Thread: The Light of Iracca

The Light of Iracca

What does it mean to achieve enlightenment? What is the purpose of life? These questions were often pondered in the minds of the monks of the Accunari Monastary. The monastery itself was carved out of a mountainside, much like the great city of Tern across the valley from it. Monks trained in the monastery would journey across the valley, in spite of its dangers, and arrive at Tern to spread thier teachings by example, or through service of thier unique skills.

The Accunari Order was as ancient as Tern itself; upheld by tenents of wisdom, self-awarenes, and justice. A typical acolyte joins the monastery no older than 10 years of age, for the training and teachings consume at least twenty years of thier life. Most are deemed ready by age 35 and are allowed out of the monastery to lead whatever life Accun has set before them. For some, they journey to small villages and act as teachers or healers, others are employed by armies to inspire and restore soldiers. War and fighting are not against the Order's tenents, but the monk must choose a path that is just and in service of Accun. Only the wisest among them return to the monastery to teach, mentor, and counsel their brethren.

Accun is not a diety, but rather an ideal. A representation of the state of being to which every Accunari monk aspires. Often depicted as a faceless man in silver armor covered by a hooded cloak and weilding a staff of exquisite design. Because of this visage, most Accunari leave the monastery with similar equipment, though the armor is steel and the staves are basic mahogany with no designs. It is left up to the monk to inscribe his staff as his life's journey continues. Though it's been attempted, no one has be able to sufficiently recreate the staff weilded by the visage of Accun. The Accunari credit this as a semi-divine hand at play, and that the only way to aquire that staff is to find the burial place of Accun. Since Accun was not an actual person, it is difficult to think where that may be.

That very thought was on the mind of all Accunari, for finding the burial place of something not dead, or ever among the living is to achieve nirvana, and such a state of being would enter the monk into Heaven, no longer requiring the staff, and letting it remain for others to find. It is written in Accunari archives that those who ascend are reborn as beings of light who extend the idea of Accun across all the cosmos, much as they did as mortals on earth.

----------

On this day, a wise and devout monk by the name Accu'Sera, who was the leader of an elite cadré of monks known as the Order of Accun, sat before a small group of her students. She was garbed in the traditional female version of Accunari armor which consists of more mail and less cumbersome plate armor, but still she shines just as brightly as the most polished silver. Many of her students believe the light of Accun itself emmenates from her. She sat in an oaken chair with her hands folded gently on her lap. Her head was lowered in prayer beneath her hood, as were her students'.

"...In the name of Accun," she finished the prayer, her students echoing the finalé. She lifted her head to meet the eyes of her learners, "Young acolytes, today marks your fifteenth year of study under Accun. You have been trained in combat, that you might defeat the denizend of Darkness. You have studied the Texts, that you might call upon Accun's divine light to heal, smite, or restore. You have learned the values of wisdom, justice, selflessness, compassion, bravery, honor, and sacrifice, that you might enter upon the world and see thorugh the eyes of one whose purpose is, above all else, to make it a better and safer place to live for everyone.

"In these times, the light of Accun is needed more than ever. The wars of men who have not had our enlightenment, and would seek to better themselves at the cost of innocient life draws ever closer. It is our fear they might set our holy monastery in thier warpath. You are our brightest, most devout acolytes. Your prodigy is the hope of our Order. The Abbot has granted you the unprecedented honor of induction to the Order of Accun." As she spoke the last few words, Accu'Sera rose proudly from her chair, gesturing to her brothers and sisters with open arms, "Rise, fellow monks, and shed your former identity. Turn, face your breathren and announce to them your name of Accun!"
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Recently, several threads have popped up without the requirment of a character sheet. While this is fine with me, I prefer to have a record of the players' characters and at least a simple idea of their personality. Each field on the sheet is optional, if you feel you would rather leave something out. And yes, I totally took this thread idea from my character in the City of An thread >.<

Code:
    Birth Name:
    Personality:

Physical Description:
    Classes: (there's only 3, and they're just for generalization)

Cleric: Focues on divine "magic" through use of prayer and faith, to harm or heal.
    Paladin: Focuses on physical combat while maintaining a basic knowledge of self-preservation.
    Zealot: Pure physical combatant with little or no recuperative skills, may use some harming prayers.

Try not to stray too far from these classes, and please do not consider them equal to thier D20 counterparts. The names are just for reference. All monks use quarterstaves as weapons, as it is part of thier ideaology and symbolism. The staves can, however, be ornamented however the weilder wishes with whatever materials the weilder chooses. You can include a description here or simply do so IC. I would like to see some diversity in class selection, but do not require any. You can all be Zealots for all I care :)

Have fun, and please begin your posts from the beginning of the day before the induction ceremony where the intro leaves off. You can describe the landscape and monastery however you choose, but please keep anything outside the walls to within... say 50 yards.

Happy posting!

PS - Your "Name of Accun" is simply any part of your character'd birth name with Accu' added to the front, like Accu'Sera. It can be either their first name, last name or any combination of letters in squence that appears in ther name (i.e. for Accu'Sera, a character named Sera Morn, Morn Sera, or something like Kesera Morn would be acceptable.)
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Accu'Maran

Birth Name: Maran Solar
    Class: Paladin
    Personality: Devout and determined, Maran will let nothing stand in the way of him completing his assigned tasks. He takes all evil at face value and does not compromise with evildoers. To him, judgment is made only by Accun and any who he sees as evil will go to meet him to answer for their crimes.

