Thread: Conquest

Conquest

I'm an elf war hero, and i use conquest.

I have noticed on the boards that conquest is generally held in poor accord. It's returns are not so great?

I don't play by formulas or excel spreadsheets, i try to play mostly by feel. Partly, because I think it's a good way to play, but mostly because i'm too lazy.

Anyways, my point here is, I feel that I can keep more bases covered. I can keep my WPA up, keep my TPA up and keep my DPA up, and keep a modest offense for conquesting. I could probably lower my TPA and generate more offense for full traditional march. But then i feel vulnerable to theives.

So i guess what i'm asking is, is it just plain wrong for me to be relying on conquest? Should i make more offense and use traditional march? Or am i justified in my conquesting.

On my last attack i gained 28 acres, 9 building credits, and lost 149 offspec and killed about 90 troops. No modifiers on either side.

EDIT: and with quickfeet on my army is out for 12H

Regular
    I don't think it should be relied upon like you are doing. If you use Trad. March, you will be doing much more damage to your enemy, while doing less damage to yourself through troop losses. It might be the only way for you to hit now, but you should strive to be able to TM soon.

I do really like conquest though, I think you just need to use it correctly. I have found 2 great uses for it.

The first is taking down big provs that are almost out-growing your own KD in war. If you get pitfalls on him and throw a couple CQ on them, they are softened up for your attackers to TM him.

The Second use which I really like is it's usefulness in double tapping. 2 trad marches are of course better, but it is really nice to be able to throw a trad march at someone, and then CQ another chain target.

In the end though, don't use it as your main staple.

The main problem of conquest is it's gain and casualty rate. Not only do you get less gain , you will also suffer much higher troop loss. For your information, 1 traditional march can get you more gain, even if you can double-conquest a province.

In the context of a war, using conquest in replacement of traditional march will slow your kingdom overall land gain and may lead to your kingdom to fall behind in terms of arces, which will probably mean losing the war.

What's more, why do you worry about having lower TPA or even lower WPA? As an Elf, you have spell that can help you defend against thievery and magic ops on you. From my experience, 24/7 Clear sight, 10% WT and 1.5-2 raw TPA will be more than sufficient against thieves..

Conquest is only useful in specific situation such as taking down a T/M or preventing yourself from getting double tap/triple tap with army out after getting ops heavily.
    Last edited by lysic; 08-02-2009 at 01:13. Reason: grammar

Regular
    You lost 149 soldiers, they lost 90.

With -50% Elf casualties, and +25% enemy losses (War hero). Tell me what's wrong with those numbers.

If you did a Traditional March, they'd lose about double what you do on average but you ended up losing 50% more than them that time around.

Did you even get spec credits with that Conquest? I can't remember if you do, cause I only used it twice last age and it was horrible enough that I didn't bother with it anymore.

I didn't get any spec credits. But it's not only about keeping up TPA for defence, it's keeping up TPA to gather my own intelligence.

EDIT: But yes, i understand, I'm changing up the build to make more offense.

A follow up question, for those willing to help me out.

The general best way to make offense is a blend of training grounds, forts and stables? yes?

Yes, generally a lot lot heavier on the TG than anything else.
    Proud to be a WannaBee

We are recruiting again now for 1-2 spots, let me know if your interested via pm. Experience isnt necessary as long as you are committed and IRC capable to aid the learning process.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    On my last attack i gained 28 acres, 9 building credits, and lost 149 offspec and killed about 90 troops. No modifiers on either side.
    If this was a full break and you used instead a trad march you would have had these values: 37 acres gained, 12 building credits 75 offspec lost and 90 troops killed.

Conquest is a really bad attack unless you can not fully break but need to hit a target, which occurs during some wars where there is a larger heavy defended province which is otherwise untouchable.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Anyways, my point here is, I feel that I can keep more bases covered. I can keep my WPA up, keep my TPA up and keep my DPA up, and keep a modest offense for conquesting.
    Sounds cliché, but the best defense is a good offense. You can't 'use' a good defense, but you can use a good offense.

Thread Information