Thread: How do spells work?

Regular

How do spells work?

What factors in for success rate of spells? is it %guilds or wpa? also for strength of spells?

And a question regarding specific spells, i read there discription in the guide but it is still unclear to me:

Clearsight-it says that it gives you a 25% chance of catching enemy thieves regardless of the strength of guilds involved; does that mean that if you run watchtowers high enough to have a 35% chance of catching thieves that it will overide that and give you a 25% chance only or will it stack ontop of that somehow? does it factor in your tpa and add the 25% in there?

Quickfeet- i know it says it makes your army faster, is there a specific % it adds to attack speed?

Fountain of knowledge- it says "your students work harder and will learn more than they would otherwise." does that mean that it will increase the amount of science points per acre learned at no cost?

Sir Postalot
    What factors in for success rate of spells? is it %guilds or wpa? also for strength of spells?
    Self Spells
    Guild % affects success and duration/strength
    (human appears to have a 25% auto fail on self spells, as their success even with decent guild % sucks!!!)

Offensive Spells
    Success is determined by your mod WPA vs theirs
    (other factors include, reflect magic, mystic aura, magic shield)

Duration/strength is (and this is subject to some debate) affected by guild %age and if you are elf

Clear sight
    with your example, its (1 - 0.25) * (1 - 0.35) = 0.4875 = 48.75% chance to catch!

Quick Feet
    -10% attack time

Fountain of Knowledge
    it add's 10% on books being learnt
    so, if for next 24 hours, you are getting 100 books/hr (in science advisor) and cast FoK for 12 hours, for the next 12 hours, you will get 110 book/hr, then 100 books/hr for last 12

Post Fiend
    watchtowers catch thieves...

clear sight catches a wizzard's spells...

a mage effectivness is determined by the number of guilds in build, as well as the wpa, and science modifiers. spells like clearsight and invisibility are very powerful modifiers.
    fountain shortens the time that the points come in and the amount of books you purchase for the$.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eye View Post
    watchtowers catch thieves...

a mage effectivness is determined by the number of guilds in build, as well as the wpa, and science modifiers. spells like clearsight and invisibility are very powerful modifiers.
    fountain shortens the time that the points come in and the amount of books you purchase for the$.
    at least you got the WT bit right...
    cant say anything for the rest....

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by _greenie View Post
    Clear sight
    with your example, its (1 - 0.25) * (1 - 0.35) = 0.4875 = 48.75% chance to catch!
    That would be 48.75% chance for someone who does a thievery operation on you to bypass the auto failure. The catch chance is 51.25%.

Quote Originally Posted by 1eye View Post
    BS. CS catches thieves.

Regular
    thnx for the replies ^^

hehe all the spells i asked about were elf ones so I am thinking of trying out an elf attacker next age :P I made a seperate post on what is the best build to go as being elf and didn't get any responses so I will just paste it here and hope someone who has played Elf-attacker/mage can offer me some helpfull hints on strategy. So here is my thread coppied from before;

"I wanted to try an attacker mage hybrid, am planning to give it a go next round in genesis since genesis is a little easier then WoL.

Was wondering what the best personality to chose for Elf was.

I was leaning towards 1 of these 3:

Warrior- the -20% attack time eliminates need of barracks and buildings can be put into something else usefull.

Mystic- need 2X as less guilds + meteor shower spell

War Hero- the +20% enemy casualties stacked with pitfalls and the ability to cast spells somewhat successfully on opponents can be very beneficial in wars.

My plan was to run a 3-4 wpa and be mainly an attacker 1st and mage second, I want to have the ability to do some demage with spells when it comes to war.

I would appreciate any suggetestions on what to pick and any building strat posts."

thnX

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by AFKain View Post
    That would be 48.75% chance for someone who does a thievery operation on you to bypass the auto failure. The catch chance is 51.25%.
    yup, you are quite correct! (my bad!)

honestly, im really enjoying my Elf/Warrior on gen atm...
    ive got 2-2.5 raw wpa and tpa + 50% science (i try for slightly higher wpa than tpa)
    ive found that with these + CS and RM i am reasonably immune to T/M's (definately magic wise, theivery is still a tiny bit of a pain) and i can do a little bit of casting of FB/Storms/pitfalls on most people and steal runes when needed (after about 48 hours of war....)

and on gen i get 6 hour attack times in war atm with 10% rax =) so its absolutely awesome!

Veteran
    About the personality choice... I like warrior, if you're active enough to make use of the 20% speed bonus I think you should definitely go warrior. Mystic has some good points as well, primarily that you can get wizards much quicker, which will take considerable time, after that the guilds bonus isn't very helpful though. MS is a good spell, but a bit tough to cast.

Regular
    Longsword, i strongly suggest merchant personality for elf pure attacker to make the poor elf economy better. It is clearly the best pick for inexperienced players.

Thread Information