Thread: irc help

Post Fiend

irc help

how do i get onto the utopia server on irc? im using chatzilla if that matters

Veteran
    type #MorboIsGreat! and then key in password AllHailMorbo - chatzilla doesn't work anymore, pls use Morbozilla.

Chat address and port.

irc.utonet.org:6667

Don't know anything about chatzilla. Utopiatemple.com does have a java chat which goes to where you want to go.
    Dolgil Rosethorn
    If it's broke, fix it.
    If it's not, don't.
    If you do not like the results, change your methods.
    Quit making the same old mistakes. Make new ones.

Veteran
    utopiatemple java chat is not as nice as the one on www.utonet.org

neway with chatzilla you likely have similar commands as mirc, /server irc.utonet.org will connect you to server, after which you'd do /nick luke3 to make ur nickname as such, and /join #channel to join wherever ur trying to get

For the different ways on how you can connect onto irc check out -

http://utimes.org/connecting-irc

If you're on firefox and have the chatzilla plugin, type irc:irc.utonet.org in the browser line.
    Utopian 5 Sept 2005 - 5 Sept 2013

Sir Postalot
    ok, to connect onto the server, you need to type

Code:
    /server irc.utonet.org
    following that, you will probably want to change your nick to something
    to do that, type:

Code:
    /nick luke3
    you can then join a channel (ill use #strategy as an example) by typing the following

Code:
    /join #strategy
    alternatively you can be (slightly) lazy and do this shortcut:
    Code:
    /j #strategy
    the basic principle for irc channels is #chan_name

finally, to have a channel auto open in chatzilla, simply right click on the tab and select the "open this channel at startup" option

this will mean whenever you start up chatzilla, you will automatically join that channel

also, you might want to try the different "themes" in chatzilla, i personally hate the standard style of the program, and run "Light Motif". To have a look at the different ones, go View -> Color Scheme

last little hint, you will probably want to turn on time stamps, you can do this by going View -> show timestamps, this will have to be done for each channel, but once you have done it once, you dont have to do it again

here is the chatzilla main website, it answers alot of questions:
    http://chatzilla.hacksrus.com/

and here is a link to get chatzilla running by itself, so you dont need FF running to make it work (how mine is running atm):
    http://chatzilla.rdmsoft.com/xulrunner/

if you got anymore questions feel free to ask, ive been using chatzilla now for 2+ years, i feel reasonably confident i can answer most non-scripting questions you may have
    Last edited by _greenie; 20-01-2009 at 03:47.

all this to just lag in some lame channel with about 5 people online who all have inflated egos. Waste of time in my book.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
    all this to just lag in some lame channel with about 5 people online who all have inflated egos. Waste of time in my book.
    for all you know, it could be someone wanting to join a decent kd that has IRC as a pre-requisite

and having never used it before, might be inquiring as to how to get on there =)

its certainly how i started using IRC

Post Fiend
    thanks for the help guys... especially greenie, that was very helpful. I am using it for my gen kingdom. I just defected in recently, and i think we can be a pretty good kingdom... obviously i want to try to help out as much as possible which is why i want to be on IRC.

Thread Information