Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Difference between USA and England

Post Fiend
    Total Area:
    US: 9,826,630 sq km
    UK: 244,820 sq km

Medical and Dental care for-profit deeply troubles me. Says a lot about the priorities of the culture.

But back on topic...

I liked London more than New York. I grew up in NYC, so it could be simple boredom of the familiar. However, after you get uptown of times square, it all gets too grid-y for me, too industrial somehow, and loses its soul. The best bits are the village and financial district, full of cute, enticing alleyways and inconsistent, illogical intersections. London was like that most everywhere, I found it so much fun. The tube is also so much cleaner than a nyc subway, that warrants an entire rant unto itself. It was so shocking to me that a transit system didn't *have* to smell like 40-year old urine. And don't give me 'the tube closes down, the subway never does'--who wants to ride a subway at 2 a.m.? I have, but I didn't *want* to, lol!

when is the last time you rode the subway? was there this summer and didnt smell this so called urine - as for the tube? seems to be about the same as the nyc subway to me

London has a great transport system, I love the way it's so easy to get around there. I love London itself, in fact. I remember reading something recently where London was voted the best city in the world in some way... I can't remember the details, but I think a few different aspects were considered. Part of it was that it was the best city for culture, which is nice to know. It does have a lot of everything a city should have I think, and where a city might beat London in one single field, London is a top class city in so many fields that overall it beats any other.
    You see, there's two kinds of people in this world, my friend. Those with loaded guns... and those who dig.
    You dig.

Post Fiend
    londons a great city and all, been there twice for a few weeks but my uncle lived there for near 10 years but now he's back home. He knew he couldn't live there for life, it was too much of a rat race. any opinions on that?
    Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left.

Yeah I think I can agree with that. I haven't lived there at any point I remember, but I can imagine it being true. I'd like to live there for a few years but I can't see myself making a real home there.
    You see, there's two kinds of people in this world, my friend. Those with loaded guns... and those who dig.
    You dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefaerydust View Post
    when is the last time you rode the subway? was there this summer and didnt smell this so called urine - as for the tube? seems to be about the same as the nyc subway to me
    Last June, I believe visiting family. W. 4th st, F/B/Q line is the worst for urine stench. It's toxic! I found the tube night and day from the subway. I grew up in NYC, subway primary mode of transport, my grandad worked on building the subway in the 40s!...there is a nasty funk there. I can't believe this is even a question! I spent a few months in London overall, and went to many areas of the city on the tube, and I found it always cleaner. No sea of batteries on the tracks, nor rats, nor floors so encrusted with old gum it looked tarred over.

I guess YMMV but I got to say, I don't second guess my perceptions one bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Daivler View Post
    londons a great city and all, been there twice for a few weeks but my uncle lived there for near 10 years but now he's back home. He knew he couldn't live there for life, it was too much of a rat race. any opinions on that?
    Yeah, I could see that. I like London, and would like to live there, but I know it couldn't be forever. I couldn't live forever in NYC either, it grinds you down and wears you out. Now I live in a pretty rural area in California, I miss doing city things but if I'm desperate I make a trip to San Francisco.

I'm not a "city" person, been in NYC about 4 times in my life and that was enough for me.
    Why does the whole area smell like sewerage? As soon as you get near NYC you hit the smell, guess you would get used to it after a while, but coming from living in the rural areas with fresh air NYC is a shock to the system, almost makes me sick at first. It's that bad.

Only good thing is you seem to never be more than a block from a bar there.

No'un ill evah take mah guns 'way. I need them to shoot people when they step on my lawn... Or let their nasty dogs schnittzle on it.
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.

Plato

THK Without the Horns...

Americans invented potato chips and call them by their right name, Brits call them "crisps". Americans have loaded guns, Brits hope no one asks them to start digging their graves.

Quote Originally Posted by nfidel2k View Post
    Actually I consider journalism to be much better outside of the US.
    And tabloid journalism is always crap no matter where you go.
    I agree with here. Ive never seen another countries news but I dont watch news all that often. It pisses me off. But I do go on the BBC website every so often to see whats going on. And Im an American who can point out Britain on a map. Oh yeah, I think Britains cool as hell.

Regular
    It's like a sickness, a desease.. Greed. Greed for money. Greed for power.. Enough isn't enough. The American Monarchys have made slaves of us again.

Thread Information