Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Desolé

Regular
    As much as I didn't want to stop, something caught my curiousity as I sprinted towards the edge of town. Well, a few things actually. The first was a vehicle heading this way. 'Great' I sarcasticly thought 'They're probably here to get me, that ***** phoned it in I was here and now they want me dead for hearing they're conversation.' Like that even makes sense. I shook my head a little bit. That can't be right. But before that thought process continued, another thing grabbed my attention.

Turning my head, I saw someone walking through town. That wasn't too out of the ordinary, even in these times. But what was really odd, was this surfer looking guy had a small contingent of the creatures following him, just walking behind him like he was their father or something. 'He's looking for us to I bet' My other half growled to me. Nodding I couldn't help but agree, he had to be. 'Well' It continued 'Let's get him before he has a chance to get us. Then we'll deal with that car.' He'll probably taste better than those things anyway and I could use a snack before I settle down to eat this bastard. I glanced at Ted over my shoulder again. "Your brother won't live too much longer once I find him." I needed to be lighter though, carrying him slows me down past comfort level for this part of a hunt. It took me a few moments to find some rope, but once I did it took maybe a second to get him tied like a pinata from a light post. "But that smell could be a problem." I thought out loud. Not a second after I finished my sentence did a small bottle fall out of his pocket. Picking it up "Irrestible." I read it. "Well...that ought to cover up your stink so they don't try to eat you first." I grinned, spraying the entire bottle of him head to toe then lifting him up so his feet were touching the light post and the rest was hanging down. I climbed the pole and tied the rope towards the top so they wouldn't accidentally let him go by tripping over it.

I turned and sprinted towards surfer boy and his followers. Took me a minute or two to catch up. They knew I was there, except surfer. All of them stopped and turned to look at me as I landed about 5 feet behind them all. Surfer apparently noticed his little friends stopped because he turned around too...wide-eyed once he saw me. His jaw dropped slightly, unsure of what to do. That didn't last long. The idiot did what I thought he would, pointed at me shaking. Guess he didn't expect me to find him before he found me. Didn't want the fight. The tables turned though for a second. As about 20 more of those things came from behind him, out of buildings, out of dumpsters, out of alleys. And kept coming. 'Finally. A worthy fight.' My pissed off friend growled to me. Nodding "Yes. It's about time." I growled back, leaping forward I tore his following to pieces before they could react and before the extras could reach me. Picking up one of them I just killed, it was like baseball again. Practicing my swing on several of them before it's body broke apart after slaughtering a few too many of it's comrades.

This went on for a good 5 minutes before I was finally close enough to the surfer to do what I'd wanted to. Clawing into one of their heads, I overhead launched him into a group and slammed my fist into the stomach of another to do the same. Rolling forward under a swipe from one and a dive from another, I stood up right in front of surfer, grabbing him by the throat. Jumping backwards, I sprinted towards where I came from. Squeezing his throat "Who sent you?" I growled, I wanted to know who came after me. And who was dumb enough to send this particular person. He obviously **** himself at this point...smelt worse than Ted right now. He was practically crying "Nobody...I...we...they just follow...I don't know....what do you...where are..." Sniveling, shuddering and studdering made him skip from thought to thought without finishing a single sentence. "Time's up." I growled as I squeezed his neck, breaking every bone, then throwing him hard against the wall of a building on the main street, breaking the rest of his bones.

I needed something, they were still all coming...and more were on the way. I grabbed chunks of the building surfer was leaning against. I figured it was time to practice my bowling. Rolling and throwing chunk after chunk, the numbers were going down quick. I guess they do have some brains. After I threw the last piece, they all turned and ran or climbed the nearest building. I'm not sure if they just realized that I wasn't worth it...or that the way they were trying to come at me from wasn't the best idea. They'd either be back soon...or not at all. Hopefully not at all, but with my luck...'And your smell' It reminded me. "Hey...I haven't found water yet so shut it. Unless you smell some, let me know. I'm hungry though." I replied. 'Yes we are. Get to eating surfer...Ted's the main course.' I growled back "I know, I was the one that thought of that." Walking over, I got Ted down again and put him next to surfer. The smell from Ted should throw those things off my scent for a little bit. Grabbing surfer, I sat down just inside the alley next to where he landed and dug in. He didn't taste the best...but it was better than those things for sure. My bag was sitting next to Ted, who was conveniantly where surfer made the wall a different shape. Ted's smell was bothering me, maybe I shouldn't have put the whole bottle on him. Shrugging 'Least those bastards aren't annoying us again. Gives the time to eat.' I nodded in reply as I finished both arms. "Yeah. Hope we get to finish this meal...Ted included."

Post Fiend

Dominic

The countryside of Missouri passed by in mostly a blur. I had hooked back up with the nearest highway, one that would take me to wherever in God's name I was headed. Southeast, that's all I knew. It was like a mantra running through my head. It go so bad at one point I started singing songs, anything to take my mind off it. I'd never call myself crazy, even then, I just couldn't get the overwhelming feeling that I needed to be headed in that direction out of my head. By the halfway point of my journey I knew at least three of my pilfered CDs by heart. Checking my map was one of the most frequent things I did, always to be sure I was going the right way.

I was skirting around West Plains when something on my gauge cluster caught my eye. That can't be right. I thought, for I had noticed my fuel gauge was on empty. I had been half full when I started, I shouldn't be running low yet. My stomach dropped as the Hummer coughed and sputtered. "C'mon baby, don't do this to daddy yet." I muttered, clenching my teeth as I eased up on the gas, coasting a bit, and looked around. No movement, that was good at least. I stopped the car and shut it off, lest the engine noise attract unwanted attention sooner than needed. Quietly I opened the door and got out, not bothering to close it, and did a quick sweep around the Hummer, checking the perimeter for the not-so-dead. Satisfied for the moment I returned to the driver side and popped the hood, grimacing as the noise echoed low over the ground. Moving slowly once again I pulled the hood up and took a look in the faint moonlight. Right, like I knew what I was doing. I was decent with cars, but I sure wasn't a mechanic.

