Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which dragon and why?

Which dragon and why?

Is Ruby always an obvious first dragon choice or would you sent another one please explain why. The kingdom we gonna war with looks like this : Dark Elves:6 Elves: 14 and Gnomes: 5 we think there are 21 Attackers among them , my mates want to sent the Gold one first hoping to... well I can't understand their way of thinking I've always sent Ruby first and it never failed as strategy so far , could you help me out.

Post Fiend
    The fact that you always used the same dragon, and been succesful does not guarantee any succes in the future.

It is important to know the cost of a dragon in order to decide what to send.
    If you really take a look at the "diffrence" between the dragons, it isn't that high.
    What's intresting is that all dragons cost 20 % of the drafted soldiers, and another 10 % in income.
    That's where the big cost is really.

Now the other benefits of the dragon are more specialized to suit your strategy.
    If your kd mate wants to use Gold dragon, then you should target overall population to lower the BE.
    That way you maximize the effect. That's the easiest thing to do.

You send a ruby if you want to take advantage of the lower military efficency. Easier to break the enemy, while they have hard time breaking you.

In your situation not knowing your kd, I would picked ruby if choose between gold and ruby.
    Otherwise I would pick sapphire, with good amount of WTS.

Enthusiast
    Depends on your enemy kingdom, most of the time Ruby is your best choice with the -8% ME that makes your enemy send more troops in offense and you need to send less to break, meaning you'll keep more defense at home and they will have a lot less defense at home, any kingdom worth their salt will kill a ruby dragon off very quickly as they will lose less % troops killing it off rather than having it on them.

On the other hand if the kingdom your facing has you well outmatched in the t/m departments it might be better to send a sapphire dragon to up their failures strong t/m based kingdoms (hybrids) can do a lot of damage with their t/m ops and having them autofail 20% of them will both lessen their damage and up their t/m losses.

I have never seen a Gold dragon effectively used you'd have to drop their provinces into the low 60% BE range to really use that dragon effectively, usually kingdoms at war have enough barren acres to keep decent BE. Even with heavy peasant control ops. Gold Dragon may work but you better have some really well defined Peasant control plans maybe even a few waves of massacres to start.

The emerald dragon is quite nice especially if you know you can outgrow your opponent if you make them gain 10% less per attack and you can out grow them you can get part of your kingdom "untouchable" and that will allow you to win long term. Key is you have to be able to have some of your provinces be able to outgrow the enemy substantially.

Post Fiend
    we typically use the ruby dragon.. the -8% military eff. is very powerful, and if the opposing kd isn't co-ordinated, it gives us a huge advantage off the start. either way, they loose a good number of troops..

heres and example..say we stick the ruby on them, then we get in a good wave of attacks with it on them, then they kill it, it really works to our advantage twice. so that's really why we go with it
    You remind me of Babe Ruth's gay brother, Gabe Ruth.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziah View Post
    I have never seen a Gold dragon effectively used you'd have to drop their provinces into the low 60% BE range to really use that dragon effectively, usually kingdoms at war have enough barren acres to keep decent BE. Even with heavy peasant control ops. Gold Dragon may work but you better have some really well defined Peasant control plans maybe even a few waves of massacres to start.
    ive seen it used effectively on occasion, normally dwarves (115-120% BE) Vs a kd with low BE (mid 80's) you can drop them down to high 60's BE and really cripple them...

so its best used when you have a high BE advantage over your opponent and want to further increase that lead

we think there are 21 Attackers among them
    Emerald: 10% Higher military losses in combat and 10% lower attack gains

honestly that's what should have been within the choises. but if you had looked at their stats on pimp you could tell quite a few things.

-8% ME... when their overall total ME % is around 120-135% .. personally i dont find much solace in the fact that they ONLY get 8% loss of that.... its kinda sad to waist the gold on a ruby....

perhaps an emerald would have been best suited.. yes many here say saphire, but again he also said possibility of 21 attackers/hybrids. and im not sure about you but a hybrid t/m attacker never really did have high abilities in all 3... just too spread thin and let me tell you... this kd, isnt so great on the t/m dept

then looking at half their BE's and Populations... quite a few of their attackers have 70% BE, some pre-hostile had no homes, about 6-8k pesants, and workers needed for "max" efficiency roughly 28-34k.
    in other words no barren lands.

it was fairly obvious that our first move would be something of a gold dragon... also considering our stratagies as well... perhaps had you decided to browse the forums a wee bit more... you would know our t/ms are or should be working off of that.

once that was finished and dragon killed off, perhaps an emerald or a ruby would be sent, so that after our attackers picked off the land, their BE would rise, and their province would slowly stabalize.. or that would be the supposed "battle plan"

Veteran
    I like ruby dragons because they are an offensive dragon, while the other dragons are defensive.

I like sapphire and emerald, because they're underrated, and people rarely feel the need to get rid of them.

