Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF Mickster

Enthusiast

WTF Mickster

You close a thread that has a legitimate strategy discussion going on just because there's a few insults?

What the hell is this crap? One of the people giving solid advice was going to help me with my setup, but since I'm unable to be on 24/7 I was unable to continue the conversation. Now the thread is completely ruined. That thread seemed very civil compared to other threads around, but I don't see them getting closed all of the time.

There's no reason to mod these boards so conservatively. Part of giving out strategy and advice in a game where sometimes being unconventional works is a few insults here and there.

You want players to visit these boards so they can get advice on how to play and hopefully bring in more of their friends to the game, correct? People aren't going to visit boards where threads are closed all the time for stupid reasons.

Enthusiast
    For the record I'm talking about this thread:

http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php?t=582033

Post Fiend
    I thought Mickster got booted from Utopia mods for being a NOOB - sorry he's back .

Post Demon
    What, exactly, was over the line in that thread? I spotted at least one poster that edited out a bunch of insults because they weren't actually refuting anything.

Now I'll be one of the first to say that vines is getting a bum rap here - but he's done a lot to earn his status as well. He has in fact posted just about the most confused and just plain wrong post ever on the topic of percentages. I know why people attack him so much - we have enough trouble pointing out "the obvious" as it is, we really don't need him confusing those that lack strong analytic skills. But, while I think the attacks were overdone, I also didn't see anything I would have flagged as out of line.

So, again, what was over the line? I can guarantee people will start calling for your head - you need to explain if you want those of us that try to behave rationally to stick on your side. A lot of people feel they own these boards, and don't take kindly to anything that smells of censorship.

I've seen it before, I'm sure I'll see it again. But no reason you can't clear this one up before we've got another mod war going. Doesn't do anyone any good.

Think Different

Mickster's on the rag.
    Don't hold it against him - he can't help it.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Ezzerland
    There was one user repeatedly being insulting. I disagree with the closing of the thread, the 'punishment' should've been against the single user tbh.. But I don't think the forums are set up to allow minor bans and etc. So, not exactly something Mickster can control.

Now, cheech, there is such a thing as a PM button.

The thread was ruined far before I got there by vines, so I don't care about your opinion either Ezzer. This was a perfect example of the problem with vines being allowed to post, poor Cheech was asking a valid question and getting BS answers from someone who doesn't know anything about it.

Was that one less insulting for the sensibilities of people on these boards? God I'm gonna get deleted...

Anyway Cheech, the few posts before vines ruined it were all solid arguments about your topic, and as an experienced dwarf, science and TDs can overcome the penalty, tho I wouldn't suggest trying anything but WTs against a thief heavy opponent like a gnome or something, because you will be eaten alive.

Generally my kd started using TDs when our dwarves got unbreakable and could afford to train some decent tpa and do some damage on smaller provs. But keep in mind our strats also had massacres, which damage enemy tpa to the point where a dwarf could NS successfully ;P
    Last edited by DHaran; 02-02-2009 at 20:31.
    S E C R E T S

Enthusiast
    I really didn't want to continue the conversation here. This thread is to address what was so egregious that warranted a legitimate thread getting closed. I've read through it several times and see no curse words, no racism, nothing that seems terribly against protocol. The mods should only be here to remove locations, edit curse words, and delete racism. There is really no need to close a completely legit thread where two players have two different points of view. I'm curious to hear Omac's reasoning behind this so in the future we know what the line is that we can't cross.

Ezzerland - We could communicate through PMs but then the rest of the community couldn't see the debate and decide for themselves what they want to do. The strategy board is mostly geared towards helping noobs is it not?

Ezzerland
    I was mainly commenting in reply to ethan, whom said people edited their own posts, noting that mickster had edited yours quite a bit. I think I made it clear that I disagree with the closing of the thread.

Frankly, I don't care what you think of me :P
    <3

Cheech - I'd love to think it is that, but unfortunately a lot of the posts I've seen here are basically what Dharan said. Made by people who just don't understand the game, and like to think they do. They give faulty information, be it on purpose or out of lack of knowledge.

Hopefully it wont be too much longer before this changes, but I can't give any guarantee on that yet.

PS - The PM comment was about your option to PM mickster about the closing of the thread. Publicity is sometimes a cool thing, but usually not necessary.
    Last edited by Ezzerland; 02-02-2009 at 20:39.

validation got upset cuz i called vines a moron. thats it. Though I doubt anyone will dispute that fact.

lol fair enough Ezzer :P
    S E C R E T S

Mickster's just a n00b.
    Ignore him - same with phoenix.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Mickster is ok in my book, I'm glad he closed it, cuz I finally walked away and got some work done.

In fact I just went back and re-read the whole thing, that's some pretty good editing, got all my good stuff :(
    Last edited by DHaran; 02-02-2009 at 20:39.
    S E C R E T S

Post Fiend
    vines is pure entertainment, though. And while I do encourage calling him names, I would hate to see him go silent again.

Regular
    There is only one plausible explanation for what happened.

Mickster is Vines.

Cheech: "Great plan vines. I'm gonna set that for my entire kingdom (we're running loads of dwarves BTW)."

This is what set me off, I didn't know if Cheech was being serious or sarcastic, but the mere thought of some poor guy coming in looking for help, and getting advice from vines then going off to run his kd that way just completely made me go nuts.
    S E C R E T S

Thread Information