Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earth 2025 player coming to Utopia

Earth 2025 player coming to Utopia

So I've been playing Earth 2025 for quite some time now. I find it very enjoyable to play and it was simple for me to pick up and play. I'm seeking a change and I wanted to give Utopia a shot, so I was going to try my hand at it this coming age. I looked at the guide and some other links and realized that this is vastly different from Earth. Are there any similarities between Utopia and Earth? What is the easiest strategy to start out with? When I played Earth I ran an industrial tyranny. I basically built 100% Industrial Complexes, bought oil and food, and send my army out to capture land and science. It was pretty straight forward. What does it take to make an attacker in Utopia. From what I can gather I'm probobly going to end up as an Orc Warrior because it seems to be geared towards attacking. For some reason a Human Merchant also caught my eye. The Utopia Guide says "The first time you play, it is probably best to pick a combination that seems to complement each other" and since being a merchant boosts the human's already increased income, it will give me a lage pool of funds to draw from to raise troops and science.

So where do I start? Earth had many valuable guides out there to help me get started, but since Utopia's rules change every age most information I can find is irrelevent.

Post Fiend
    For your first age i wouldnt go with orc, the low defense with no turtle ability will get you attacked too much for a new player.
    Human merchant is a great combo, Could work very well for a first timer.
    Im no expert, but some basic advice i can give you is:
    Never forget to train thieves and keep guilds around at all times or expect to be destroyed by thieves and mages. (1-2 thieves/wizzies per acre at all times minimum)
    Dont build too many kinds of building, keep it to 8 or 9 types max.
    For example, only have schools around if you are doing a serious science pump.
    Basically, dont have a building that your not using to the full extent.
    Draft rate should be set at around 60%.
    Dont explore too much right off the bat or you will be targeted for alot of hits, and make sure you train plenty of defense specs before you come out of protection!
    Anything other than basic info like this im sure your kingdom will help you with.
    Remember to build farms!

as he said, he's playing tyranny production, an aggressive ppl :) earth 2025 is totally different to utopia, utopia take time to see the result, but earth is instant result. have a look at strat forum and make your choices, your KD mates will help you out there. coz you never been in utopia b4, it's hard to share our experience with you. keep on with this forum, ask anything you want, here has many skilled and expericed ppl will give you a hand :D

good luck, enjoy

Id agree with Shenti, once you get settled into Utopia for a day or two you'll know what tp do, usually in KDs people give out their AIMS or MSNs to help the new players on a consistant basis. There are ALWAYS people willing to help and especially in your KD because you represent them, so they want you to do good as well!

just remember to stay positive and be eager to learn. like earth, activity is key and also not being too proud to ask for help

another thing to consider, is changing your build throughout the age. ex. your peacetime build vs build you use in prewar/war. thats a big handy thing that i personally forgot when i started.

Regular
    work with your kingdom (unless they suck :x)

Thanks for the help guys. i didn't expect such a reception. I've been looking through things and this seems to be a much deeper game than Utopia. The one thing I like about it is I am part of a kingdom. When I played Earth I was alone pretty much, it'll be nice to have teammates. I think I've figured out how things work around here a little. from what I can gather there are thieves, mages, attackers, and hybrids. Based on my playstyle I think I'm going to throw my lot in with the attackers. Some races and personalities that have peaked my interest are:

Humans
    Dwarves

Merchant
    Shepherd
    Warrior
    War Hero

Humans and Dwarves look like they'd bot make good attackers. Humans have a slightly stronger defensive military and have the benefit of easier science and income. Dwarves on the other hand can rebuild more easily after a fight. So really, I think they're both suited for my role and I'm kind of stuck. Where do I go from here?

Post Fiend
    Really, either race would be a good pick, its just your choice. Human would be less fool proof if you did make some mistakes though.
    I wouldn't reccomend shepard or war hero though, they just arena quite as
    good as warrior or merch.
    If you choose human either personality works just as well.
    For dwarf I would say choose merchant, the extra cash helps alot with expensive elites.

Since I usually only log in once a day and do my thing, and log back out, I think the decreased attack time would be a waste for me. I think I'm going to give a Human Merchant a go. I'm going to be rich! So where do I go from here. I know tis is not like Earth. If this was Earth I'd be able to build 100% Banks and just buy everything. I wish it was that simple.

Post Fiend
    When you login first you'll see the basics really, not much more I can say.
    First off remember to build your land up, explore a few acres and train defense.
    By the time all that is done your kingdom will be up and running, ready to teach you the ropes.

Post Fiend
    Human merchant is very easy to play with...but since u like attacking...you can try human warrior...you dont have to attack 3 times a day...but if ur army returns back quickly you have less chance of getting attacked =)

and here too many building isnt a good...try to keep a few buildings in good percentage.
    remember you will need 8-10% farms...10% guilds and around 5% tower for food and magic.

Post Fiend
    not bad for a start but i would not rule out merchant and i would remove shepard.

Allot of new players get attracted to Shepard but it only saves you about 5% land. Warrior for example saves you 12% land.

So assuming Human Warrior and your aggressive style
    So in protection (first 3 days) i would go with this.
    Set draft to 33%

Explore to 500 acres
    homes 15%
    Farms 8%
    Guilds 10%
    Towers 5%
    Banks 30%
    Armories 30%

Build the Guilds, towers and banks first
    Get all your armories building before the 24 hour mark
    Train 2000 archers and 500 thieves, the rest all goes into swordsmen once all the armories have been built.

Out of protection. Attack the big fat provinces there are always many. Look for big acres but low net worth. Set Science to Active, put half the points into Housing, a quarter each into tools and alchemy.

By the time you get to 1000 acres change your buildings to this:

Set Draft to 60%

Home 15% (more pop, keeps Building efficiency , helps recover from magic attacks)
    Farms 8% (people need to eat)
    Guilds 10% (keeps training Wizards)
    Towers 5% (enough runes to spy and self spells)
    Training Grounds 12% (a boost to offensive military strength)
    Stables 10% (more offensive military strength)
    Banks 10% (some extra income synergies with the +25% income)
    Watch Towers 10% (helps keep thieves away from your resources)
    Forts 10% (more defence strength)
    Hospitals 10% (less troops dieing)

Eventually build to 2 Thieves per acre and 2 wizards per acre, eventually stop training swordsmen and train knights, never have less than 8 archers per acre and get as many Knights as you can.

Once you get 10% in housing science you can look at boosting one of the other sciences that suits what you want to do.

Now some people are going to say build this or build that as everyone has a personal opinion but this works and can be tweaked to your personal taste, welcome to utopia and have fun.
    Last edited by Starscream; 08-11-2008 at 08:57.

How fast will my army return with me being a warrior. Won't it be wasted given my low level of activity at present (one login/day)?

Post Fiend
    11.56 hours in war if you hit someone about your networth size.

Outside of war it depends on many factors

So yes in war its a waste, then maybe merchant will be better, you can use the same strat but in war your troops will take 13.6 hours to return.

However utopia is a game that really need you to log in twice a day, preferably more. you will find that someone will steal some of your resources while you have been away nearly every time you come in.
    Last edited by Starscream; 08-11-2008 at 09:05.

Post Fiend
    If you're logging in once a day then definitely stay away from warrior.. In wars its usually expected to log in a bit more frequently than that though.

Thread Information