Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Experienced Monarchs – Strategy Continuity

Postaholic
    i need to correct this:

"try and chain someone over a period >4 hours =)"

it doesnt matter how long the chain is spanned over, as long as the target gets brought down to the right size and allow enough time to overpop. for example if his army is out for 12 hours, and u chained him to 1/3 of his size over 5 hours, he still has a good 7 hours to overpop and loose troops. in fact its probably better to span ur chains a bit longer because sometimes if u wait 2~3 hours he will loose enough defense (or if he login and release some) for u to double or triple tap and consequently bring him down even lower than u would have if u hit in same hour

its far more important to start ur chaining as soon as his army leaves (if his army is gonna be back in 3 hours there is no point chaining him even if u can all hit in 1 hour)

another thing i would like to add to the list is if u r a gnome and u r far from being unbreakable, NEVER cast townwatch in war (unless u r trying to make someone bounce)!! u'll regret it

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by _greenie View Post
    DONT DO: (and feel free to correct me if im wrong)
    FB/kidnap + chain (common mistake!)
    Very interested to know people's thinking/logic on this one.

Forum Fanatic
    hatter:

greenie is correct there. If you fb/kidnap the prov prior to chaining it, it won't get (or will get severely reduced) desertions as you have substantially lowered its population.

greenie:
    You are wrong. I would NS prior to NM. Killing more > retraining more.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    hatter:

greenie is correct there. If you fb/kidnap the prov prior to chaining it, it won't get (or will get severely reduced) desertions as you have substantially lowered its population.

greenie:
    You are wrong. I would NS prior to NM. Killing more > retraining more.
    well, for chaining, NM, then NS... cause then the troops come back and over pop them better...

any other time, NS > NM (imo)

Banned
    Sure it is. You are asking what a good king does for staring a war and during and winning war. A good king doesn't sick to any plans. A good leader is like water and makes his kingdom like water. When the opponent pushes forward the kingdom moves to the side, when the opponent pushes to the side the kingdom moves to the back, when the opponent pushes to back the kingdom moves to side. And slowly the opponent will be come surrounded due to it's own movements and the opponent will use more energy to brake free from the kingdom but that will only weaken them faster and more so. Look most kings that think themselves good will not go into a war that they don't think they can win. The trick is to show weaken to the opponent's strong points and as soon as the war start work towards nullify the opponent's strong points. The better the kingdom the quicker they will nullify the opponent's strong points. If an opponent has a big and powerful military you make there military small and weak. If they have strong magic and thievery you take there land force them to make the choice to let go military unit or wizards and thieve. Most thieve/mages will let go of wizards and thieves because if they let of military units they will only make it easier to brake them thus taking more land, so almost always the t/m will let of thieves and mages. If the opponent is fast make it so speed doesn't matter. A good king will make his kingdom into a good kingdom and a good kingdom does not get chain in war because that only leaves the opponent open to attack and to land they will never see again. And a good leader know the way one achieves all these things differs from opponent to opponent. So as you can see I gave you the best advice any one will ever give you. Learn how to adjust and see your opponent's movements before they execute them.

Forum Fanatic
    Actually, most intelligent players will never release wizzies.

Veteran
    It works similarly to how intelligent people wouldn't take advice from vines.

On the subject of NM and NS I think that the thieves that NM remove would warrant using NM first, assuming that the target isn't very easy to get through on.

Banned
    They would if they lost a 1,000 acres either give up wizards/thieves or military. And in war giving up one's military is much like singing one's own death note.

If you're sitting on 15 wpa in a tough war, it's often a good idea to release some.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Forum Fanatic
    In what situation in the current system would you ever be sitting on 15 wpa in a tough war? You were... 5k acres with 3 wpa and got hit to 1k acres? Doubtful, based purely on, you know, the inability to effectively chain in war. But, you can landlust for decent gains using that in order to maintain your ability to hit. In this situation, your def is already dead. The only question is whether or not you can hit. The only way to answer that question is situationally, but chances are, you can hit and save your wizzies at the same time, presuming that everyone in the other kd is not substantially larger than you, and if they are, then you couldn't have been chained down to that point in the first place. o.O

Also, you can always retrain military. It actually takes time to get wizzies back.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    hatter:

I see. Thx greenie/Zauper.

One thing we do (mid lvl) is fireball/tornado before mini chains (4-6 hits) on low WPA targets with high draft - the goal being to drop the targets pezzies to below 1k (even 2k) before their land comes in, without of course deviating much from max gains. This seems to work well (mid lvl kingdoms are generally no good at using aid), but should we be doing something else? Again, very interested to hear people's opinions.

Veteran
    If I were you I would FB the provinces you don't hit. The provinces you do hit will lose peasants (and troops) anyway because they don't have enough room for them anymore, when you FB before the semi chain you are basically taking away peasants that would disappear anyway and saving them the troops that would desert.

FBing the provinces you don't hit will mean that they will get fat and don't generate income or train troops, you won't have to worry about them outgrowing you and you can take their acres before the war ends.

Postaholic
    actually nightmaring before NSing is not a bad idea depending on the target's wpa. nightmare also takes away a significant amount of thieves, if ur tpa wasnt high enough to begin with u can still achieve very good success rate after the target has been NMed

or it can be mixed up i guess? high tpa go NS first, then nightmare and let low tpa ppl spam ns

Forum Fanatic
    yes, but if you're having your rogues (or a/t) ns after you nm, that's pretty silly.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKain View Post
    If I were you I would FB the provinces you don't hit. The provinces you do hit will lose peasants (and troops) anyway because they don't have enough room for them anymore, when you FB before the semi chain you are basically taking away peasants that would disappear anyway and saving them the troops that would desert.
    definetly a fan of FB'ing the high income provs we don't hit, but with the mini chains my thinking was that the pezzie numbers will hit a much lower min if the starting pezzie number is lowered beforehand (the target being the critical level of 1k or thereabouts where aid is needed to continue to function, and the pezzies can't grow back on ther own to a functional level)

Thread Information