Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragonwars: Flames of War OOC

Post Fiend

Dragonwars: Flames of War OOC

Alright Boys and Girls, I have my High Sci Fi thread running, time for some High Fantasy. Its an oldy but a Goldy (pardon the pun).

Intro Material:

The world is in flames. For countless millenia a general peace has ruled in the land of the Dragons. Each Brood kept to its own, and when insult or dispute became to heated, the great arbiters, the Sky Brood were called in to help. Always the rulings of the Sky brood were found to be wise and impartial. Guided by this, and the strict code of honor and proper behavior amongst dragons, the broods thrived and peace and prosperity held. Then came the rise of Pyrothraxus. He was a young dragon, raised to the rule of the warlike Blood-Flame brood under tragic and mysterious circumstances.

Pyrothraxus chafed under what he came to call the "Rule" of the Sky brood. He urged his allies to abandon the current methods of settling disputes, calling it "bending knee" to the Sky brood, saying that any true dragon settles disputes with Tooth and Claw, Flame and Blood. He began gathering a coalition of allies who followed his mindset, abandoning the way of peace for the archaic ways that had once nearly doomed the Draconic species.

The Sky brood tried its best to calm the faction, to bring them back to the ways that had for so long, aided the Broods to keep from tearing each other apart. Pyrothraxus rejected these overtures, calling them nothing but the weakened and exposed Sky Brood's attempts to regain power. The Sky Brood held no true power, only the wisdom of its decisions had ever made dragons follow them, but yet the murmurs spread throughout draconic society, murmurs that maybe, Pyrothraxus was right. Until it came to be that while many of the Sky brood's longest allies stayed firm, most had left them, claiming neutrality, if not alliance with Pyrothraxus.

Finally in a last bid to regain peace the Sky brood called one last time for a Parley. Surprisingly Pyrothraxus accepted, even offering to meet them in their own brood hold, to ease their minds. It was of course all a trap. Pyrothraxus came with his designated party of Dragons. While they parlied under flag of truce though another force came, flying under cover of night, they struck without warning, and overran the defenses of the Sky Brood hold, formidable though they were. The brood hold halls were washed with blood and seared with flame. The great leader of the Sky brood was struck down by Pyrothraxus and his guards, though it cost Pyrothraxus his Right eye.

Perhaps most heinous of all they even destroyed the hatchery, crushing the eggs and burning the nests. In the end the Sky brood was completely wiped out except for one lone survivor. Khellendros. The heir to the Sky Broods leadership. He alone escaped, and raising the hew and cry gathered together the shocked and outraged allies of the Sky brood to come to war.

The battle raged for two thousand years. And slowly the power of Pyrothraxus's absolute command of his allies overcame the consensus command of the Resistance. They fought bravely, but too many broods stood by, only to be picked off or subverted by the blood Flame clan. It is now the final days of the Resistance, fighting against the Tyranny of the Blood Flame clan. Khellendros fights as a free lancer, going from fight to fight, finding allies and helping where he can. A change is coming though, a Pivot point in the war. He senses it, he's worked for two thousand years to bring it about.

It is time.

Post Fiend
    Information on The world and PC:

The world is pretty free form. The only real intelligent life on the planet of any note (to the dragons at least) are dragons. While their are some bands of roving humans and other humanoids, they are fairly rare and verging on extinction in some cases due to the ferocity of the dragonwars. So, while they may crop up, for the most part non dragons are to be ignored.

Player characters are to be dragons. They can be of whatever brood you want, Except for the Blood Flame or Sky Brood. Get creative. Each Brood has distinctive coloration, characteristics, and perhaps most importantly, a unique breath weapon. Each brood has its own breath weapon that is its own defineing trait. The blood flame clan has a magma breath which overcomes dragons normal resistance to fire, they are also extra resistant to heat and flame compared to normal dragons. Sky brood has lightning. So, both of those are taken.

All dragons can breath fire and fly. They are also effectively immortal, they live until they are either slain or they decide to "move on" As they age they grow, making a dragons size an effective guide to its age, at least within a brood. However as PC's we will be playing dragons of no more than 5000 years of age. Please don't ask to be older.

alright... I think that's general stuff... here's the char sheet:

Name:

Brood:

Coloration/appearance:

Breath Weapon:

Characteristics:

Bio:

Post Fiend
    Edited to Serinn :)

Name: Serinn
    Brood: Winter Brood
    Coloration/appearance: Serinn is smaller than most dragons, but she surpasses most dragons with her incredible speed. She has long sharp blending white fangs and claws, and her eyes are cold blue as ice. Her scales are snow-white reflecting the sun like ice on a winter-lake. She has a wide wing-span and on the tip of her wings and tail the scales turns into a deep blue shade.