Ruby is kinda universal, just like tactical marines. It works against everyone, but isn't optimal against anyone.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Post Fiend
    emerald for troop killing, longer the other KD leaves it the more bang for your buck.

sapphire for heavy t/m KDs but id pick a gold over this.

gold, a good dragon if left a while and use with pezzie killing tactics. usually more than one sent for better effect. poor chained elfs... affects t/ms too so its pretty good choice for longer wars.

ruby, general dragon to give you the edge if you get it out first for your wave, standard ware for any ghetto but still good in the right hands when they consider the other choices.
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left.

I only ever use emerald or ruby. I used sapphire once and way to many of the spells came through to make dragon effective Emerald is great if you in most acres war witch is what a lot of kingdoms determine war by. Side effect if war is not short then enemy has more looses and can't keep up with you as long as they are not elf.

Like people have said ruby is always effective and that's why people use it. Other dragons are good but much better when used with combo's

For example gold plus population control.

Ruby if your chaining those Elves, Emerald if your chaining those Gnomes.

They will likely kill the dragon after your first wave so it depends who your taking out first really, then use the other dragon afterwards.

Post Fiend
    Ruby is pretty lame in my opinion, emerald isnt that strong either.
    Gold lowers the effectiveness of TG, forts,hospitals,TD, and everything else....giving it the benefits of ALL dragons, if not quite as much.

Postaholic
    imo for most kingdoms, ruby should always be the choice taken. until ur kd is at a high level u r not likely to take more advantage of other dragons than ruby

but if u really want to know how those dragons are generally used, heres a very general guideline that i follow:

if u r planning a long hostile, emerald is the best dragon as troop losses are more heavy pre-war, plus u have gangbang protection so u dont have to worry about getting chained down to double tap range. and since u r exchanging single taps, +10% enemy loss and -10% enemy gain really helps wear ur opponent down

sapphire dragon is a good "early war" dragon if u r against a hybrid-heavy kingdom, as hybrids are most effective in the first day of war (and if u play correctly, they are ONLY good at first day of war). and if u throw in a sapphire u can evade this critical period. however sapphire dragon is definitely not a permanent solution, and u need to be very careful not to rely on it completely for t/m protection. its a difficult dragon to use.

ruby dragon is good in all cases, especially as early war dragon. i think its pretty straight forward how to use it.

gold dragon can also be useful in many situations. personally i prefer to use it late war when enemy's economy is crushed, that way u hurt their ability to make a come-back more than other dragons. however once again its very difficult to say for certain when to use it, because in a lot of late war situations ruby may be a better choice. also gold dragon's effect is more long term, as oppose to ruby dragon (sometimes in late war as soon as a ruby is sent its GG). i personally dont recommend non top kds to use it.

Once half their land is in progress at all times, gold dragons becomes a bit worthless.

We lost a war due to a gold dragon on us, because we took a 24 hour massacre wave on half our provinces and refrained from killing the second gold dragon sent, even though our Ruby got killed.

It was more the lack of killing it that lost the war than the dragon type itself, but the BE drop definitely hurt my hospitals and WT!

Forum Addict
    Each Dragon has different uses.

If you're facing Orcs, Dwarves or Humans, an Emerald is a great opening dragon. Cuts gains, kills more elites. Only send it if you can get it off before their first wave though - later on, their armies will be reduced, so it's not as good. Don't use it for Gnomes, DEs or Elves though - they all retrain troops easily or lose troops slower, so the benefit is limited.

Gold is a great dragon to send if they can't slay it. You'll reduce the effectiveness of all of their buildings significantly, which means they'll be slower at attacking, worse at defending and train troops slower than you. It's especially effective against Gnomes, as a Gnome kd casting TW will lose tons of peasants and have a very difficult time keeping up. If you can get a few fireballs on every province, it's effect is dramatically increased. Finally, if they're running a bank province, this will really hurt his ability to feed his kingdom.

Ruby is the most misused dragon in the game. People regularly assume it should be the first dragon in a war and that's just not the right move. If a Ruby does not get you extra hits or open up larger provinces for hits, it's not doing much to help you that any other dragon wouldn't. Send it early only if they're turtled and you want to send less to break, they're low defense and you want to open them up for doubles or they have large provinces just out of reach. The best time for a Ruby is as the second dragon in a war. If they've already slain a dragon, they probably won't have the troops to kill another and their defenses will already be low, so you can open them up for double-taps or bring some of their big provinces into range. Use it as a crushing finishing blow, not an opener.

Sapphire only has one real use - to make sure they don't kill your dragon. The income and draft losses from a dragon are nice, and a good kingdom or kingdom with a bank will probably slay a dragon early. If you can send this one early, they'll either slay it and be open to a second dragon that they can't slay easily or keep it and lose the income and soldiers for the duration of the war.

Thread Information