I had just given up and I smelled something. My brow furrowed as I realized it was gas. Something must have busted a line during my little escapade back there, which meant... My train of thought halted as I remembered the half-smoked cigarette I had discarded shortly before raising the hood. The same cigarette which I had no idea where it rolled. Self-preservation overrode my mind as I darted for the passenger door, wrenched it open, and grabbed the only bag I had time for. I ran, fast as I could, away from the Hummer. Sure enough, I was nearly thrown to the ground as it exploded, taking with it not only my means of transportation but also my entire stock of smokes. Oh, and my remaining weapons of course. I bit back on a string of curses, knowing the explosion was signal enough that something tasty was probably in the vicinity, and instead fired them off in my head as the flaming wreckage fell to the ground. ****ing lovely. Six hours till dawn and I was stranded with who knows how many of those things in the town nearby. At least I was still on the highway ont he outskirts, I hadn't been stupid enough to drive straight through town. God really must hate me for all this ****.

I'll skip most of the details, but I hauled ass out of there and down the road. Though I stuck to the shadows and kept quiet, I wasn't able to avoid every dead body I came across. I killed at least seven, eluding countless more that hadn't even known I was there. Well, I guess that answered a few things. I never knew for sure how they tracked people, but I guess they replied on sight and hearing as much as anyone. I hit another stroke of luck as I came across an old RV sales lot. I thought once about venturing in and finding keys, figured most of the dead would have left to hunt. But I decided against it, for I spotted what I assumed to be the owner's car parked around the side. The doors were unlocked and, after checking around, I hotwired the old beater and I was off again.

It was still about four or five hours till daylight when I hit the border and had to stop again. I never once though about gas, and that old whatever-the-hell-it-was didn't have much in it. I managed to cruise until I found another, this time checking the gauge after getting it started, and seeing a decent amount I sped off. So there I was, on my way for sure now. At least I wasn't afraid this one would fall apart on me during the rest of my trip. But I guess I was in no position to be picky, right? I looked over the map again. Well, next stop is someplace called Jonesboro. I wasn't stopping there, just another landmark on my journey. Southeast was the only location I knew. Not like I had a GPS signal on the angels, I just had to keep on trucking, or whatever. I was nearing the city, which was considerably larger than West Plains had been, and skirted around it again. I had enough runs with bad luck that night.

I was just crossing over another highway when I took a double take out the window. I jerked the wheel, narrowly avoiding an over turned car, and hit the brakes. It was nothing, I was sure, but the hotel right off the highway caught my eye. Nothing special about it. I shrugged and shook my head to clear my thoughts. I really needed some sleep. So I did the only thing I could: lit up again. I took in a drag of sweet, sweet nicotine and sighed. I looked back at the hotel. Something was bugging me about it. I looked over the parking lot in front of it, my eyebrows raised. Was it just me, or did those cars look like they were placed there, specifically parked like that? I must be loosing it. I scratched the back of mu head, digging at a persistent itch I had just noticed. And then my innards seemed to drop out of my body as my eyes grew wide. "No way...." I breathed, not wanting to believe what my instincts were telling me. "That place?"

I pulled off the highway, heading for the hotel. I didn't know what I would find, though I all but knew that what I sought was there. I hoped there were people there, too. I didn't know what I was getting into, but I was sure things were about to get all the more complicated. I flashed my headlights as I drew closer, nothing special, no stupid code or some ****, just wanted to be seen. God I wanted them to see me, and of course not shoot on sight. People were jumpy, had to be. I could only hope.

Post Fiend

Tacca Chantrieri - Junction City, Kansas

OOC: Ark - of course, I didn't mean to "throw the ball" to you, just if you wanted to use it in any plot advancements.. feel free... :)

IC: It was more than obvious that I held what they were looking for, though telling them might not be the smartest thing to do. I was more and more beginning to wonder exactly what Ted Dokes had planned to do with it. Apparently they had been waiting for him, or rather he had been waiting for them. In retrospective perhaps Luck had shone upon me after all, allowing me to find and kill Ted Dokes before these men did. Military. Or something to that degree.

"Well?" the man in charge asked again, taking another step forward. Not very bright though, I thought, surpressing another smirk. Somehow I didn't think he would appreciate that notion very much. He wanted to instill strength and power, not incompetence and stupidity.

"Where is what?" I asked, trying to stall. Yet again Luck, I decided, had granted me another favour. The bag Ted Dokes had given me was far gone, but not what was in it. It lay safely inside a thick bundle inside my coat. Maybe I had been staring myself blind on the bad things.

"Don't play games with me, missy," he replied a bit more harshly this time. The annoyance and arrogance was clear in his eyes. He had me trapped, or so he believed.

"We know you must have it."

There it was. A single world of doubt. Must. I raised a dark eyebrow at him. He continued to speak, but I must admit I wasn't paying much attention to his words anymore. I had two threads going on inside my head. One was an escape route. Another one was to actually decided what my plan of action would be. I had killed Dokes, just as Miriam had instructed me to. I had also received what was missing. The sample that Ted had stolen. Even so she had not asked me to retrieve said sample. It all came down to free will and all that jazz. Free will. Something I was a Hunter was not yet really accustomed to.

Silence. Apparently the man wanted me to speak. Had he asked a question? I wasn't sure.

"Sorry?" I finally said, noticing with amusement that his white neck turned into a dark shade of red. He was a bit taken a back when I hadn't replied in an orderly fashion. I couldn't help it but the corner of my lip arched up slightly. The man didn't seem to be very much used to not being instantly obeyed.

"Look, the rendevouz point we saw you leave earlier is where Mr Dokes would be waiting for us. Last contact was one hour ago when we were en route. You must be his last contact..."

"And yet you could not find him in the warhouse nor with me," I chimed in.

"Look here... If you don't...." he said a bit louder this time, taking yet another step towards me. I moved quickly, before the man had had a chance to yelp I had twisted him around, holding his arms locked with one arm while holding a loaded gun to his temple with the other.

"NO, you look!" I replied. "I suggest you leave me be and perhaps I will tell you what you need to know. Or I could just kill you now and be finished with it. Your choice."

"Back off!" I told the others as they all had their weapons aimed at my head. "Tell them to back off!"

"Do as she says!" he yelped. They all hesitated. "DO AS SHE SAYS!" he more yelled with a little bit more pondus than before. They all took a few steps back, the circle braking.

