Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orc/Artisan uses

i was able to unlock the missing piece in the equation, the diminishing returns of buildings.

some people might have unlocked the formula already, but i'm proud to say that i was able to unlock it myself.
    If you mean
    BaseEffect * BuildingsPercent * BuildingEffectiveness * (1 -BuildingsPercent)?

Training Grounds
    Offensive Military Effectiveness increased by = 1.5 * (TrainingGrounds / Land) * BuildingEffectiveness * (1 - (Training Grounds / Land))

Thats been knocking around for years ;p
    Proud to be a WannaBee

We are recruiting again now for 1-2 spots, let me know if your interested via pm. Experience isnt necessary as long as you are committed and IRC capable to aid the learning process.

Ezzerland
    To be as blunt as possible. Just about anything is "feasible" in this current game.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishandra View Post
    If you mean
    BaseEffect * BuildingsPercent * BuildingEffectiveness * (1 -BuildingsPercent)?

Training Grounds
    Offensive Military Effectiveness increased by = 1.5 * (TrainingGrounds / Land) * BuildingEffectiveness * (1 - (Training Grounds / Land))

Thats been knocking around for years ;p
    mine is different. but i confirm it with my structures and some of my KDmate's structures. its a decreasing sum starting from 1+0.98+0.96+....+0.02. this should result to a sum of 24.5 (which is a 25 if you're talking in discrete terms, but it should sum to 25 if the function was continuous).

the guide says that 50% of the building will result to 25 times the said amounts with 100% BE. that's my basis for the sequence 1+0.98+0.96+....+0.02. as you can see, 0.98-0.02 are 50 terms. these are the weights attributed for each percent starting from 1%.

its really nice when it comes to you out of nowhere.

like what i said, its a no brainer equation.

its like finding a differential equation, but in a different respect! but i guess some people would never understand the happiness in finding equations by themselves.
    Last edited by Ansel; 06-02-2009 at 23:27.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzerland View Post
    To be as blunt as possible. Just about anything is "feasible" in this current game.
    yeah, anything is feasible. you just need to know from what benchmarks you're coming from.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziah View Post
    I never said plain TG's or Plain stables infact you can try the math yourself starting with 10% in forts and 10% in TG's and you'll see that an additional 10% in TG's will out weigh 10% in stables for orcs.

Stables were never as good as being able to steal warhorses and use extra +% ome buildings (which were not always called TG's) but who cares about then I was speaking about the game as it is today.

Stables are not as good as using TG's and/or Forts to boost OPA on an orc.
    not really. solver puts it at +3% TG's and +7% stables to optimize modded opa. that's assuming that you already have +10% in TG's. (i made a constraint TG's+stables=20%)

i have to admit that you're right in some respect. if you're coming from the benchmark that you'll only use a max of 10% on TG's+stables=10%, solver puts it at 10% TG's. i guess its only logical because of the high returns on the effects of the 1st 10% of a building.

but on the other hand, it is not logical to put only 10% in TG's+stables+dungeons if you're an orc, or an attacker in that sense. you're gonna have to up 20%-30% on those 3. (30% for me. barracks is 10%, hospitals is also 10%)

this is without artisan personality.

so, have you tried my spreadsheet?

Stables also add nw but are better when BE drops below 80%.
    Gamer4Life

The NW and ability to lose horses is also very important. If you are army is ever in, you stand to lose horses from lowered capacity from massacre/Trad march and you also risk losing them to thievery.

The NW weight of horses can be signifcant especially with the weaker troops that utilise them more, which is why TG are almost always better, unless your BE is shockingly low, at which point you probably have massive draft, where again TGs are better (assuming more off than def).
    Proud to be a WannaBee

We are recruiting again now for 1-2 spots, let me know if your interested via pm. Experience isnt necessary as long as you are committed and IRC capable to aid the learning process.

I figured that Orc/Artisan was the most useless race/personality combo in the game, lol.

I figured that Orc/Artisan was the most useless race/personality combo in the game, lol.
    Shouldn't that honor be given to Dwarf rogue or even Human mystic?

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by hellokit View Post
    Shouldn't that honor be given to Dwarf rogue or even Human mystic?
    actually, no!
    human with +30% sci isnt as bad as people think
    and dwarf can do reasonably well with high BE and decent TD's

i would rate anything/art as being useless (cept possibly gnome/art)

Art's main problem is the bonuses can be replicated and beaten by Sage or even anyone with good sciences, whereas most personalities let you achieve something unachievable without them.

Building protection is nice and all, but fairly situational.
    Proud to be a WannaBee

Post Demon
    Orc/Art attacker has fairly simple plan... homes+stables + Fort/TG. Why Fort/TG? Because you like homes so much you have nearly 100% base BE, making your TG/Fort good!

Farms+Guilds+Towers+Homes+Stables+Dungeons+(very little bit of) Banks = not trivial %.
    Even if we discount the banks (since their flat rate part is small), most strats call for at least 30% of those buildings. Which is your quoted 6% saved.
    But homes got that little bit better, as did your stables, so you're probably running "max" on both of those. Having 50% of you land in those buildings isn't unreasonable, though that does mean 15-20% homes, which usually aren't worth it except for Art. And now you are looking at 10% land saved, instead of only 6%. Not optimal, but not bad either. And that 10% is ALWAYS saved, something not to be underestimated. (Sage, for example, doesn't help at all in war. It just goes in stronger, though good play matters more for sci that sage personality. I've seen some pathetic sages out there!)

In short, Orc/Art can work. Especially if it is a strat that plays to the combo's strengths...

Think Different

Even if your kingdom is not too active there are better personalities than art. I like merchant it helps in war and OOW. It also helps with dragon in both getting it completed faster and protects from the income penalty. However it is rather a boring personality.

Art/Gnome is decent however I rate Gnome/Rogue as being the better choice.
    Gamer4Life

Artisan is a niché-personality for a subpar race.
    Combining two dull knives does not result in one sharp knife - you're still stuck with that dull knife you had at the start, only you now have two.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
    not really. solver puts it at +3% TG's and +7% stables to optimize modded opa. that's assuming that you already have +10% in TG's. (i made a constraint TG's+stables=20%)

i have to admit that you're right in some respect. if you're coming from the benchmark that you'll only use a max of 10% on TG's+stables=10%, solver puts it at 10% TG's. i guess its only logical because of the high returns on the effects of the 1st 10% of a building.

but on the other hand, it is not logical to put only 10% in TG's+stables+dungeons if you're an orc, or an attacker in that sense. you're gonna have to up 20%-30% on those 3. (30% for me. barracks is 10%, hospitals is also 10%)

this is without artisan personality.

so, have you tried my spreadsheet?

I started with 20% already in military buildings 10% TG's 10% forts, not including the 10-15% I'd have in rax for speed, nor the 10-15% I'd have in hospitals for sustaining power so you're already at 40-60% in non-artisan buildings, and still have the guilds to put in to keep from getting owned by spells. I have worked without stables for a really, really long time and understand how to get around without stables running higher offenses than guys with stables if you introduce forts into the concept and introduce a held defense you'll find adding forts to be nearly as effective as adding TG's meaning you can boost your offense by a % based boost instead of a value based boost, also depending on your offense/defense ratio all of these numbers will vary greatly, but what happens with stables is that they do not benefit from the different off/def ratios equally.

All that matters though is pure total offense and defense, if you can gain more offense with stables be my guest but do consider TG's/Forts first you'll find they give more offense at the same defense. Also make sure to consider your offensive value per unit stables give alot more offense to a gnome using 5 offense/unit than to an orc giving 8 offense/unit.

Thread Information