Thread: Help! War spoils vs Ambush

Post Fiend

Help! War spoils vs Ambush

If a gnome casts war spoils before attacking, can the attack-ee then ambush the gnome? If so, does he get 0 acres?

This situation's never come up for me, and I just happened to think of the question as I was looking over our war earlier today.

I would assume that the person who got attacked could no longer ambush if WS had been used but am hoping the Utopian community can answer this question once and for all.

Sir Postalot
    nope
    cant ambush if they use WS

Enthusiast
    Is it worth casting War Spoils?

I was thinking you cast War Spoil and attack. You can't get Ambushed but you can get one retal Traditional Attack, and because you gained the acres instantly you loose X more acres.

Versus

Not casting War Spoil but getting Ambushed + Traditional. But as you haven't gotten those instant acres the Trad attack is lower.

Of course the acres and NW etc count in, but if we generalise everything, what is the best; with which do you lose less acres ?

Pros:
    - If you're at max pop, WS means more peasants sooner and a larger buffer in case you get chained (delaying desertions slightly)
    - If you have spare building credits, WS means more buildings sooner
    - Cannot be ambushed (not usually a factor for gnomes unless you get chained, ambushing a gnome is poor economy)
    Cons:
    - Slightly higher acre losses if you're attacked
    - Can sometimes lead to higher desertions in case of very heavy chaining, especially if combined with suiciding

I wouldn't use WS if you're significantly underpopulated. Otherwise it's useful most of the time.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Use War Spoils when doing random hits during peace time, and don't in war time unless severely overpop'ed.

I'd use WS in war if I was at max pop.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadi View Post
    Use War Spoils when doing random hits during peace time, and don't in war time unless severely overpop'ed.
    if you were severely overpopped enough, you probs wouldnt be able to hit =)

Thread Information