Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Archangel Protocols: Revival IC

Casper was standing outside the door to the Red level briefing room, probably all but invisible to the very few people who passed his way. He had been waiting there for about an hour, but time wasn't important to him. He could stand still for days if he was told to do so, not that he would. Still, the lack of any general sense of fatigue had its benefits.

A few minutes before the briefing, a trio of attendees appeared from the lift and made thier way inside. Casper followed behind them, and quietly took his seat while the bigger one went on about something partaining to thier previous conversation. It wasn't long before the remaining few had entered and the door closed. Security measures went into effect and Casper turned his attention to General Train as he entered and promptly went on with the briefing. Casper began taking audio records of the mission details, which unfortunately, there wasn't much. When prompted, Casper accessed his terminal and rather than read through the materials, he withdrew and interface plug from his wrist and uploaded the documents into his internal memory.

When the General asked for questions, Casper had a couple, "Sir, what are the exfiltration details, and who is mission commander?"
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Post Fiend
    General train looked to the android and replied, "As usual on a mission like this, should exfiltration be required, your transport in will be ready to move in and recover all survivors upon transmission of the security code on one of your encrypted communicators. Should you fail to contact the transport within 12 hours of insertion, it will depart. Should you still be alive at this point, It will be up to you to make your way back to base, or failing that, to initiate the self destruct protocol and erase your existence."

"As to mission commander General authority will be granted to Azrael, beyond that command structure is to be settled amongst yourselves.You can work as independent teams keeping in contact over your communicators or you can work as one group, We expect you to make these decisions on the ground once better intel is available to you. We don't know anything about what you are heading into, so we aren't giving you anything other than objectives, how you achieve them is up to you."

Regular
    Watching the strange gaggle take their positions around the room, he pondered further on what could require such a group. He was soon about to find out. Masraik watched as General Train made his way into the briefing room and prepared himself for his address.

There was not much information to absorb. Masraik reached into the side pouch on his leg and ruffled through the items there until he found what he was looking for. He pulled out a small metal case that looked like a single cigar tin. He popped the top off and pulled out a rolled up plastic looking object and began to unroll it. Using this opportunity presented by General Train to browse each other's stats, he began typing on the unfurled plastic. It was really a micro computer on a portable silica based screen that ran on a small GPS satellite signal, useful on the battlefield only if the enemy isn't scanning for satellite links. It was also useful as a database without using the up-link.

After quickly browsing everyones general stats, Masraik sighed to himself. He wasn't overly impressed. He kept browsing their specialties, mission complete statistics, what was available of personal background, and then something caught his eye; history. Each and every one of them had a strange or impressive history in their missions, and definitely had something to offer this group in terms of survivability.

Looking around at everyone as General Train finished up his short briefing, Masraik heard Casper chime in with his questions. <Who's the mission commander? Normally I'd laugh in his face and ask him who else... but with two other Pure Ones here, with much more 'experience' under their belt...> Listening intently to General Train's response he almost twinged. <Well, its not to be unexpected that Azrael would be leader, but he's been frozen so long his big toe may cramp up at a crucial moment!> Masraik sort of laughed to himself. He should not be making fun of his superiors, but the way he's been all cow eyed over that little las next to him, he hope it will not effect the mission.

A mission to The Arc? He wasn't privy to as much information as he'd like, since his handlers still don't trust him. Being unable to be frozen and uncontrollable from the start makes it pretty hard to trust you. <Maybe they fear I'll desert with vital technological knowledge if I ever gain too much information and get tired of this place.> But The Arc? He had only ever heard rumor, and all of it suggested that The Arc was a modern day Atlantis; non existent and full of myths. And seriously, would they risk sending me to gather that knowledge? <I don't know, maybe just being immortal at a young 50 some odd years is making me paranoid>

Masraik wasn't really getting too excited about this mission. With this groups track record, his doubt of The Arc ever really existing, and no information about a better geared offensive there wasn't much to worry about. An on line archaic security system may be a little fun though. Maybe he could glean something from it to tweak his shield.

Instead of blurting out any questions, or attempting to take instant command of the group as was usual, he leaned back and waited. Waited to see what the strange little group thought about the situation, and waited to see what his new mission commander would suggest.

Regular
    Kindle's relaxed aura became all business the moment General Train stepped in the room. Her back straightened, her attention was focused on the General, and the mission description became her only concern.

She had heard rumors of the ARC, but she was never one for history lessons and hadn't researched much on it herself {guess now would be a good time to research it though, along with my fellow teammates}.

Kindle felt her usual wave of dread at the mention of the kill-switch. While she was prepared to die on each mission, she looked around the room realizing unlike the others, she was mortal, and when she died that was it. Her focus never wavered, and she knew that when she walked out of the room she wouldn't fret over this detail, but her human heart knew it had made its point: Preserve Life.

