Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Honor Gains System

Post Fiend
    @ Diaf

The fixed gains system benefits activity as you already mentioned, and you want that to be rewarded. I'll assume that each attack could gain 100 honor points. In a war between 2 good kingdoms I cannot imagine resulting in high honor gains for either, as the amount of attacks will be similar. I think gaining honor from ghettos would perpetuate, because it still will be easier to gain honor from them. I'm not sure if that would be best way of gaining honor, as you said the kingdoms with most wars (and won wars) will be gaining, potentially less, honor, but faster.

Right now, a KD has to plan such that they need similar NW for optimal warring. Must they also plan to have similar honor?
    I think if their goal is honor then yes. Let the best war the best.

Also in your example 20 province kd vs 25 province kd, those 5 T/M's don't just disappear. Everything held equal the 20 province kd has no chance of winning, and let's not even talk about gaining honor. Ultimately activity combined with strategy will decide which kingdom wins, and gains honor.

@ nfidel2k

My formula was only an example, and while I think it's a good idea I haven't claimed it's perfect. So the var_a can be modified to make drop of gains less severe. I don't understand why you think gains can't be based on one's honor. The more land you have the more you gain, why can't it be similar with honor gains. I could guess it has to do with what you said before about easily reaching higher honor ranks. Changing honor points that are needed for certain titles could be the easy solution to that. But with my system it would be increasingly difficult to gain higher honor points, as there'll be less and less opponents with similar honor.

@ divinorum

Why is it more honorable to hit someone of equal ranks? What happened to 'for death or glory'?
    You're right we should be able to take all honor and land, and kill a province with one attack. It is overly exaggerated, but, with land gains, topfeeding has been limited with networth gains, so I think similar limitations should exist in honor gains.

Enthusiast
    Skarp, your view of land gains is off. Currently Utopia uses a NW-based gains system, which means that the gains modifier is based upon the relative NW of your province and your target province. Other factors affect the gains as well, such as race, science, buildings, kd stance, GB protection, etc. But the gains are not based on the attacker's land size, they are based on the target's. Even in land-based gains formulas, the attacker's land size is only used to compute the gains modifier, not used as the base. Changing the base means that the gains formula would be more dependent upon the attacker's size, and less upon the target's.

Think of it this way: You and I both have a pizza. You have a medium pepperoni, and I have a large chicken and banana peppers deep dish pizza with garlic butter sauce on the side. I look at both of our pizzas and decide I want to take some of yours. I figure that 25% would be fair, so I reach in and grab. Do I take a quarter of your pizza, or do I take an amount of your pizza equivalent to one quarter of my larger pizza?

Now, this may sound contradictory, but I would support an idea similar to the earth-style land gains system, where the base value is the lesser of either the attacker or the target's pool. This would cap gains in both directions, but not hamper players in target selection. Throw in a small modifier to encourage upwards target selection. But I would still prefer a fixed-base system.

Post Fiend
    Similar limitations already exist. Honor gains are effected by relative NW just like gains are. Secondly i dont understand wtf youre trying to achieve with your example, make yourself look like a moron perhaps.

Enthusiast
    Yes divinorum, relative NW affects the current gains for honor. We weren't talking about the current system, but rather the thread idea which was a new system for honor. If you don't understand, I suggest reading the entire thread rather than one or two posts. Or take my summation: I like pizza.

Thread Information