Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Runelords OOC/Signups

Veteran
    aside from that, not a bad post. Welcome, Genevera. :)

If I could, though, make one suggestion? Pay attention to your tenses. You go from present, to past, to future tense in what seems like one sentence quite regularly. Just a friendly reminder. :)

Ooohh. I know! I'm completely horrible for that at times. It kinda has something to do with speaking 4 languages. One of my languages I speak has no tense. So when speaking, we don't distinguish between past or present. It depends how my mind is thinking.

I will make a more of a conscious effort to change that. So wonderful. I'm all excited now! *throws her hands up in triumph*

What languages do you speak?

I speak English, French, Thai and Ojibwa.

Ojib.... what?

Ojibwa is an Indigenous language in Canada.

I am envious of you. I'm am learning Chinese right now, but Thai would be a really awesome language to know.

Thai is a wonderfu language. It's tonal, so it gets kinda crazy. When I was younger I went to school in Thailand...so I had to learn it pretty quick. I was pretty good at 6 months - in a year I was completely fluent.

Chinese! Ooohh. I was going to try and learn it - did it for a week...and I was like...nope. Not for me. lol. All I remember is Ni how ma? Haha.

Hmmm. I remember the forums use to be crazy busy.... I remember there was so many stories that things had to be constantly Topped to keep up.

What happened here? *sniffles*

*sits and waits quietly*

I have a belief that these forums operate on a school/college schedule. When things are active, it's because there are some writers either in high school or college who really love to write or really want to learn to love to write, and they follow a few inspired leaders who start up and keep threads going, while the younger crowds are involved in other threads that aren't quite so demanding. But then those leaders, as it were, graduate from college and move away, leaving a gap again.

The first big surge in my experience happened during the Haven/New Haven Writers. Then they moved based to Venura. When Venura closed down, a second wave here had already begun it seemed, headed up by some really dedicated moderators and archivers, who not only kept track of old threads that died out, but held classes on how to write and were very strict in keeping quality in and quality-less quantity out.

It's really disappointing when you lose all the work you've done, and apparently that's what happened here: Swirve became Jolt and the forums moved, but the posts didn't. So the writers didn't move either. That, or became annoyed/distressed/tired of the constant change, and decided to pursue their own interests.

Veteran

yup

I mostly agree, disk. Although many of the ones that are writing now were either about halfway through highschool when they started. I had just started, myself. when we graduated. Most went to college. I did not until about a year and a half ago. I got married. Some are, some are not. Some are in college and married, but most work.

We just ran out of time.

also, the new generation just doesn't have the patience to sit and write stories. They'd rather play games with bad plots, watch movies with worse plots, and watch TV episodes with no plots at all (Minus a couple exceptions).

So simply running out of time to spend on this, coupled with no fresh blood to infuse into the boards, is causing it's slow and aging demise. However. I think that we've been weeded out as those who will never give it up. However long a hiatus we take.

I agree with that. When I had first started here, I was still in highschool. I remember it being crammed in here. Man...that was a long time ago. Wow, I just made myself feel old. Haha.

I had just started Highschool when I discovered Utopia. I had been on other forums before this at the tail end of Middle school.

I kinda feel like the newer generations are just not into creative writing. They push Academic writting in schol these days.

Thats Cool Jtsai. I wish I could speak more than one language fluently. I barely speak English well enough. However, I am working on Japanese at the moment. Speaking Japanese is easy. It is the written Langauge that is a pain in the A$$. They have three different systems of writing and they all interchange with one another.

Thread Information