Still, she smiled to herself. Her last modifications included a special kill-switch of her own. Vindictive to the last, Kindle knew that if she had to die, sacrificing her life for the greater good, on enemy lands, so would most of the base she was on die with her, given enough time to let HER overload.

When Azrael was set as the group leader, her mood switched gears to excitement. {Pure Ones are so intelligent and resourceful, and I get the opportunity to prove myself to him !} Now that Kindle knew who her orders would come from, she wouldn't have to obey the others, just work with them. She allowed herself a brief smile, as Masraik would not be her superior this mission {Heh, I wonder if not being in charge bothers him?}

Kindle plugged herself to a terminal port nearby to download the data. She could review it at her own leisure, but she wanted to do a quick skim of her teammates: Pure Ones, Android, GELF, Cyborg. {Azrael, Abaddon, and Longview are old...wow}. She knew Pure Ones, and subsequently GELFS, had been around for a long time, and she knew that they went cuckoo, but then again, sometimes crazy missions needed leaders that thought outside the box.

She remained sitting at attention, waiting for either General Train or Commander Azrael to either dismiss or announce preparation directions.

Veteran
    General Train went through his speech and the whole time Longview just tried to focus on him instead of Masraik's vibes, the blooming flower of rekindled love to his right, and the anxious energy of Kindle. General Train always was a great level plane of emotion. This time, though, he didn't need to be sensitive to understand something distressed him a little. The Arc explained it nicely. It would catapult the corponations into a level playing field with the protocols, or nearly, and greatly upset the balance between them all.

He let a short quiet groan of the sort that meant "Oh how bloody fabulous," and listened on. Azreal was going to be field GC, no surprises there. Oooh, discomfort, he thought, feeling it from his left where once there was simmering anger. "I have a question," he quickly said, raising his hand. "What exactly is my role? I'm a long range combatant. Am I to be used for detection inside the structure as my predecessor, or to cover the exit?"

Post Fiend
    General train addressed the entire group, as he answered Longview's question. "Each of you is unusual in some way, even more unusual than your average GELF, Cyborg or Android. We don't know what to expect in the arc, we've only ever seen leftover salvage of pre-collapse tech, never well preserved functioning originals. It's impossible to sort myth and legend and fact when it comes to what our pre-collapse ancestors were really capable. So we are sending all of you in in the hopes that we have covered all our bases. Some of you may find that your specialty is not particularly needed, some of you may find yourself too much in demand, all of you are versatile though, and I expect you all to adapt to the situation on your feet."

"For all out sakes I hope this is a lot of disruption over nothing, Hopefully this base is rotted out and useless except for a few scraps, but if it isn't you are all to do everything in your power to save what you can and destroy everything else. Any other questions?"

Regular
    "Yea, I've got a question. Are you sending this small platoon, or are you going to send some soldiers with us? I suppose my main concern is are we going balls to the walls and taking out the base one defensive line at a time, or are we going for a covert operation?" Masraik sits forward in his chair, a bit excited over the lack of information. "I mean honestly, if this corponation has the power to find the Arc, surpass its defenses, reconfigure or at least turn on its defense systems well enough defend against any other imposing factor, then we have a bit more to worry about than some data recovery. We will need a little extra firepower if thats the case. At least, this is all based on the assumption of what I have heard of the Arc 'myths' and our very vague briefing. From what you've told us, this could be a bad information leak from some child cyborg that saw a group of armed men enter some ruins, or it could be the most exciting confrontation to stop the weeds at their roots. Have we even sent out initial surveillance drones or androids to test the waters, or are we going to be that front line of spying? I don't know about the rest of this group's secondary capabilities, but spying isn't exactly my specialty." As if on queue, his chair creaks as it unceremoniously dumps Masraik on the floor, connecting chin to table top.

Post Fiend
    General Train didn't even bat an eye as Marsaik hit the ground. Azrael however stood and walked over, reaching out hand to offer to help Marsaik up. AS he moved, Train gave his answer. You're it. We need to move fast and troop transports take too long. If you can't handle it we don't have enough normal troops to make a difference anyway. You won't exactly be covert once you hit the ground. You have been authorized full armory access, this includes high explosives, and if you deem fit, anti matter bombs. All yields."

WE've been watching them through our satellites, and it seems they've been maintaining a relatively small military presence there. They have their most elite troops and scientists there though, so while the odds will be closer than most of you are used to on your missions, the troops will be better and more than likely much better equipped. As to them being strong enough to find and take the base we aren't sure how that happened. We found out when our satellites detected a massive power surge in North America. Intel was then confirmed through a very reliable source."