Physical Description: Maran is tall and powerful. He has brown hair and eyes and a short beard. He wears the standard Accunari armor and keeps it well polished. His staff is solid and thick with a pair of sharpened mithril wings on the top, stretching upwards. The faceless head of Accun rests between the wings.
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

Post Fiend
    I'm quite certain I will be fairly busy for the time being, but if it is ok I would still like to join.
    I'm not sure where to place Shin Ri. She is the twin of Yoora, but she doesn't quite fit into the Accunari. Perhaps I'll introduce her at a later date.

Birth Name: Yoora Ri (Accu'Yoora)
    Class: Cleric
    Personality: Yoora often feel a deep responsability for every task assigned to her. Each as important as the next one. She takes each failure very personal, and the standard she puts on herself is very high. This might in some cases mean that she demands a very high standard also of her peers.

Physical Description: Yoora is shorter than most. She has dark brown slanted eyes with black hair reaching just below her cheeks with a thick fringe. She has the female version of the Accunari armour. Her staff is simple, clean, with no extra ornaments.

Birth Name: Shin Ri
    Class: -
    Personality:

Physical Description: An exact duplicate of Yoora, for the expection that her face is a bit thinner and her hair long.

Post Fiend

Accu'Yoora

OOC: Not sure if sheets need approval, or if other people will sign up, but I felt like posting. Hope that is ok :)

IC: It was in the middle of the afternoon and the classes had ended, so Yoora Ri was sitting on her usual spot, alone, underneith a small tree in the calm serene park surrounded by thick bushes. In her lap lay a thick brown book which she was studying the Text of healing. Movement caught her attention and she saw Accu'Sera walking by, beautiful as ever. Her light soft steps almost made it look like she was walking on clouds. One day perhaps that would be her walking there and another young student would be sitting on the very same spot looking at her.

"Accu'Yoora." Yoora was trying out the very name she had been working towards achieving for the last fifteen years. Tasting it on her lips and making it roll over her tongue like a gentle breeze. It was the goal of her life. Not the name itself, but what it meant. True and final devotion to the path she had chosen. She had been twelve when entering the Monestary, older than most new acolytes. In fact she had come upon the Monestary earlier, just after her mother died. Her father she had never known. At first they offered her a warm meal and a bed for the night, which stretched out onto many nights after which she had joined as a kitchen-help, helping out where she could.

They had never forced their belief upon her, but gradually it had grown on its own. She had started to see what they saw, believe in the teachings of Accun. On her 12th birday she saw her path clearly before her and she joined the ranks of young acolytes, older than most of them. She had begun to study the Text hard and dutiful, feeling the need to run forward with haste, almost as if she was behind from the start. Feeling the need to prove herself worthy of the position.

Most of her fellow acolytes had welcomed her, even though they had first known her as the kitchen-lass where she had begun her journey towards enlightenment. Who were they to judge another believer who saw the light, yet she was still feeling out of place at times, thinking that every ill looks she received was because that they did not believe her to be worthy of the position given to her. Sometimes she realised that she was being silly, but the feeling never quite left her, making her to study even harder.

OOC: Ok, not so long as I intended, but I need sleep....

OOC: That's fine SoHee. I was hoping for more of a response :'( I'll give it a few more days, I suppose. You're free to continue posting. If no one else joins, I guess it'll just be the two of us :)
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

And then there were three.

Birth Name: Zarth Teras (Accu'Zar)
    Class: Zealot

Personality: For a young man of his considerable strength, Zarth is somewhat of a dreamer. He is just as happy peacefully studying the Monastery's vast library of philosophical and magical texts (despite his almost complete lack of aptitude) as he is running quarterstaff drills. This quiet, likeable exterior shields an explosive temper that he has sought long and hard to contain, however, leading him often to reckless and foolish behaviour if he feels slighted or provoked.

Description: One of those young men built like a barrel with the strength of an ox and a broad, open "honest" face. He is not particularly tall, but the span of his shoulders more than makes up for any deficiancy in his height. He has a mop of curly brown hair and baby blue eyes that frame a slightly offset nose from an old sparring injury that never set quite right. Boyish and youthful, but not really handsome.

He wears slightly customized Accunari armor, with a solid piece breast plate but flexible "scalemail" pieces around his arms and legs to give him more combat flexibility. He is surprisingly fleet of foot. His quarterstaff is shod at both ends in heavy, polished blacksteel.

Really got the point.

Hey i'm a complete noob but i'd recently started watching Acquisitions Inc.'s D&D videos on YouTube and since then have been trying to find a way to participate in a co-op text based game. I would love to join you guys if you'd have a newbie but i would appreciate some help with the character sheet.

And looking back through the dates i realise this is a dead thread :P mea culpa .
    Last edited by Aeryan; 13-02-2013 at 20:36. Reason: Cuz i'm a dolt :P
    *Trolling's more fun than Trawling*

*The Server gets reset but Forums are Eternal*

Happy new year and marry chrimiss

NAT

Thread Information