Thread: some question

some question

-is dwarf / merchant a good combo?
    -should i keep on expanding if i am using dwarf race?

Sir Postalot
    1) see worse, but its definately not one of the "best"
    its certainly very solid tho =)
    2) expanding? eh?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Dwarfs aren't that great, but it's manageable.

and it depends on what the rest of your kd is doing as far as growing. If the rest of the kd is staying small then you should stay small too. Just ask your monarch what you should be doing.

Postaholic
    dwarf anything thats not rogue is viable

thanks above,and..

1,some claim that stables are not worth to build.why?and what races are definitely needless to build stables?elf?orc?

Postaholic
    orc is the only race that have convincing reasons not to use stable

all the other races there have been debates about whether or not stables are worth it. however if u want a good attacking province its a good idea to build stables

and before anyone start making arguments against stables ill just say this first. most of the arguments i see here are ppl trying to compare 10% TG with 10% stables to "prove" that TG>stable and u dont need it. but the fact is u need BOTH TG AND stables for attacker. i also see ppl compare forts to stables, but every single time they forget that horses gets mods from TG/honor/generals; they also forget u can build TG/fort/stable too. there are also arguments about how if u build homes and train all 8 extra pop u'll end up with better offense. the fact is in reality u r not gonna be able to train them all and declare right away while nice and shiny, and it just dont work.

the reason why orcs can be justified for not using stable is because those 10% land will provide relatively small offense boost compare to what they already have, and its better to put those lands into more banks or homes or hospitals, it doesnt mean u can put those land somewhere in fort/TG for more offense (20%+ TG is a MUST for orcs imo regardless of stable%. kind of dumb to go to 30%)

It has more to do with getting the most out of buildings. A horse will increase the power of a 5 point spec 20%. Takes 18% training grounds to get an equivalent percentage increase. So, it often takes less buildings to mount your spec than get TGs.
    Dolgil Rosethorn
    If it's broke, fix it.
    If it's not, don't.
    If you do not like the results, change your methods.
    Quit making the same old mistakes. Make new ones.

however there is always a nw-efficiency angle to consider, and the % depends on how many elites you are using and what the offensive power of those elites are.

it may be a better idea to mix TGs and stables if you are using off specs for attacks, although i have no idea what an optimum mix would be.

Postaholic
    the easiest calculation:

10% stables give u 6 raw opa. after modifications u generally end up with somewhere around 8.5 mod opa for a typical attacker

10% homes will give u 0.8 extra ppa. if u put them all into 6/x elites its 4.8 raw opa. if u have good honor or science ur homes get modded by pop bonus and after a certain point u'll end up with something similar to what stables give, but the effort is just not worth it

if u r planning on running 40~45dpa, forts are not worth it, because u r not gonna get 8.5 additional mod dpa with 10% forts (the actual number is not even close). however for certain situations if u need to run 60~65dpa then forts are better

if u want to play high offense u should ALWAYS go for stables (TG is out of discussion. ~20% TG is a must for attackers if high offense is ur goal). the only thing u need to watch out for is ppl stealing ur horse.

networth difference is insignificant.

For me as orc I use a mix of 10% homes, 10% stables and 15% TGs and it works well. I'd add however that, as warheed said you must watch out for horses robbers. Do not let your horses stay home during war if your facing decent thieves.

this is why i love waheed. he is one of the few people who understands how **** works around here

Regular
    Dwarf-Sheppard is the best combo in my opinion, The -30%time on building/training/exploring/research is helpfull + you can pass with only 3% farms and are imune to plague/storms/draughts

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Longsword View Post
    Dwarf-Sheppard is the best combo in my opinion, The -30%time on building/training/exploring/research is helpfull + you can pass with only 3% farms and are imune to plague/storms/draughts
    wow, you musnt run a very good prov >.>
    i know alot of sheps that can get by on 0% farms =)

Post Fiend
    I play dwarf merchant and it works well. the extra income pays for the expensive elites.

Regular
    No need to be sarcastic with less experienced players.

What im missing at his post is pointing out how does those abilities help him oow/at war. I mean everyone can write "merchant is cool because of the +income and riot immunity" but it looks different if you write "over the past ages we managed to win most of our wars, because we had constant ruby dragon advantage, and merchant is the personality wich helped us reaching that. merchant has about 60% more income if both kingdoms has dragon on and provinces riotted" etc or something like that.

Atm i find shepherd useful because it increase your chances vs an orc kd (never drop your defence due to plague, dont have to keep casting NB's etc). It is also situationary, for banks/cow/cowkillers to grow lot faster than the majority of the kd.

I personally dislike dwarves atm, i find them a weakest race because of the serious thievery disadvantage and the inability to protect themselves vs ops (WT's drops if you gain too much land), but if i had to pick a combo with them it would be merchant: oow it allows to train up faster, and your economy gets some boost/protection at war also.
    Last edited by insane33; 20-10-2008 at 16:18.

Thread Information