Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guantanamo Bay

Exclamation Guantanamo Bay

So that prison is officailly closed down. Where are we going to put the prisoners?

Human Rights Watch claims Finland, Ireland, Germany, Portugal, Britain and Sweden have shown interest in taking detainees.

Post Fiend
    i'd like to think obama is closing it because of popular demand.. even if the detainees are transported somewhere else, i can't imagine the us government having trouble 'managing' new detainees.. they will jsut be more descrete
    You remind me of Babe Ruth's gay brother, Gabe Ruth.

They should all be shot on the spot.
    Problem solved.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Veteran
    These aren't nice people that are put there... maybe (and its a big maybe) some of them are innocent, but thats a long shot... I agree with VT2, put a bullet in their heads and quit wasting tax dollars feeding scum...

Regular
    wtf

Obama decided to close down guantanamo, and as a result highly dangerous criminals will be tossed all over europe lol

Like my former computer-teacher.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Regular
    so muslim extremists torture prisoners, usa extremists torture prisoners
    muslim extremists are muslim extremists, usa extremists are christian extremists
    muslims extremists are evil, usa extremists are evil

So for once usa decide to stop something that is evil and goes against the Geneva convention and basic human rights instead of following their evil enemies footsteps... how awful

Enthusiast
    Until they announce what will happen with the detainees, shutting down Guantanamo is just the first step in a deniablity claim. The Patriot Act is still in effect until the end of this year.

Enthusiast
    I wouldn't let any terrorists be transferred to Finland's "prison"

We have no prisons here,you are in "jail" but you can still come and go how you want,just answer the phone when the officer call you and you be fine.

Enthusiast
    How many of the people in Guantanamo have been convicted in a proper trial? Innocent until proven guilty. And no, just because they were arrested, doesn't prove that they are guilty.

Bring them before the world, put them on trial and then shoot them if they are convicted.

There are actual innocent people in there, having horrible stuff done to them.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I work 14 hour days, so I haven't been posting much so I apologize.. I'll try and get back to the other threads where I was discussing things with people ASAP. I'm just a bit busy.. income taxes are a b****. -_-'

That being said, looking at this thread spurred me to post a few small and concise messages.

1. Nothing has been closed yet, President Obama merely signed an order that said that Gitmo should be closed within a YEARS time. It remains to be seen if that will actually happen. I think he may change his mind once he realizes the reality of the situation with the prisoners there.

2. The US in most cases would love to get those prisoners of their hands, for one thing it's horrible PR, but they can't. Why? You might ask? Because on almost all the attempts to repatriate the prisoners the countries of origin do not want them back.. I can't imagine why..

3. President Obama also signed an order (or perhaps it was the same one mentioned above) that halted all ongoing Military Tribunals, and the word is that they plan on making "National Security" Courts, which would be much the same thing, just with a fancy new name and bow on top. They would still face the same problems of dealing with classified information, disclosure of sources and dealing with ACLU lawyers that want to make terrorism a common law crime instead of a military matter.

4. The people in Gitmo are there for a reason, you don't get a free vacation in Cuba for going to your 9-5 monday through friday and church on sunday. Is it possible for someone to be mistakenly put there? Yes, but we can't legislate, or take action for the exception of the rule, but must look at the larger picture and do as best we can.

The people in Gitmo are dangerous and deserve to be there. Though I would wish their countries of origin would accept them because punishment there for most of the islamic world would be much harsher than 3 square a day and a bed.. assuming of course terrorists groups didn't put undo pressure on the government.. but I digress. The point that i'm trying to make is that closing down Gitmo isn't going to solve anything, indeed bringing these people onto American soil and giving them the rights of citizens to defend themselves in American courts, treating their war crimes like common law crimes is just silly. (though i'm sure I could have found a more appropriate word to put there)

I guess i'll just quote a former detainee as my best reason for keeping these people in Gitmo indefinitely. "By Allah, imprisonment only increased our persistence in our principles for which we went out, did jihad for, and were imprisoned for," Nuff said?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...R90lC_pXaHeW4Q

Enthusiast
    I believe the main problem with Guantanamo is the PR for the US. They are not practising the rights they are preaching.

Let's leave the possibility of innocence behind, shall we? The pain, the humiliation and the treatment the prisoners at Guantanamo receive, is basically against everything America supposedly stands for. Is this bettering your image? Making people love you more? You guys were actually better off shooting these people at first sight for your own sakes.

And oh, those three squares, you sure they ARE square meals? Not rotten? Not dog**** sandwich? The drink not pissed in? The food is only given so the prisoners don't actually die of starvation. Cause that would look really bad when leaked to the press.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Enthusiast
    I do lean towards takeshi's post. The prisoners in Guantanamo are all immigrants who have associated with or demonstrated an affinity with terrorism; either in performing a terrorist act, supporting terrorism, or training and/or preparing the way for terrorist acts. The problem that I have is that terrorism is too loosely defined right now and the burden of proof isn't required to hold a detainee. At least one person has already been unjustly detained in and eventually released from Guantanamo.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsyer View Post
    i'd like to think obama is closing it because of popular demand.. even if the detainees are transported somewhere else, i can't imagine the us government having trouble 'managing' new detainees.. they will jsut be more descrete

I agree. Even though he just got elected, he has already got to start thinking about his campaign for 2012 so he is probably doing this just for popular demand and let some subdepartment open a secret one. Who knows, another one may be open without his permission.

As for people being let free from there, there is 3. You forgot Harold and Kumar ;)

Thread Information