"What we think happened is that somehow the NAC found the base, powered down and dormant. Once they found out what they had on their hands the set about covertly preparing the base to go online. They then spent an undetermined amount of time repairing the Generator within the base, and we found out about it all when they powered it all back on. That was 1 week ago. We haven't sent in any drones or any other force in an attempt to maintain the element of surprise. I know we're sending you in on little information, but what we have suggests that this is serious."

"Anything else?"

Regular
    Everyone who had read Kindle's file now knew that she has just over 2 years of mission experience, and she is 19 years old.

Thus, it was most likely not to anyone who knew her's surprise ((not saying that it necessarily didn't not surprise anyone)), when she lost all her composure and laughed straight at Masraik "Hahaha, Mas, I don't think we needed a demonstration of you non-subversion skills". If her eyes were not so technologically modified, she'd have been crying for the laughter. Then quickly looking at General Train, "Pardon, Sir".

Even with her apology, her grin would not leave her face. She may have apologized, but truly she wasn't sorry in the least {I hope that should I live to see 100 years of battles, that a moment like that retains its humor, I would hate to have that heavy of a heart}.

She did manage to retain the presence of mind to look to see everyone else's reactions to Masraik. {I wonder who is thinking about his reliability for the mission and who is simply thinking that was too damn funny}

Regular
    Sitting on the floor, flustered and embarrassed, Masraik listened to Kindle's laughter and the subsequent description of what they knew about the base. They were the main line of surveillance, impromptu stealth infiltration, and counter offensive combatants. It sounded just like the perfect mission to get him out of his cramped space mood.

Masraik reached up for the table to lift himself up and grabbed hold of something softer. He looked up to see Azrael offering a hand to help him up, and gladly took it. <Good thing he was there, I probably would have flung this damn table across the room> Lifting himself up with a little help from Azrael, he picked up his chair, and gingerly sat back into it, in the correct position this time. Once seated, he gave Kindle a twisted grin that said <Just you wait girly!>

"No sir, no more. I believe I have everything I need to know."

Regular
    'The Arc? This is too good to be true.' Was all he could think as the General finished his speech and say. 'This chance to see pre-collapse tech is pretty interesting.' He thought as he turned to look at each person that had questions, then faced the General as he answered them.

He watched silently, soaking everything in while mentally preparing. He did so only to keep focused, he was mostly a relaxed and laid-back individual on the mission not allowing himself to be overcome by anything and just rolling with the punches. Sometimes those punches happened to be grenades but he still rolled...or tried to roll with them. Grinning at his own thought process, it seemed timed with Masraik's demonstration of skill at sitting. However, he didn't even notice that particular incident as his eyes searched the room's participants out, taking mental notes on each one's appearance. 'Bio's are interesting' He thought as he used the terminal to flip through everyone's and see what kind of team they had going here.

Making a quick hand raise then dropping it, just to get the General's attention. "Sir? What's the eta of departure?" It really was the only question buzzing around his head. Everything else would have to be answered on the field.

Veteran
    Quantas grinned on the corner of his mouth at Masraik's little spill but continued to listen to Train as persistently as possible. Only then, when Masraik said he had no more questions, did he glance through the dossiers with a hasty eye. Nineteen, eh? That explains it, heh. Next he popped through Masraik and the others a little, the android perked his interest a little, but learning that Masraik was a new pool and he was the first generation, it explained a little. A bright burning candle. He'd try to be a little less judgemental based on that he wouldn't have forever to work on his flaws. Especially with his negative disposition being so powerful. Azreal and Abbaddon were fairly unchanged. However, the protocols decided to add a derivative of her pool to the mix. Thankfully he didn't have that sort of weird background feeling that she did. That's been rather unique to her, so far.

I've seen Masraik's kind before, he thought, I need to show him that a second generation GELF is as useful and potent as a Pure One can be. Otherwise he'll cause a rift. He needs to learn how to spell team correctly. Longview's lip curled on the corner again with a grin. Now, I definitely should honor his request to mind Kindle's incredible bounciness. It's a force to be reckoned with on it's own. Surprising how much weaponry is packed into such a small frame though. The Prot's have outdone themselves this time around.

He glanced around a bit, looking at his comrades and Train. A good crew, Quantas finally thought. "We'll be alright," he whispered. "I know it already."

Abaddon just sat through the briefing, listening with her eyes half-closed. She knew that she could look up bios and the like before the mission, for she was sure that her rookie scientists would want to make sure that she was functioning up to par with her last tests. Her eyes caught the cocky younger GELF falling out of his chair, and it took a few moments for Apollyon to realize what she was laughing internally at. <What? Is that all? Puh-lease, Abaddon. Your standards for humor have severely dropped from the last time we were awake.>

Abaddon sighed, and said to her other self, <Well, *you* didn't see it. It was really funny how his actions accented his point.> Apollyon felt extremely annoyed as Abaddon showed her the memory. It got a snicker from the second self.

