I always knew I had a thing with the dead. I never really realized just how much.

They say as a child I used to pretend to play with ghosts. Father, a God fearing man, used to tell every one that it was just the imagination of a seven year old girl. It didn’t help that there was a cemetery just down the block.

However, last week I finally came to realize there is some thing terribly wrong with me. I was just minding my own business when I got that feeling. The one where my fingers start to tingle. It started just after the virus broke lose. Sure enough, I walked around a corner and there was one of those vile creatures.

Instantly it knew I was there. It was like a deer in headlights. It turned its head with a half eaten arm hanging from its mouth. I wanted to hurl. I thought I was a goner. Then, the strangest thing happened. It turned tail and ran, almost as if I had been the monster eating a human carcass. It was gone before I could figure out what had happened.

I thought it was just luck the first time, but then it happened again. I tried to rationalize it. Say it was something else that scared the monster away. But after the fourth time, there was no getting around it. It was me. The monsters are running away from me. I don’t know whether to be disappointed or happy about it. I have seen what they can do to a human being. I have seen the chaos they create from a single bite. What is so wrong with me that the monsters run from me?

All I know is that I survived, and I am still alive. However, I won’t be if I don’t find food soon. To think that after every thing that could possibly kill me, it would be by starvation.

My feet are tired but I managed to keep walking. I was some where in Iowa. I passed several farms on my way, but did not stop to see if there were any survivors. A few hours later the sun was beginning to set. I needed shelter and needed it fast.

Luckily, I spotted a column of smoke rising up through the air. I picked up speed hoping that it was a camp. I dearly hoped that they had food.

I was taken off guard when I saw the barbed wire fence. I had to travel all the way around before finding the entrance. I walked up and found no one around. It was strange. Then I heard the foot steps behind me, and a barrel of a gun was pressed up against the back of my head.

“I am just looking for shelter” My hands went up instantly.

“Are you infected?” the deep voice of a man said.

“Do I look infected?” That was the wrong question. A split second later, the world went black.