Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curse of the veteran n**b

Enthusiast
    My first age back after a long hiatus 5-7 ages ago I landed in an utter ghetto. The monarch was in a raindbow build and the second in command guy was an all elite dwarf. I tried to get help from them on wtf I was supposed to do, but they were worthless so I just copied the other avian in my kingdom. Needless to say that province completely sucked, but for some reason I decided to stick with them the next age. When I learned that all elite and rainbow build = bad by reading the swirve forums, I tried to help them but of course it fell on deaf ears.

Then I bounced around a while until I landed where I am today. At the time I landed here it was about 2.5 ages ago and mid way through the age this kingdom was 2.5m NW and 15 people. The thing about this kingdom was that it looked like a ghetto, but they had a hell of a war record and everyone was hitting 2x a day both in and out of war (plunders/learns OOW and TMs in war). There was a war plan in a funny thing I never heard of called mirc. When I saw their activity I decided to stay. The following age we went all elf/warrior and ended about 4k honor short of the charts with only 17 people. Now we're pushing to get to 25 so we can wreak havoc on other kingdoms.

The point is that there are good ghetto monarchs out there who have come from top kingdoms who decide to build up a little nothing in to a contender. You need to be lucky to land in to one of these. The kingdom I'm currently in wasn't a ghetto for long, but we still have a few holdovers from when I first got there.

I feel the pain of the guy trying to get people in to mirc because he's trying to build a kingdom. With legalized trading I don't think it's possible to build a kingdom anymore. If my kingdom was where it was 2 ages ago now, we'd have no chance at getting people to join us to build ourselves up.

Legalized trading makes it easier to build kingdoms. Unless you have zero recruiting skills, of course.
    For Master of Magic fans:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Collins, CEO of OMAC
    You should ask as many people as you can to criticise what you plan on doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadi View Post
    I like how VT2 makes fun of these who live in the past of Utopia and yet he talks about surrender.

Way to fool yourself !
    don't talk BS you surrendermonkey

Nine ages ago, I randomed into a ghetto, and I defected instantly.

Joking.
    The ghetto was filled with idiotic kids, and the king was a selfish ass. I outgrew everyone, then the king saw fit to sacrifice his servants, so he got baited into a war - a war in which only he grew.
    Second day of the war, I had enough offense to raze his ass, and raze it I did. It only took a little while before he started pleading, and I decided he could live - for now.
    I rallied the ghetto around me, and laid down my code for them.

The next day, we managed to pull an 'impressive' sixteen or so hits to their nine, all against good targets.
    When minimum-time came, they surrendered, and we were now a kingdom.

I killed the first king that age, after he put himself into vacation-mode, and stayed on it for six damn months.
    Our score that age was 5/3 - not too shabby.

Past age's score was 7/7, which is massive, and makes me feel proud over my people.

Cut to now.
    I am still the king, of what was a ghetto nine ages ago. We've traded Mehul for the ultra-incompetent OMAC, but they do get things sorted out sometimes, and those things are usually good.
    My players don't like me - they adore me. They look up to me, and know that if something goes wrong, someone didn't do their part.

I built a kingdom from nothing. Randoms and defections, idiotic greens.

When you ran from your ghetto. I stayed. I improved it, taught the players what I knew, and earned their trust.

Past age, we got 7/7.
    What's going to happen this age? Who knows? I sure don't, but I plan to be in a lot of wars.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

see clear eggxample of being nice using IRC and making new friends in the game.

What Kingdoms have you played in Rose ?
    IMPERIALS KLA

As far as the whole trading issue will work out I am not as pessimitic as you're VT2. I think once the novelty of the easy swap to anothe rkd wears of people will start to remember why they're not playing in those good kds in the first place ;)

I expect to see within the next ages, some good people beeing fed up with topkd requirements, but having perhaps gotten a taste for the game again. Drift into a ghetto and find a few old hubbies and settle in there.

Atleast that's my instincts.

