Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13th amendment? is it out the window?

100 hours for $4,000? Yes Please! That's great money at that age. Obama isn't forcing us into servitude or slavery, its paid work lol. We are being compensated! And what a compensation if it goes through!
    The Omega
    ...We shall be the last!

Post Fiend
    Sigh... in 8 years of George Bush and his republican cronies stepping all over the Constitution this is all you can gripe about??!! Jesus....

You are clearly ignorant. That community service program is in order to get a scholarship for college students who don't have enough funds to pay for it on their own. You should be glad since you clearly have not attended college.

In Florida, (ran by REPUBLICAN Governors Jeb Bush, and Charlie Crist, AND a REPUBLICAN controlled state legislature), has a similar program. If you work 50 hours of community service in high school and meet SAT/GPA Reqs. then you get 100% paid for tuition and books every semester at a Florida college. Its called the "Bright Futures Scholarship" and it helps me a lot, as well as most of my college friends.

Those damn Republican slave drivers!

that only explains high school or college - what about those 6th graders?

and there is no age on this so if i wanted to go back to college i better be able to get the $4k as well

besides you didnt tell me where the money or manpower is coming from to oversee such a mandate

Btw... 100 hours for $4,000 is $40 an hour... (Considering with only a High School Diploma you would be lucky to make half that...)

I forgot what its like when there's a Democrat President. Its Clinton-Bashing all over again.

Stop drinking the Rush Limbaugh/Sean Hannity Kool-Aid.

You do realize that Community service ALREADY is required for other things...

Judges can mandate it.

Florida Schools do it as well, (though optional, it is required for a good scholarship... like Obama's plan)

HOW IN THE HELL DO THEY OVERSEE IT?! Try and think a little bit. Instead of just trying to harp on anything that is not your vision, even though I can't think of a single student who doesn't like it. Plus it rewards HARD WORK. Its called "BIPARTISANSHIP." You cry about slavery, but if he had said 4,000 tax credit for everyone, you'd scream "MARXIST!", (Even though Marx would have despised the idea...) Then you would have said "He should make those students WORK for it! Maybe some type of SERVICE!!!!"

But no. Obama reached a compromise. And you hate it.

it is not out the window, merely in another room

Enthusiast
    It doesn't violate the 13th ammendment because you have the choice to get involved in these programs. No one is being drafted or forced to enter the program against their will. And yes, Republicans have been suggesting similar ideas for years on state and local levels. But because it came from Obama and not some suited-up right-wing nutball conservatist like Rush or Hannity, it must be demonspeak. OH GOD HELP US, THE LEFT IS TEMPTING US WITH MONEY FOR WORK! AND WE DON'T HAVE TO TAKE IT! WHICH MAKES IT EVEN MORE TEMPTING!!!

Probably has to do with the Republican view that they shouldn't have to work for money, other people should work and give the Republicans money.

Regular
    wow I am really shocked some people are describing this as a bad thing... what morons!
    GO Obama!!! Great idea and great incentive for kids to help their fellow community and build a better report with it.
    Also by keeping poorer students busy and giving them a possibly brighter future a chance to persuade them away from gangs and crime.

If this isnt mandatory it damn right should be!

Their Middle-Years Program requires that students do a set number of hours of voluntary community service as part of the program
    OK, how can you REQUIRE something if it's VOLUNTARY? If it's required then it is not voluntary, therefore it is forced servitude, also known as slavery.

I have a problem with "required" voluntary public service (my kids have it in their High School, don't do it and you don't graduate) as I believe we in the USA fought a war over something very similar about 150 years ago. Now our Govt is repackaging it and shoving it down out throats. Call it what you want but forcing someone to do something against their will and with no compensation smells like slavery to me.

Enthusiast
    Zermoid - you don't understand the system. Let me explain the context of those words to you.

First, the "requires":
    It is not required for them to live, to eat, to sleep, or to perform any other function of basic life. It is required to earn the scholarship. They are not being denied any right by this requirement; it is a requirement of a choice that they (and/or their legal guardians) make. The requirement does not specify what type of community service they perform; only how much time they must devote to community service.

Second, the "voluntary community service":
    Also known as volunteer work. It is voluntary because the person(s) performing the work voluntarily accept the fact that they will not get compensated for their labor and that they are not being required to perform community service by any legal or court system. They do have the choice of what community service program they would like to do and in some cases even the specific job or duty.

Requiring voluntary community service is a good way to build character into the youth of America. I agree with Unlimited; if it isn't mandatory, it should be.
    Last edited by nfidel2k; 25-01-2009 at 05:26.

Post Fiend
    Wow, if this is true, its simply amazing. Democrats = Communists.

Goverment always steps in where it shouldn't belong and this is a prime example. Work and play should not be mixed. Forced community service should not and cannot exist. I am currently working on my degree to become a teacher. If I see such a thing as this at my school, you bet I'll have something to say about this.

I bet if you ask the former president (or current) the bill of rights and admendments, I bet you they wont even know half of them. This world if full of idiots who will step on your rights if you dont know them. I should know, I was in the U.S. Army and every single day they tried to knock down my rights. I got stop-lossed for a deployment to Afghanistan. Screw my country. Patriotism is a bunch of bull.
    The World is out there. We are stuck inside Here.

Enthusiast
    So how does a voluntary community service requirement for a college scholarship qualify as being communist?

Post Fiend
    It is not voluntary and a scholarship should based on your SCHOLARLY work and your ability to help the school you are going to. Community service is great, don't get me wrong. You should get into programs. However, it should not be made as a requirement for a scholarship.
    The World is out there. We are stuck inside Here.

Enthusiast
    None of what you mentioned has anything to do with communism.

And it is voluntary, because it isn't being mandated by a court.

Requiring it for a scholarship is a great idea. Now you don't just have to be smart; you also have to show that you can give back to your community to get free college financing. And scholarship programs have been interested in more than just academics for years now. Extracuricular programs and sports often play a big part in scholarship selection.

Thread Information