"Now listen," I said. "I will tell you who really has Ted Dokes and then you will let me go. "Or I will kill the most part of you. Perhaps I will not be able to kill all, but you I will be able to kill for certain." The soldier I was looking at began to look less like a soldier as the threat was directed to him and to him alone. "And you. And you. And you. Or perhaps you and you and you. Are you willing to take a chance?"

Military men, ready to die for their country. So I was surprised to see that actually some of them lowered their weapons.

"Now. You are looking for a Lycan. Since you know of Ted Dokes I assume you already know what that means... Yeah, that hairy bastard that ran the other way when you decided to follow me. Find him and you will find your precious Ted Dokes and whatever it is that he carries."

"You will go north, where he last were seen, and I will go somewhere else. Those that are eager to die might follow me, but I suggest for your own good that you don't. Are we clear, Captain A Jones?" I said after reading his name tag.

Captain Adam Jones - Fort Riley

"I want you to track him down!" Adam Jones instructed his men after the vampire had left the scene. "Find the Lycan! Find Ted Dokes! Find that sample!"

He cursed, wondering where a simple mission of find and retrieve had turned into a man hunt. They would not be happy at head quarter if he returned without the sample. They had been in contact with Ted Dokes for several months now, even before the virus. On their command he had infiltrated his own kin, giving them detailed intel they wouldn't been able to procure from anywhere else. In turn they had promised him a cure. A cure to the disease he was carrying.

Up to a week ago the intel had been sparse, but finally he had contacted them. They had hit the motherload of all motherloads. He had given them the key to the virus. Apparently the vampiress whose house he had infiltrated, an old vampire resididing in LA somewhere, had begun working on a cure to the virus. He had promised them that in return for the cure to his own disease he would give them a sample. It wasn't finished, but from what he had promised her scientist were on a good way.

And now he had failed in procuring both the sample and Ted Dokes. Not to mention the fact that his whole Team was probably laughing behind his back after this debacle with the vampire. He cursed again and kicked the tire of the jeep before he climbed up.

I can’t believe I over slept. I was so damn tired that I was out like a light the moment my head hit my pillow. I missed my chance to question Alice before we left the next morning. I wouldn’t let that deter me. I would ask him the moment I got the chance.

It was Embrey that woke me. He laughed and said I looked like the dead. I didn’t find that very funny. I don’t think he realized his error. I didn’t have any possessions so there was no packing. I just headed out into the court yard. Alice was packing the vehicle with supplies. I caught his eye and I nodded in unspoken greeting. I could not help but notice how often we caught each others attention. I bit my lip. I was getting used to the tingling, but Alice always caught me off guard. For the rest of the morning I helped gather supplies.

The car ride was awkward to say the least. I sat in the front passenger seat, with Alice at the wheel. I sighed deeply as Embrey rambled on and on and on. Maybe he couldn’t take silence, but he was driving me insane. Every now and then I would glace over at Alice.

Suddenly Alice slammed on the brakes and yelled out in surprise. The back of my head hit the head rest and bounced back. “What the Hell” I said as I rubbed my head. I glared at Alice. He was staring out the window, so I followed his gaze. What was left a cow carcass lay in the middle of the road. My eyes wondered to a sign just off to the side of the road. I read it aloud “Junction City, Kansas. Survivors. Look for the light.” What the hell was that supposed to mean?

I stared out of the window.

“Why the Hell not” Embrey spoke out finally. Except for Alice I felt nothing undead out side the car. That could change at any moment However.

Veteran
    Walking the riverside of Savannah with Nancy during springtime would have been a lot nicer than walking with Lilly during the apocalypse. I can say that for honest to God sure. Lilly was a nice girl, but- well it just isn't the same thing. Savannah was nice regardless though. Less zombies there than most other places I've been before or since. And I was right about rednecks and their guns. I felt a little safer after having a revolver stuffed down the back of my pants, a pistol in my hand and a few clips in my pockets.

We put a few boxes of ammo in Lilly's backpack for my pistols and her rifle. I think it was a 7600. It was a little old, about ten years I'd say, but it was a good ol' rifle. Hunting rifle, I think. Erring on the side of caution, we also raided a sporting goods store and took some large knives. Not that I thought Lilly would benefit from it at all. But even if I died, I don't think it would matter much if I were scratched or whatever.

I heard from some people by that point that it was over for you if you were scratched. People were a lot nicer with me when Lilly was there. Better than the gunshots I got before. Savannah was mostly evacuated by the time Lilly and I got there. There wasn't really a whole lot of defensible positions in the town. The best place was the barge on the river. We stayed there the night, after I made sure it was clear. We took turns at night. Most of the zombies in the city were gone by now, looking for food elsewhere I think. It looked abandoned for some time. It was odd to look at what used to be thriving cities and see no one anywhere. Even more creepy in Savannah.

The moss draping off of the large oak trees and the foggy cemeteries gave everything just the creepiest looking overtones. The massive old churches that we walked through that creaked and groaned with their old wooden floors and pews didn't help either. We basically gave our own tour to the city. Not only while we looked for a fairly safe place to stay, but in foraging for food and other essentials.

To tell the truth, aside from Nancy, what I missed most was television. Just mindless entertainment to get me through the triteness of the every day living. I miss our day trips around through Richmond and other nearby cities. Although, it was when I thought back on those days and what I missed that something unexpected happened. I realized that Lilly and I were holding hands when we were on that barge, huddled in the bridge under some control panel. It was sort of odd. I wasn't sure if I was old enough to be her big brother or her step father. I kept holding it, but I was keenly aware of humanity's primal urges at that point. Adam and Eve syndrome I've heard it called before. When people in a survival situation bond and become attached. Rest assured, that didn't happen... Well to a point it did. I'll never forget Lilly. She was such a good girl. But that's all she was, a girl. It would have been just too weird to look at her any other way.