Now if you'll excuse me, I got a strike for beeing 1 hrs late with the pimp info and need to go submit my stats again. And our warleader is a bit annoyed because I pointed our that he have a 3-1 ratio in retals on every hit he makes.

only war term Id even consider are :

no PKing
    (you go into protection again and you lose all those sciences, even if feed up again your sciences will be shyt and you really cant catch up to same standarts as before if it happends like midage+)

no AW (in mass amounts)
    (this one is meh... but for some it just takes forever to pump wizzards, you can always just buy a few more thieves but wizzards production is a sad sad affair)

the only reason Im for these terms, is because... they dont effect the wars or the war wins. They effect what the kingdom looks like AFTER the wars ended.
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling,
    but in rising every time we fall

Often been in danger of beeing PK'ed then?

And I strongly disagree that it doesn't have an effect on a war to have provs killed off or rendered without wizards.

But happy you stopped by, I guess the title of the thread called out to you }:->

I just went into a war where the opposing mon asked for the no PK terms. In this day and age, I don't see the purpose in a no PK term either, so agreed to that. My interp of PK = player/province kill or peasant kill, which would be player kill by elimination of peasants. (PK term was introduced to me in another game that had no such thing as a province, hence the "player kill" term).

If we were back in age 10 or 15, then honorable terms of no PK would make sense, as in those days, you could kill a province. However, in those days it was still a difficult thing to do.
    Everyone has standards. Some are just higher than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurlin View Post
    see clear eggxample of being nice using IRC and making new friends in the game.

What Kingdoms have you played in Rose ?
    I started in pantheon of absalom, followed them to trinity of absalom, after some grudges with one of theirs leader, decidde to leave and triy various kds (one by one)with apply sitting for them. So I had sat for defiance, deliverance, and copycats. From there I go to voexm, after half an age there, take half an age leading and helping them getting some wws, 3rd combined chart (ended at 7th because omac lateness), and having some fun with cov in the voexm vs whispers drama. Now? Still thinking what I gonna do next. Hard to trial in kds with new rule makes ppl abandon old-time sitting.

Uh, I dont agree AW as a prohibition in war... AW is useful before you start LL. =) And you can train from 1 wpa to 4 wpa very fast using 40% guilds. :p

Postaholic
    rosedragon is noob

Post Fiend
    Both of you are noob!

Waheed, you are way to active in the forums to not play. You should decide to join a noob kingdom and lead them with with inactivity to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by VT2 View Post
    Nine ages ago, I randomed into a ghetto, and I defected instantly.

Joking.
    The ghetto was filled with idiotic kids, and the king was a selfish ass. I outgrew everyone, then the king saw fit to sacrifice his servants, so he got baited into a war - a war in which only he grew.
    Second day of the war, I had enough offense to raze his ass, and raze it I did. It only took a little while before he started pleading, and I decided he could live - for now.
    I rallied the ghetto around me, and laid down my code for them.

The next day, we managed to pull an 'impressive' sixteen or so hits to their nine, all against good targets.
    When minimum-time came, they surrendered, and we were now a kingdom.

I killed the first king that age, after he put himself into vacation-mode, and stayed on it for six damn months.
    Our score that age was 5/3 - not too shabby.

Past age's score was 7/7, which is massive, and makes me feel proud over my people.

Cut to now.
    I am still the king, of what was a ghetto nine ages ago. We've traded Mehul for the ultra-incompetent OMAC, but they do get things sorted out sometimes, and those things are usually good.
    My players don't like me - they adore me. They look up to me, and know that if something goes wrong, someone didn't do their part.

I built a kingdom from nothing. Randoms and defections, idiotic greens.

When you ran from your ghetto. I stayed. I improved it, taught the players what I knew, and earned their trust.

Past age, we got 7/7.
    What's going to happen this age? Who knows? I sure don't, but I plan to be in a lot of wars.
    Nice story, though a rather rare one. A much more common story is a good player trying to find a decent kingdom, defects a few times but doesn't find one and decides to leave.

And I beg to differ when you say this isn't possible. Now you can recruit people instead of having to hope for your luck to get new people into your KD...

Thread Information