all elite army bloats you nwpa.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

5/0 = 4 NW
    0/5 = 5 NW
    5/5 = 5.25 NW

Main reason to use gnome elites for standard defense (which you don't plan on sending out) is resistance to Meteor Showers and Nightmares, Night Strike as well if you're straight attacker. Fewer elites lost to those. Very little difference between gnome elites and gnome def specs, and suiciding capability can be useful at times.

Using gnome elites for offense is trickier. It raises your NW quite a lot for no extra offense, giving you extra defense with your army at home. Main factor in determining how many elites to use for offense is activity level. If you hit a lot then you benefit less from the potential defense boost. Also depends on how offensive your kingdom is overall. Do you actively pursue conflicts and accept challenges, or would you prefer avoiding them? A full elite offense gnome kingdom, is about impossible to wave unless more than 8 armies or so are out or there is a Learn target you can hit repeatedly.

During war, it's useful to have at least 2 ospa and 2 dspa or so on all for rapid dragon slaying, all elite would be quite foolish. You need some elites to keep you from being chained easily, but I'd say most of the time you don't need full elite offense. Unless you're very defensive on a KD level and at limited activity.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Veteran
    Your size in the KD can also be a factor for how many elites you want to have for offense, if you are one of the biggest provinces leaving enough elites home that the enemy can't break you can be very useful in war.

Postaholic
    people say all elite gnomes are bad because it inflates ur networth and u will have less military than a non-full-elite gnome at the same networth

however full elite offers a lot of advantages as well, for example its cheaper, it offers u more flexibility/tactical advantage, and its nearly impossible to NS or nightmare u down. plus u can save credits oow and use them during war when u r short of money

overall its very difficult to say if one really is better than the other, it depends on what u r using the gnome for

You send out half your elites to break someone, then tell me it's equal to, or better than, a mixed army.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by waheed
    however full elite offers a lot of advantages as well, for example its cheaper, it offers u more flexibility/tactical advantage, and its nearly impossible to NS or nightmare u down.
    Isnt NS'in a gnome generally pretty hard anyway?

And if you are at war, theres no meaning in having 100%-leets, since your army alway should be out anyway.

All elite gnome is better simply because you can turtle. None turtling races = dead.

Does super inflated networth really matter so much in a war? if so can someone tell me how does it affect the prov.

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanSaGa
    All elite gnome is better simply because you can turtle. None turtling races = dead.
    lol?

@lysic
    rosedragoness is right. Since gains are based on NW, having a high NW isnt a good thing, unless you can back it up...

Forum Fanatic
    Biggest hitter on the server is an a gnome with ~5-10% of their army as defspecs and the rest elites.

Postaholic
    ya NSing a gnome is hard, but if ur enemy has a big unbreakable gnome attacker with 2~3tpa its perfectly legit to pump ur gnome t/m to 6~7 raw tpa to NS him down

of course im assuming that hes talking about gnome attacker, not gnome a/t. if gnome a/t, u should still go elite offense because for a/t, flexibility matters more than small increases in offense per networth
    Last edited by waheed; 19-09-2008 at 20:39.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    Biggest hitter on the server is an a gnome with ~5-10% of their army as defspecs and the rest elites.
    lol, zauper, that doesnt count =)

dont know what ppl wrote here dont care :)

here is what i think:

first i will start with you shouldnt train off units with GN even so it has lower nw
    (4gc per off unit) train only elites and def units!

def units should be about 25%-33% from total army (rest is elites)
    not going to explain why i just recommend you do it

now def unit = 5gc per unit on nw
    and elite unit = 5.25gc per unit on nw

so the nw will be the same more or less no metter what the elites % in the army

so why all elites is bad? well the only thing i can say is its not...but...
    ppl look on the off and elites all the time so if you have high/huge off/elites you will be most likly to be a main chain target!

thats all i have to say about that :))

Thread Information