<OK, you're right. That was amusing. But it didn't warrant how amused you were.> She glowered inside their mind, giving Abaddon the feeling that she wanted to cross their arms. <Now pay attention. Ask if we can have some time to stretch our muscles with our new...comrades.> She said the words with nearly a sneer. <I want some time in the sims an physical practice rooms. You know, to stretch *my* limbs.>

Abaddon nodded mentally, then said, "I have one question, Sir. Will we have enough time to run a sim in the practice rooms...or, whatever you call them now, with the team so that we can have some experience with one another before the actual mission to try to raise the success percentage of our mission. That, and I believe that I would be better able to serve the team if I had a chance to work in combat once before this mission is to take place."
    Last edited by Mireldeyn; 17-03-2009 at 04:02.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my....LASER!!
    ~Some random deviation that my brother showed me one day, once upon a time...lol

Post Fiend
    ooc: Matt, ETA stands for Estimated time of Arrival, so... the ETA of departure is a little... off, I lol'ed a little.

IC:
    Train looked them all over and said "You'll have about 5 hours while the transport is fueled and checked over. You're flight will be about 4 hours so you'll have a little time to recoup, but if you train in a sim, you better have maximum safety's on, cause we don't have time to heal anything but minor minor wounds and I want you all in tip top shape. I'm not denying access to the sims, but I am highly reccomending that you do not risk getting yourselves hurt."

"If that is all?"

Azrael, having helped the heavy Marsaik back up nodded to him, turned and said "No Sir. I believe we are good to go."

Train looked at Azrael for a long moment and then nodded "Good. May the Angels prevail. Ashes to ashes."

"Dust to dust." Azrael echoed in the almost ceremonial ending to any briefing. As Train exited he turned to the group and said "Alright everyone, I think we need to run at least a light sim to get ourselves into some semblance of shape, and then some rest if possible. You do not have to join me, but I think it would be best if you do. I'll be loading up in Sim room two, green level in ten minutes for those who care to join me. Dismissed."

With that he turned to leave, heading towards the door leading to the lift, as he approached the door it clicked open, and the buzz of the security field shut off.

"Coming?" He said over his shoulder to Abbadon, as he continued his way to the lift.

OOC: Haha...I forgot how much I had to think while playing her...I keep forgetting the plurals when talking about their body and their clothing and whatnot...haha. *headdesk*

IC:

Apollyon was irked and somewhat appalled that Train would even consider Abaddon getting hurt in a mere sim...it wasn't like they were rookies, they could go up against men and machines armed with plasma rifles and other more advanced technology with only their Asterael, and not even receive a scratch on their leather knee pads from the gravel and debris that was always littering the ground.

"Dust to dust," Abaddon replied, reveling in the calmness that spread through her despite the anger that Apollyon was feeling. The mission was set. They would go out again for the first time in...well, too many years for her to even count.

As Azra dismissed them, she came up to him as he was leaving and said, "Does it have to be the second sim room?? That one feels...small. I know that it is one of the larger rooms, but..." she sighed. "I might be thawed more often than you, but you get to go out more often. This is the first time in a long while that I'm feeling...nervous about a mission. I have only been in the sim rooms by myself for a while..." She hesitated, wondering if telling him her fears would strengthen or hurt the team, and her chanced of participating in the real body of the mission.

"I fear that, because I haven't worked with a unit or team in so long, that my skills will be impaired for compensating for my other allies on the field. I am afraid that, once my Killer side takes effect and my genetic programming takes over, that I will hurt someone...even you, Azra." She couldn't look him in the face as her voice dropped and she felt sorrow overtake her. Apollyon was angry, as was usual for her, at Abaddon's emotional state.

<What the HELL are you doing, Abaddon! He has the powers to refuse you the mission if he feels that you aren't stable enough to take it on! I want to go outside, even if you don't, so I would NEVER hurt another member of our squad. You know that. What is it that you really fear?>

There was a pause, then she said, <That we won't do our mission correctly, that our mental instability will be discovered-> Apollyon shuddered at that mentally-<that we will fail because, in battle, I won't be able to control this body that we both inhabit, and that I will fade into nothingness as you gain control. That Azra will notice how you do not feel the same way for him that I do...and that we will be forever locked away, to never be reawakened or used on the battlefield again. That is what I fear, sister-of-the-mind. And you would do well to heed what I fear, for it will effect you in the long run as well.>

Apollyon was silent the rest of the way to the Sims.
    Last edited by Mireldeyn; 17-03-2009 at 04:44.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my....LASER!!
    ~Some random deviation that my brother showed me one day, once upon a time...lol

Thread Information