Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses vs Prisoners

Horses vs Prisoners

hi,

i have a question about horses and prisoners.
    One horse, how much off does he brings to the fight?
    and one Prisoner? and do they both get affected by militairy eff?

And what do you think is the best of those two, to go for, for small amount of course, only 2% of build strat.

Thanks!

horse is 1/0 if mounted, prisoners 3/0

horse gets modded, and prisoners, depends on who you ask, some people claim that their test show prisoners dont get mods, so yea.

if you have 2%, just toss them into dungeons.

Prisoners have no NW value and generate income and *slightly* increase BE. BUT you need to make attacks to gains them and some will always be lost.

Horses are gained for free, but are reduced by drought, cost 0.6NW each and recover at a reasonable rate.

Both die at around the same rate when making attacks (horses a little less I would say).

So it depends how actively your attacking.

Assuming prisoners are effected by mods, they work out the same in terms of offence per acre, however stables benefits cap out at much higher % acres than dungeons.

Personally for 2% I'd run dungeons, because with stables you have horses for people to steal from you to replenish their own.

Sir Postalot
    Both die at around the same rate when making attacks (horses a little less I would say).
    wrong =)
    you loose half your prisoners on each attack
    horses are lost at normal rate, modified by hosps/elf bonus

what greenie said.

to answer your question: if i had 2% extra and i had to choose between dungeons and stables, i'd get dungeons. do not build more than 2-3% dungeons though, because you can not fill up the rest and use the prisoners as extra offense at the same time.

Greenie, I said horses die a little less than prisoners, so its only wrong if you tend to lose more than 50% horses in an attack, which you dont :P

I said 'around' and 'little' because I couldnt be bothered finding the exact troop loss forumals to make a real comparison. I made it obvious horses would be dieing less though (although Pitfalls, emerald dragon, steal horses, bribe generals will all be increasing it).

Veteran
    Horse losses is like 10% tops, that's not "a little less". When one of the numbers is 5 times the other they are not "around the same".

You lose 50% in the attack, but depending on how many troops you kill your get an amount back.

Overall you dont lose much more than 10% on an average hit.

so prisoners or stables 10% of build strat.

iif dungeons are better so i would change my war strat then no stables much more on dungeons.

I would say dungeons are overall better, but they're effectiveness caps out around 3% or so at most, so 8% stables 2% dungeons would probably be best for you during war.

I hadn't played since before there were Dungeons and have not had a chance to use them yet, so anything I say is theory or query.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishandra View Post
    Prisoners have no NW value and generate income and *slightly* increase BE. BUT you need to make attacks to gains them and some will always be lost.

Horses are gained for free, but are reduced by drought, cost 0.6NW each and recover at a reasonable rate.
    I was sure that there was a rot rate on prisoners, but couldn't find it in the guide. Is there lossage, and if so, how much?

If we're talking strictly about raw numbers;
    * For offense Dungeons and Stables run neck and neck, at 60 per building.
    This equals % * 60 raw OPA. This is an absolute number so unlike TG's or Forts, they don't get any better the higher your OPA becomes. Therefore they are strongest early in the age before the OPA/DPA numbers creep upwards.

* Filled Dungeons also offer 10 workers and 10 gc per hour for zero NW
    This equals % * 10 filled jobs. So 3% Dungeons would offer 0.3 filled jobs per acre.

* Filled Stables are self replenishing @ one horse per hour or refilled in 2.5 days for 36 NW.

Beyond that I am guessing.
    Can you steal horses over your Stable quota, and if so how quickly do they depart?

Roughly half the enemy troops you kill are captured instead. Do certain attacks tend to give you more or fewer prisoners (or spec credits)?

For example, If you hit someone with just 3000 soldiers for defense instead of someone with 600 D specs;
    1) Do you kill 5 times as many foes?
    2) If so, do you then capture 5 times as many prisoners?
    I know it sounds goofy, but if the above is true, then there might be cases where you target people with lots of soldiers just to fill more Dungeons.

A failed attack still inflicts some casualties. What are the numbers like relative to a successful hit, and what is the prisoner and/or spec credit like?

I've been kicking this issue around in my head for some time and am glad to find some actual articulate discussion on it! =)
    Last edited by Kirk; 21-10-2008 at 19:29.

Soldiers definitely die a lot more than def specs, I believe its a % of the total troops present that die so obviously soldiers can be in the thousands without making the enemy much harder to hit, so they're a good target for filling dungeons.

Prisoners only die when you use them to attack, at which point its always half, but with that attack you'll capture some more so it could go up or down.

As far as I know, you can only hold up to your stables limits (+2 though I think?) but if you send out all your horses I believe you can steal more for a subsequent attack before your army returns.

Someone correct me if thats wrong, I haven't been using stables recently.

Thank you Ishandra,
    While there are still questions above that I'm interested in, another has floated up from my back brain;

Prisoners can be used as free mercs. Fine and dandy, but how do they count towards the limits on mercs? ie Do they;
    * count against your 5:1 ratio of normal troops to mercs,

* ignore this limitation, or

* actually count as normal troops allowing you to hire even more mercs?

Also, you can mount your prisoners and/or mercs, right?

If anything it is against your ratio as the number of prisoners you can send is limited by the number of troops you send.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Prisoners can be used as free mercs. Fine and dandy, but how do they count towards the limits on mercs? ie Do they;
    * count against your 5:1 ratio of normal troops to mercs,
    This. They act as mercenaries with 0 cost. This is why they have 3 off.

Thread Information