Lucifer Morningstar

OOC: Sorry for a horrendous lack of posting on my part. I originally held off on posting to give Wildfire a chance to fill in her post before I kept going with Lucifer which ended up being a mistake as then I got busy and now haven't posted in far, far too long. I'm not dead and I apologize. Also Ark I'm sorry for pretty much just bouncing the ball back into your court... I'm trying to play this delicately and I'm not used to doing so from a first person form of writing. Please bear with me ;)

IC:

There are some things that are incredibly hard to explain to someone who wasn't there at the time. These are events that happen in the briefest of moments, tiny events where the entire universe seems to collectively hold its breath for just that one moment, and then the moment passes.

Such was the moment when I saw Ishmael... no. At that moment he was no longer Ishmael. Such was the moment when I saw Uriel meet my gaze and realize instantaneously who I was. The sheer anger in his eyes exceeded anything that I had seen in centuries past, a white-hot fire that – and I am ashamed a little to admit this – caused me to shy back a few steps as he took out his wrath on the hordes of the pitiful and brainless dead. The glow building inside me was extinguished sharply as I reigned myself back under control.

But even with the tiny touch of fear that flickered through my heart, one thing remained. I was Lucifer Morningstar, the Adversary. And goddamn was I proud. To catch an Archangel in sin, well... such a thing doesn't happen every day.

He turned and walked away without a word, both of us knowing without speaking that he was shamed but far from beaten. For my part, I dared not challenge that righteous fire. With the great display of wrath I had just borne witness to I knew that it could so easily be turned onto me. Uriel could not be allowed to discover just how lacking my powers had become.

I couldn't help it though. Hah. That has perhaps always been my fault. My voice called out after him as Owen and Angela lead him away “Tell them who we are, Ishmael, and you will lose them.” My words went unheeded by most of the crowd, still stunned by the ferocious display of angelic might.

It was a long, dark night. The mood around our little caravan was divided, as I learnt from those who quietly and then more boldly sought me out. What had I said to him? Who was he, to have such power? Who was I to trigger his rage so? I glibly avoided questions as best I could, save to answer truthfully that all I had done was offer my assistance.

Although I had a smattering of followers who were sympathetic to me – after all, it was not I who had suddenly displayed supernatural powers of incredible potency – there were far more who were content to take Ishmael's obvious dislike of me as reason to shun me. If only they knew. None of those shunning me particularly bothered me, save that I watched quietly late that night as the strange girl we had picked up earlier went to him and will admit that I had hoped to have her in my camp, such as it was.

Morning came slow, but the night passed easily. The remnants of Uriel's blaze casting strange light into the sky as dawn slowly broke. As the weak sun began to shine down, I sat quietly with Greg and Marion, a hard old battleaxe of a woman who had entertained me and Greg both with stories from her life before. Cards were dealt before us, we'd kept a game of poker going here and there through the night with a small group, but we didn't focus on them now. It was clear that everyone was waiting for the emergance of Ishmael, waiting to see what would happen. Would everyone simply pretend last night had never happened? Would there be explanations? Consequences? The camp held its breath – another of those moments I was talking about.

For my part, my plan was clear... to try and avoid Uriel unless he himself deigned to try and speak to me and to find the girl Delrana and subtly probe her reactions. There was no time to be wasted. Uriel would not tolerate me walking by his side forever and I wanted to be sure who would be at my back if things turned sour. Selfish, yes. But then again, what did one expect from the Adversary if not self-interest?
    Last edited by Vagrant; 02-02-2009 at 11:02.

Post Fiend

Marcus

"You don't talk too much, do ya?" Rachael's voice sounded through the quiet. We were searching yet another house in Richmond. Mostly for food that could still be eaten, more for her benefit that my own, of course, though she still did not know it, canned and boxed and such. Most of the ones in this neighborhood we came entered looked as if they had already been ransacked. Not by those vile near-dead but by actual people - there as no damage you see. That gave us hope that people really were still alive. Well, it gave Rachael hope. I had not seen another living being, short of her and animals of course, since Rose had.... I looked to Rachael again, still searching even as she patiently awaited my answer. That was something she was good at, which apparently was a saving grace when it came to dealing with me these days: patience. But I looked at her, remembering once again the striking resemblance she had to my dear Rose, and I fought back on those emotions I dared not reveal to anyone again.

I shrugged simply, seeing she saw this though she wasn't content, and I held back a sigh. "Should I?" I said, too gruffly as usual. Her reply was considerate and forgiving at once. It was a remarkable quality about her, given her age, that she could be so damned understanding. She had a keen mind, quick and intelligent, I had learned that little about her, though we had only been together for less than a day. "Well I'd think you would. I'm guessin' you haven't seen anyone else since, well, you know..." she sort of trailed off there; we both knew what she meant and it seemed neither of us wished to dwell on it at the moment. A few more silent minutes passed, we move on to another room. Food wasn't the only thing we looked for. Food, weapons, even clothing and little things like music and such were at the top of our lists. Other things had little value right now, what was important was the things needed to survive.

I remained quiet, reflecting on what she had said. Surely I had changed in the past weeks. Even when Rose was with me I had been far more vibrant that I had become. Perhaps it was not so unusual that I had become so, any sentient being would do the same when kept from another for weeks on end, nothing but the hungry hordes to keep you company. I'll gladly say there was little solace in each that I sent after my dearly departed, but I would not bring back a single one just as each of their deaths could not bring back Rose. I had been a more social fellow in those days, happiness would of course have aided in that. But Rachael seemed to need this comfort of spoken word. I was not cruel, I had never been, and I relented so as to indulge this young beauty. "Forgive. I've not been used to having company lately." She seemed to think this humorous as she laughed lightly, and so I smiled briefly. Well, I might as well keep the facade going. "You do not sound as if you are from Tennessee." She nodded in reply, pausing in her searching to lean against the dresser behind her. I continued as she spoke. "Course. We traveled a lot, dad worked for the government and we had to move around when they wanted him to. Always said it was just like being in the Army." she laughed again, though this time with a wince of remembered pain. I didn't press the subject. "We were in New York but dad got transferred 'bout a month before them, um, incident.... I'm from Michigan originally though."

