Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utopia, taking it too far?

Utopia, taking it too far?

My Kingdom has gotten into its first war this age, which is great all our players were blood thirsty and out for a war.

The topic of this thread, one of their players actually managed to find me on myspace, I wont tell you how as this would probably be something other players would do.

They know my real name, they know where I live (what city), and they know my job and anything else about me that is posted on my own personal page.

I realised this because they used my real name in the war forums, and posted about the city I live in.

In reply on the war forums I wrote:

May 21st, YR2
    Whichever one of you did this has too much time on their hands, innovative, but a bit invasive.

Id probably be wary of doing this, you could offend people.

Anyway XXXXXXX is a nice place to live. Especially where I am, I have a nice river view, and a beach view from my house.. 8P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 22nd, YR2
    When the Queen tells you to gather intel, YOU GATHER INTEL!

May 23rd, YR2
    Like I said it is invasive. Its a game, not real life. Knowing about me personally has nothing to do with Utopia.

Im not complaining so dont take it the wrong way, I am just saying that doing that could offend people.

What are you opinions on this? I am not worried, I realise that there is no malice in it, and that there is probably not a problem with it since my myspace page is not private either, but I feel that "gathering intel" when your playing a game, should be in game.

Knowing about me personally has nothing to do with Utopia and does not benefit them in anyway with the war.

Enthusiast
    This is why I'm not putting my info on myspace and sites like that...

Well, I have it to keep in contact with my friends, same with facebook. Even though I dont log on very often, maybe Ill change it to private. You do agree though, that its taking it a little too far. Especially since this is a game and as I stated has no benefit to them what so ever.

Enthusiast
    Too far yes but you shouldn't use real name as province name or ruler name

I suppose they found you because of that

Your State/Province is ok but I would not put my address on the net.
    Gamer4Life

I do not use my real name, for province name or ruler name at all. My name in Utopia is Jobolob like it is here.

My address is not on the internet read the post:

They know my real name, they know where I live (what city), and they know my job and anything else about me that is posted on my own personal page.

Like I said I am not going to divulge how they found it as it would open up a whole new can of worms for people that would want to do this.

Someone was extremely bored... Don't worry :p

U gave them your mail/MSN?
    OLDSCHOOL

Inferno of Absalom
    The Gay

No I didnt give them my email, MSN. I gave them nothing. Im not worried, I just think that there was no reason behind doing it.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobolob View Post
    Knowing about me personally has nothing to do with Utopia and does not benefit them in anyway with the war.
    Knowing when you are likely to be/not be online can be important information. Where you live, work etc help with this. I wouldn't do it, don't care that much about the game, but I see nothing wrong with it. It's not like you're trying to hide the information...

Yea that's a tad extreme if you ask me. Sounds like Adelaide, lovely place. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Snarko View Post
    Knowing when you are likely to be/not be online can be important information. Where you live, work etc help with this. I wouldn't do it, don't care that much about the game, but I see nothing wrong with it. It's not like you're trying to hide the information...
    Thats a good point, and like you said I wasnt trying to hide it, but I didnt see the need to hide it, I didnt realise people from Utopia were going to scope me out!

Either way it more surprised me than anything else, when people you dont know know your real name and what city you live in it disturbing.

Lestat you hit the nail on the head... 8P

Regular
    Could you at least tell us how one can avoid being scoped in the manner they did to you?

Quote Originally Posted by DetHStorM View Post
    Could you at least tell us how one can avoid being scoped in the manner they did to you?
    Well, my email is similiar to my nick. Therefore when they searched on Myspace for my nickname, my page came up. With the fact that on here I have South Australia as where I live they realised it was me. Also the fact that my email is basically one of a kind (I understand the paradox to which that creates). What I mean is that it isnt, something along the lines of John_2861@wherever. It is not similiar to many other emails.

Since my email is strange and not similiar to others, only 1 person came up from the search they did, which was obviously me. So my suggestion would be, dont have your email similiar to your province name / ruler name / on forums.

Like I said, its innovative, but a bit invasive too.

Last month I read in news that a research team at an university, (I don t remember the country) has been able to write the whole life of guy.
    they just chose someone randomly and then gathered all the infos they could find about him on internet.
    They have been able to recreate all his life story including all important dates, the names of his childs, his hobbies, his illness, his diplomas, his credit card number, his driving licence number,.... everthing about him.

the aim was to inform authorities how it s possible to know everything about someone simply using internet and with no hacking at all.

Regular
    That will be helpful jobolob.

It's how much you choose to divulge on the internet that really matters. Not everybody tells everyone everything online.

Thread Information