Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overpopulation/Army Deserting

Overpopulation/Army Deserting

Hey guys....last war i got hit 2 times and my army was already deserting due to overpopulation. I was at 65% Draft. I'm an Elf/War Hero and found this to be ridiculous....how can i prevent that in the future??????????? I'm thinking of running guard stations perhaps.

Elf is prone to overpop, but 2 hits seems awful low to already be deserting. Did anything else happen, like some arson of your buildings?
    S E C R E T S

He probably had a ton of wizards, plus his army.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

had about 2tpa and 1.5wpa...no t/m operations were done on me.....how can i prevent this from happening, or at least reduce it???? lower military draft?

I have never seen a 2 hit overpop, something doesn't seem right to me here :/
    S E C R E T S

Enthusiast
    That wouldn't matter VT2, only peasants leave if you are under 115% overpop.

Probably had some buildings destroyed by ops, or made some kidnaps prior to being hit putting him into overpop earlier, I actually did that by accident during my last war as an elf. I was kidnapping for peasant destruction and received 2 hits putting me into overpop even though I was only over by 1500 peasants before the hits I was at +30% after the hits.

My guess is the two hits made were rather large ones possibly orcs with massive gains science and using extra hours, looking at 15%+ taken per hit.

Elf -50% losses causes the issue during war, not much you can do about it though, just don't build hospitals cause that just makes the issue worse.

How many homes are you running, if any? And what does your population science look like? Getting more population science would provide some cushion after getting marched. Like you said guardstations would help too, but better off saving the building space for other buildings.

Yea the draft % and tpa/wpa doesn't really matter, it's the total vs max population that causes the desertions. uzziah made a good point about being slightly overpopped before the hits, I have seen that before from kidnapping and propaganda runs.
    S E C R E T S

Enthusiast
    Any good A/T knows to be very careful when doing kidnap and/or propaganda runs not to make themselves too overpopulated, at 1500 acres I was able to grab upwards of 600 peasants per kidnap op this last war I was in. I had available ~40 ops to start the war and was ~75-80% successful, at 600 peasants per op and ~30 ops I could have easily put myself into overpop range without having a single hit made against me. if you use kidnapping as part of your peasant killing strategy you should make the kidnaps after you fireball the province down so as to not overpop yourself.

tks for all your input. I always run 10% homes and not too much population science. the hits made against me were both pretty big and i might have kidnapped a few attempts. Guess have to be much more careful next time.

This is a good way to disable an elf though. And if an elf does a massacre, he's pretty much dead in the water. it will take another hit for him to recoup land and by the time the land comes in, it's usually too late. I like the Gnome War Spoils option, helps a lot

Sir Postalot
    only way i can see it, is if 2 orc's did a max gains hit on him for 15%+ of his land...
    that could POSSIBLY do it
    Deliverance -> secrets -> anzac -> mercy -> rage -> "ghetto"

Post Demon
    Why is it only orcs that can make 15% land grabs? I grant its a bit early right now for human to have huge hits... but late age I EXPECT 22% gains per hit at the start of war. Now, it's 22% of my size, 20% before explore pool... and target is often 20-30% larger in land. But it still all translates to 15% land gain from target for HUMAN, NO extra hours!

BTW, the gen age I had +150% gains sci was funny. But sadly, there is a learn cap similar to the plunder and land caps... otherwise I'd have found a minor HoDF style loophole. Is why I tested on gen instead of doing in on WoL - I didn't think it'd work. But it sure was funny.

Think Different

Post Demon
    It's been known for quite a while that there is a cap to attack gains. The cap is your own land

the cap is 20% of the smaller province, actually. 22% in war, due to pool.
    Utopian 5 Sept 2005 - 5 Sept 2013

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by puppy101 View Post
    the cap is 20% of the smaller province, actually. 22% in war, due to pool.
    what she said ^
    Deliverance -> secrets -> anzac -> mercy -> rage -> "ghetto"

Thread Information