She had started digging again, this time in the bedroom closet, and I had moved to look under the bed. "I don't recall ever visiting that state." I said as I stood again, more as a way to keep her talking than out of actual interest. As we left the room and headed to explore the rest of the house Rachael did most of the talking. I pipped up here and there to inquire as one should to keep her going, keeping the conversation on her instead of myself. She didn't seem to mind. It wasn't until we passed the front door for the third time that I noticed something. On the front door, carefully taped so that it would not fall off, was a note as if someone had left and wished their family know where they had gone. I almost didn't give it another glance until I noted how oddly it was taped. There was one terse yet highly informative sentence on it, coupled with a date.

"Miami?" Rachael inquired beside me, her eyes widening as she slowly understood what it meant. "Someone was here!!" she shouted in mingled excitement and disbelief. She turned to me, grabbing my upper arms and jumping into the air, "Look at the date, it was yesterday!" It took me a moment to pry her hands off of my arms, though I didn't quash her elation. I was studying the note for a moment. It wasn't hurried, in fact it looked as if the person who wrote it had dawdled when writing it. I looked at her shining face, the clear cut proof that someone had existed in this house, and so recently, was the only thing on her mind. In an odd way, her happiness made me feel better. I had done nothing, or perhaps I had in bringing her with me. Well she needed this more than I did, so when she asked if we would follow I nodded. Damn, and I had wanted to see the beach. Those final moments were inconsequential as we left, taking nothing with us, and got back into the Humvee to being the journey. Being still before noon we set off immediately once I had checked the map.

I told her to rest and relax, I didn't mind driving the entire way. We could do it in one trip if she wanted, but she said she felt safer if we had shelter. Her reasoning was if something happened, if we crashed or something, we'd be unprotected. It made sense so I agreed and checked the map in my hands. Logic and experience lent me their wisdom as I studied it carefully. There was really on Savannah, Georgia and Jacksonville, Florida on our way if we could take the 95 interstate the whole way down. If we were lucky, and it seemed blind luck had already played it's part, we would be shortly behind whoever left the note. I figured we could make it to the former before nightfall and find someplace to keep safe. Good thing was that the nights were long this time of year, I liked that. Spring was always so beautiful.

The journey was relatively long, the length of your average family car trip. Rose... Rachael, I mean, continued to divulge her life's secrets to me, or so it seemed. I said little, though more than I had, enough to make sure she knew I was listening. I was glad she had not yet made mention of Rose; she seemed to sense it was a subject not to be brought up. The sun was slowly sinking when we caught the desolate city of Savannah in our sights. I slid us into the barren city a couple hours before dusk and we began our search of somewhere to hide for the night. Plenty of time, I told myself as our eyes searched in silence. Rachael hadn't learned yet how keen my sense were; that over the sound of the powerful engine I could hear a pin drop or that I could see a single blade of grass moving in the fields far to the west. I had also been an actor of sorts for a long time, blending with humanity so that none knew my secret. And so I was the first to see the two figures walking down a street, though I made no mention of it even given my quickening heart. I was anxious at the prospect of finding people so suddenly. I had not thought to find anyone in Savannah, and I did not for once suspect it to be our quarry. The luck of it would be that they were walking in the light, and while I would not discount the possibility of a mutation in the near-dead (sci-fi movies always loved that), I decided it was safe to believe them to be friendly.

"Look!" she suddenly exclaimed and pointed at her window. "People!" she all but screamed and I slammed on the brakes, jerking the wheel to come about in a one-eighty. I looked in the direction she had been pointing, now out my window, and she nearly climbed over my lap as she pointed in her excitement. "Down there! Do you think it's them?!" That was when the idea struck me for the first time, though I doubted it. That'd be more luck than possible for one day. I pretended to squint a little. "You're right. Sit back, let's go." I said shortly, though I had grown kinder in the hours since Richmond, and she obeyed. In a moment I heard the tires chirp softly as I hurried down the road, not fast enough to cause alarm at being run over, but fast enough. As we neared Rachael rolled down her window and stuck and arm and her head outside. "Hey! Hey!!" she shouted with all the enthusiasm of a teenager who had just spotted her two best friends. "Over here!"
    Last edited by LordKain; 14-02-2009 at 20:56.

Veteran
    I was shaken from my realization of the night before, holding hands with Lilly, by a car flying down the road behind us. My hand gripped the pistol tight and I spun around in alarm. It started to fly up, but I saw it was normal people just trying to see someone else who wasn't a zombie. Loneliness will do that to you. So will edginess. I wasn't worried about myself at the time I realize, but rather for the sake of Lil. Sort of foolish really. She never did need protection the whole time we were together. That's another story. Comes later.

I lowered my weapon and put the safety on before shoving it into the front of my jeans. I held an arm up and waved. They came near and stopped the car. The guy up front looked like he needed some sun, but the girl was like a cherry lollipop. About as hyper as one too, at first impression. "Sorry," I said, meaning about the gun. "Starting to be habit."

I smiled, "My name is Damion, can I help you?" Customer service courses paid off at last! Hallelujah! I held my hand out to the little lady and shook her hand, which she thought was rather strange but cute. Probably just happy to see someone who wasn't undead or trying to kill her.

"My name is Lilly," she said sort of bubbly. I couldn't believe how callous she was, just after losing Derek. Although, it could be attributed to a lot of things. I'm sure in her mind, she lost Derek a while ago. He just didn't know it yet. She was always smart like that. Uncanny would be the word I'd use. As if she'd been there in life already. I dunno. Maybe she was and had a good memory. Who knows?

Post Fiend

Marcus

My eyes swept over the two of them as we approached, out of habit assessing and assigning risk threats. I saw the gun, but wasn't bothered. I've had plenty of guns pointed at me in my sporadic military careers. Besides, what's a bullet going to do to me? My only concern was Rachael, and had the gun been left up for a second I may have acted differently. As it was the man lowered it and we slowed to a stop in front of them. Rachael would have climbed otu of the window if there wasn't a door. A moment after she stepped onto the ground I watched her all but latch onto the other girl, hugging her with all the ferocity of a teenage girl that had been given renewed hope. I lingered for a moment before stepping out.

I nodded to the other guy, Damion he had said, as I approached the three of them. I felt an odd sense of both parental and lover-like satisfaction as she didn't hug him. Leftovers from my lingering feeling, that's all. I really needed to get over that. I wasn't carrying anything; no guns needed for close encounters with me. Sure, there might be people all around waiting to ambush us, but it wasn't as if they could kill me. Though if Rachael suffered their wrath, well, let's just say they wouldn't ever have to worry about becoming one of the near-dead. I was getting a little paranoid, not, just edgy. Just weighing possibilities. Thanks alot, training.

"Oh my God, I can't believe we found people!" Rachael almost squealed in delight, "I'm Rachael, this is" I interjected with a curt nod, "Marcus." and she smiled again. "I told you! I told you we'd find them!" she said excitedly, her enthusiasm more than evident, "Er, I mean, I dunno if you are them or not, but I'm glad we found you all the same. It's been so long, and until Marcus found me I didn't know, I mean..." she trailed off, a slight tinge of red hitting her cheeks as she realized she was rambling. Not to mention they were both looking at her curiously. I felt another stab of jealousy as I watched her rapture at meeting these people. She did not act the same when I had found her. But, then, the situation had been a bit different. Still, I'd have liked to provoke such a reaction from her.
    I shook my head mentally, leaving those thoughts aside. Thoughts of Rose had surfaced into my forebrain again, and while comforting even in my sorrow they would not help my thinking on these matters. My eyes flicked over the three again as Rachael continued. "Um, you didn't happen to write this, did you?" she was asking as she reached into her pocket. From it she withdrew the short note that had been left. I didn't even know she had taken it with her. Though I didn't quite approve of displaying it to them, there was no real reason to keep it secret. Either they were at that home or they were not. Either way, we had found people. I'm sure that counts for something.
    Last edited by LordKain; 14-02-2009 at 20:56.

Regular
    OOC: Shari, Vagrant, I encourage either of you to RP Ishmael if need be to keep conversations going. So long as you attempt to stay in character.

Also, I made a mistake earlier. It was Gabriel possessing Angela, not Raphael.

IC: I knew the conversation was going to happen again. I knew a creature such as her didn’t just let things go. I knew that as someone who had lived for millennia, I had not ever let anything go.

So, I told her the truth that I didn’t spare her. God did.

She sent me a questioning glare that only served to make me more uncomfortable. So for the second time tonight, I just let it all go. I told her everything that I knew.

I told her that I had been left behind. That I was a wayward angel. That I hadn’t heard God’s word in years. That I knew absolutely nothing about what I was supposed to do in this diabolical disaster.

She didn’t know what to say back. She sat back in her chair and closed her eyes as if she wanted to sleep. The quiet in the room seemed to grow. It crawled up and down the walls and left behind pervasive, bold lines of sobriety. Sorrow. My sorrow.

I did not know how to express my frustration, my ire and I could feel my inferno building again in my stomach. But, when Delrana opened her eyes again, it seemed that she had managed take a little of my burden and washed it away. She said two words softly, unlike anything that I had ever heard come from her. It was polite, delicate, and almost quaint.

What next? She asked.

There was no pressure when she asked that, no subtle demands for leadership, no insistent urging for answers. It was merely an acknowledgment that we had gotten this far and that we still had miles to go.

So I explained to her what had happened. I left out L. I figured that in the grand scheme of things, I had revealed already far too much. I emphasized that we needed to find a man named Gerald Gade.

At this point, recognition sprung to her eyes. She gave me a hard searching look, but it was soon obvious that I wasn’t hiding anything. She stalked out of the room, leaving only a few brief hours before morning.

I took a look at Angela, who had now sprawled all the way across the bed, as if possessed by her nightmares. Then I took the seat that Delrana had vacated. I would only rest a while. I assumed my worries could come in the morning.

OOC: Either Shari or Vagrant should feel free to write up the upcoming morning. Shari, I’m deliberately giving you a little line with Gerald, but he will be my character. I have some ideas, but it’s up to you what sort of history between you and him you want to develop.

Basically, you’re coming up with the character and I’m RPing him.

Post Fiend

Dominic

(ya'll forgot about me, so I'm invading XD lol kidding)
    I pulled off the highway, heading for the hotel. I didn't know what I would find, though I all but knew that what I sought was there. I hoped there were people there, too. I didn't know what I was getting into, but I was sure things were about to get all the more complicated. I flashed my headlights as I drew closer, nothing special, no stupid code or some ****, just wanted to be seen. God I wanted them to see me, and of course not shoot on sight. People were jumpy, had to be. I could only hope.

So much for keeping alert I thought as I sat there. I had waited a full five minutes and had seen nothing in response. I figured either they were idiots or no one had seen me, preferably the latter. Either way, there was one thing left to do. The car rolled forward slowly, my eyes searching for that first sign of life. After a moment of nothing I was approaching the parking lot entrance and I was rewarded with something cool pressed to my temple and the words: "Hold it right there."

I rolled my eyes. I couldn't help it. 'Hold it right there', seriously? This wasn't some Old Western movie. If I was what he really feared, and the slight tremor of the gun told me he was fearful, telling me to stop wouldn't do much. Though I had to give him credit on the ambush. "If I was one of them, don't you think I would have attacked by now?" my voice came out slow and measured, despite the heightened sense of danger in the air, my gaze still focused out of the windshield. "Well?" came an anxious voice from the darkness behind the man, and the word was repeated with an edge of anticipation, "Well?"

"Don't recognize him." the first said gruffly even as he stepped back and motioned for me to get out, though to his credit he kept the gun trained on me. I obeyed, slowly, hoping to convey my generally innocent intentions. The door closed and I stood before it, regarding him, and the gun, calmly. "Jesus Frank, he looks alright." the other man said, stepping from the shadows carrying a shotgun that was angled slightly downward. "Good to see ya. Frank here's a bit-" he was cutoff by Frank who said, "Don't mean he's not infected. Gotta watch 'im." The second fellow looked about to argue but shrugged instead and took hold of my arm. My first instinct was to get him off of me, but I doubted that would be met with good cheer. So instead I stood my ground for the moment, prompting the unknown man and Frank to look questioningly at me. "I'd like my stuff." I said, jerking my head at the still open car door. Without a word I reached in and snatched up the bag which contained all that I had left, and then was led away.

"Sorry bout Frank." the guy said once we were out of earshot. "Can be a bit of a hardass sometimes. Good guy though, I s'pose." I decided not to answer and after a few minutes in which the most important thing that was said was his name, Jerry, we reached the hotel itself. There was just one person outside it, which helped confirm that there was a decent number of people here. As we walked, I was clearly aware that the angelic presence was here. We were moving closer to it, my curiosity and determination to see just what I faced giving little room to attend to whatever Jerry was saying. Looking back, I feel a little bad as he seemed like a generally nice guy. Screw it, oh well. I then became aware of another presence, something like and yet unlike the archangel whom I sought. With my mind I tried to focus on it, but it was gone as soon as I felt it. I thought nothing more of it. I was just jumpy.

It was still a couple hours until dawn, so I resolved myself to waiting. Jerry took me to an empty room that must have been the manager's office, there was a desk and no windows just the one door. "Sorry. Just gotta make sure nothing can get in." he said with a shrug, "And that you can't get out, course." I grunted in reply, "Thanks." and walked in. So there I was, trapped in the semi darkness with only the light of my lighter to let me see anything, and waiting.
    Last edited by LordKain; 13-02-2009 at 17:29.

Regular
    OOC:

Ok, LK. First, I didn't read your last post with Dominic, so I missed a few things there. My fault.

However, here are my issues.

A. I already reminded you to carefully label which character you mean. This is not hard to do. Instead, because your characters and your writing style is similar for both characters, it makes it immensely difficult to differentiate. So when I could've read the post once and immediately had an idea of what was going on, I instead had to read it several times.

B. Last I read, your character was in SPRINGFIELD. Do you realize how many Springfields there are? I assumed Illinois or Indiana, but now that I'm thinking about it, it might be Missouri.

You have to be specific. You can't just set a point on a google map and expect us to remember when you're RPing.

Regardless, this leads me to point C.

C. While PRPing isn't an issue, your character has to have some limits. So even if Uriel did reveal his presence, he's MILES and MILES away from Dominic at the very least.

Also, when dealing with powers and abilities, you have to be VERY careful about revealing them to your readers. You can't just say "By the way, he can sense angels." There has to be some sort of prior indication of these things.

When RPing an Archangel, it's a little easier, as there are certain basic conventions and expectations regarding such beings. However, when you're just a relatively mortal character, you have state from the get-go in fairly precise terms your limits, or in certain scenarios, your lack of limits.

Regardless, again you have to be specific.

I'm not up on my Constantine lore, but in order to reveal some sort of omniscience of such an immense magnitude, you just have to explain it very carefully, which I don't think you did in your previous post. Also, as far as I can tell, your character is somewhat different from Constantine, so if you're going to have a departure from a convention, you need even more specifics.

D. You can't just show up on the scene. In your last post, you mentioned that Dominic wanted to help Uriel, but unless his car is magical, he still can't travel so many miles in the span of a few hours (which has been all that's trespassed).

You gave no indication how long he had been traveling. Where he came from. You just said he pulled off the highway. At this point, this thought went through my mind:

What highway? What time is it? How long has he been on the highway? It doesn't have to be "I was traveling on 80-90 for 6 hours and it is now morning." But you need to be clear.

E. If you're RPing Frank Dora, I suggest you mention that it's Frank Dora. In which case, I have been clear to set up a few things concerning Frank that you did not follow, the first of which is that he goes by Dora. It's a small detail, but when I, as an RPer, take the time to set it up, it's a matter of courtesy that you, as a fellow RPer pay attention.

LK, I'm sorry to voice my frustrations the way I did and I agree I came off as a jack-ass, for which I apologize.

Now, I don't mind wrenches, but my main point here is you have to be very specific what kind of wrench it is, and how exactly you're changing the plot. You can't just say "Here I am. Good luck." Because that puts all the weight on me. I do have my limits and the situation was already v. complicated. Which is why I was so frustrated.
    Last edited by Arkady; 13-02-2009 at 20:56.

Post Fiend
    A) We've addressed that, I know, and I messed up. I also just realized that I neglected to label the last two posts for Marcus, so I do feel like and ass for that point. My bad

B) Through my posts I mentioned the states that both of my characters are in. The only thing I can do beyond that is insert the state into each post, which would get tiresome. I did mention that I have the map setup with where everyone currently is, so using that as a reference would be a good thing to do.

c) Springfield, MO and Jonesboro, AR are 218 driving miles away from each other according to Google Maps. I checked Google Earth and found that the straight-line distance is 173 miles. Before I even looked at the Google Maps, I rationalized that Dominic would have sensed something like what Uriel did at about 200 miles, considering what I perceived to be the strength of Uriel's actions. At the same time, I knew that him knowing the exact location would be completely pushing things. As far as revealing what he can do, that can only happen when the situation comes up. You mentioned before that we shouldn't describe things like we would in third-person (your example was clothing and details). Dominic is not going to always dwell on what he can and cannot do, normal people don't do that. So with the absence of character sheets and not posting as we would with great detail, how else would I go about revealing this? Something happened, Dominic reacted. In my mind, given what he does for a 'living', this was a logical progression of things. You can't expect me to explain every detail about my character in the first few posts. Things happen, stuff gets revealed at other points in the RP. I can't help that, in fact no one can.
    The distinction between Constantine and Dominic is character-wise stuff. It's like taking the same idea and altering it slightly, but giving a different sort of person (though similar, I admit) to play the role. I can see your point on stating limits, I could have thrown in a bit about 'not noticing had it been farther' or something, if that is what you mean. That would have been helpful, so sorry about that then.

D) As I mentioned above, Springfield, MO and Jonesboro, AR are only 218 miles away via the highway. Google Maps states that at being just over four hours of straight driving. Given that Dominic departed at most an hour after sundown (estimating eight hours of dark), a four hour trip to Jonesboro is entirely plausible. The events depicted in your post were around when the sun went down (unless I totally missed something), so again a four to six hour trip would place Dominic arriving before sunrise, which is when I am leaving it (hence why I didn't mention it was daylight or anything). I never said it was immediately after this, I figured everyone would understand that I was arriving after the events that had already been depicted.
    At one point I mentioned that it was four or five hours until daylight, which is entirely reasonable when you compare the time it takes to get from Springfield, MO to the border. I leave clues in my writing, even if they are not blatant. Again, though, I know I could have mentioned what highway it way.

E) No it wasn't to be Frank. I picked a name and stuck with it, though I thought Frank was with Alice.

I left things the way they were because I figured Uriel would eventually emerge and either notice Dominic there or not. In either case, Dominic is locked in that room and waiting. In the next post I was going to get him let out and probably have Uriel told about me. My NPC hadn't gone and told Uriel because Uriel was resting, and I figured most of the camp was respecting that.
    I can see how this god a little complicated, but my point was that if there were issues then just email or PM me. That was most of what irritated the heck outta me.

Ren - I'm fine, in fact I was fine shortly after I posted my initial reply. I get over things quick.

I'm more than happy to continue RPing here, and there's no hard feelings on my end. If you wanna smooth out the details with me, Ark, then I'm more than happy to. I swear I do not try to make things more complicated than they have to me.

fake edit: I'll use this place to put my next post for Dominic, if you wanna use yours for Uriel's. or we can delete them, either way
    Last edited by LordKain; 14-02-2009 at 21:25.

Veteran
    OOC: Can't we all just get along?

ark tends to have that tone. No big, you already know he's a stickler for preciseness. If that is a word. OMG! Spell check accepts it! what?!

and lk... It does get a little confusing... i've caught myself wondering what the hell was going on several times... It's a valid concern. Another one, a little pet peeve, is that you don't put a paragraph break between separate character's dialogs... you just keep it in the same paragraph. English doesn't work that way. But it's a small thing and i figured it wouldn't be picking on you to mention it since we're hunting you down right now. :)

so again. Can't we all just get along?

(YES YES... I KNOW I"VE BEEN ABSENT! I'VE BEEN PACKING EVERYTHING I OWN CAUSE WE'RE GETTING READY TO MOVE.)

IC:

=DAMION=

At the moment that she said "you didn't happen to write this," my stomach turned. I tried not too look disheartened, but at least it had brought some random people to me. Probably not random. Just another joke by the universe. Lilly patted my back while I slowly moved my hand up and took the paper gingerly from her and looked at it.

"Yup," I said and let go of a breath I didn't know I was holding. "That's me... That was for my missing family primarily, but, whatever... I already know she has my gun and went home for a while." I handed it back to her in case she wanted it. "I don't think she'll be coming back any time soon. No one decent is left in Richmond right now; probably." I remember grinning and making a joke. Something about it being boring when people weren't undead, and unbearable now that they are. I don't remember it being particularly funny though. I was in finances... Nothing is funny about money unless it's counterfeit.

I made and awkward cough. "Sort of reminds me of a video game I played when I was a little younger and in college my second time around for accounting. Fallout. Anyone remember it? Nuclear holocaust? Half-dead radiation poisoned people everywhere? They used soda bottle caps as money? No? No one?" I didn't feel particularly embarrassed. It was a while ago.

"So," Lilly said, breaking in. "Do you guys know anything more about what's going on than that everyone who recently died has been reanimated and that everyone who was alive either became one or was eaten by one?" She looked sad suddenly, "Along with other weird stuff going on that I can't really explain. Or what the government is doing?"
    Last edited by Jolly Rensha; 13-02-2009 at 22:51.

Delrana

OOC: Ark, next time try not to take quite so much liberty with my character :P

IC:
    Suddenly, I felt considerably less comfortable in Ishmael's presence. Despite his eluding to my question - again - the direction the conversation turned was, in my opinion, worse. I stood outside his room with my arms folded; staring down at the pavement. He told me he was an angel. How was I supposed to believe that? I wasn't even sure if there was a God. I was born into a civilization where there were many gods. Over the centuries, various other religious sects popped up in the name of Jesus Christ and Muhammed, and there were still other far more ancient.

I started walking, nowhere in particular, but I didn't want to stand still any longer. I looked up to the diminishing flames across the street. Despite my skepticism, I had to admit to myself that the sight before me was nothing less than what one would expect from God. Suppose Ishamel was telling the truth. Would that mean God left this earth entriely? Abandoning his angels and washing his hands of us? Can't say I would blame him. His children nuked and poisoned themselves to extinction, and left the planet to creatures like me... and worse. I wandered across the street, still holding my arms in front of me.

Constantly running from these things, I never really got the chance to take a good look at one. I knelt by the corpse of one that had been shot dead, rather than burned. Its shape was still human for the most part. Its skin was blackened and the wounds were open but not bleeding. In fact, there was little blood at all. They truely were undead. How could anything manipulate the dead like this? Even a virus needs living tissue to reproduce itself.

Sighing, I placed my hands on my knees and rose to my feet as the last of the flame wall burned out. The shopping center parking lot was littered with the now-dead. I turned back towards the hotel, my mind going back to Ishmael and Gerald Gade. The name made me shudder. He is the last of a team of human who used my people for study. Used our blood and lives to create what the layman calls the warewolf. Impure, half-breed mongrels! Thier recklessness caused the humans to hunt both of us indiscriminately. Of course, they couldn't tell the difference, but the very presence of a warewolf urges every muscle of mine to destroy it. And I can. Thier human imperfections make them weaker and stupid. Driven only by instict, and lacking cunning.

I recalled various fights with the savages over the years. My adrenaline levels rose the more I recollected. I kicked a stray piece of debris as I forced myself to calm down. I didn't need to get worked up over this, and if Ishmael was hunting Gade, there had to be a good reason. I had been looking for him myself for a long time. I'd more or less given up on a 24/7 hunt, but if Ishmael thinks he survived this mess, the I for one, will make sure that changes.

I entered a room on the hotel second floor. It was vacant, and after shutting the door, my body remembered its fatigue. Just before lying on the bed, I noticed a beam of light cross my window. I move to the glass to check it out, and saw a car recently pulled up. It was a man, and he was soon greeted by a few of the caravan sentries. In a less trying night, I might be curious enough to inquire, but tonight was not that night. He would probably still be there in the morning. I laid on the bed, forcing Gerald Gade out of my mind. My body relaxed quickly on the mattress. It had been a while since I slept on an actual bed...

OOC: Hope that works for you Ark. It's all I could really think of. :\
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Thread Information