Breath Weapon: FrostBite - A ice-cold bite that has the ability to freeze the target. It spreads quickly through the veins if one is pierced during the bite. Thus the cold will spread quickly through the target, literally freezing him from the inside and out. However, if the bite is light and doesn't pierce a vein or artery, the cold will only spread on the surface.

Characteristics: Winter brood - This brood could be considered to be rather cold, hard and calculating towards the other broods. They seem to only care for their own brood, but in truth the Winter brood believes that trust is something that has to be earned. And this takes time. Although once the trust have been earned they value the dragons highly and would do anything to prevent them from any harm.

The Winter Brood is in general smaller in size than other much larger Broods such as the Sky Brood. But what they lack in size they gain in speed. They can outfly most dragons. Due to their thick and unusual scales, compared with most Broods, the Winter Brood are very resiliant against cold, which is very suitable in the white northen areas, but whenever they travel south they become very uncomfortable, and in some cases ill. Also, since many brood seldom travel to the cold north, it pretty much leaves the northen broods, led under the Winter Brood, in solitude. But even that solitude couldn't keep the war at bay.

Before the war the Winter Brood had their residence in the cold north, under the leadership of Querindan, which was later passed upon Serinn, his daughter, upon his early disappearance in the beginning of the war.

Bio: Serinn is the daugher of the leader of her brood. She is one of the few of her brood that is still living in freedom, as well as in hiding. The others have all been killed or captured by Pyrothraxus and his brood. During the last 1000 years Serinn has lived on her own, travelling back and forth over the land, hiding, searching for othersurvivers of the Winter brood.
    Last edited by SoHee; 25-03-2009 at 06:38.

Post Fiend
    My Char:

Name: Khellendros

Brood: Sky

Coloration/Appearance: Khellendros follows the normal patterns of his brood, a Sky to light blue underbelly that blends quite well into the sky from below, and a brilliant saphire blue on the harder scales covering his back, the top of his head, and the tops of his wings and tail. He is meticulously clean if he can manage it. His wingspan is almost twice that of a dragon of similar size, and his tail is flattened at the end, fanning out into multiple barbed flails that serve as a rudder in the air, and as a deadly weapon in combat.

His belongs to one of the many groups of "great" dragons, the largest of dragon's growing the quickest and the largest of all the broods. His size is about average for a dragon of his age, being several hundred feet from head to tail, with a massive wingspan capable of lifting his giant body into the air.

Breath Weapon: Like all sky brood dragon's Khellendros is able to create a massive electircal charge and expel it in the form of a lightning bolt. The strength and size of these bolts is dependent upon how long he lets them charge and upon weather conditions. He is also naturally resistant to electical magic and to natural lightning.

Characteristics/Bio: Khellendros has been hardened by years of war, though he still strives towards the enlightened principals of his brood. They were ever scholars and men of peace. He spent long years studying their arts before his broods destruction, and continued to study after his families death, though his studies took a different direction. His study of the magical arts turned to offensive and defensive magics, rather than those traditionally sought by the Sky brood, magicks that would help elucidate the world around them. He is a powerful mage and a warrior of some skill, but perhaps his greatest ability is his ability to inspire others to fight.

He has spent 2 millenium fighting the Blood Flame brood with every ounce of his being. He has killed, and nearly been slain in turn. His hatred of Pyrothraxus is matched only by the sorrow for his lost family. He has spent decades searching for a way to turn the war around, he thinks he has finally found it. It is time to call his allies to War.

Regular
    Name: Ragnarok

Brood: Death Brood

Coloration/appearance: Pure jet black scales cover these dragons from head to toe. Making them essentially more deadly during the night. Their eyes are a bright green that pierce the sky as they soar. Ragnarok is slightly above average for his brood, larger than your average dragon.

Breath Weapon: Intensities of light, anything from a flare like effect to temporarily blind to a laser like effect of intense burning.

Characteristics: The Death Brood is revered as the most fearsome fighters next to the Blood-Flame brood. They are raised from birth in an extremely harsh environment, having to fight for virtually everything from every meal to sleeping spots. This occurs everyday, leaving the ones that live long enough in the Death Brood to be very expert fighters in close quarters combat. Their ability to control light in their breath weapon has given them a wider range of vision, allowing them to see up from pitch black to really bright conditions easily. They also have a higher resistance to burning effects or heat conditions.

Bio: Ragnarok lived toughly throughout his existence. Being tested almost every moment of every day by some other member of his brood trying to best him somehow. This has given him a high tolerance for pain as he's been through an extremely large amount of fights, winning majority. He is a highly respected dragon in his brood for living as long as he has, as well as defeating as many dragons as he has.

He wished to join the war, but as far as his effort went was killing off small groups of the Blood-Flame brood that made the mistake of trying to attack his brood. He's killed many of them to date, but as for joining the frontlines the elders of his brood forbid it. He fought to try to get his way seen by others, but the few that shared the idea with him, himself included, lost the fight against the elders and were 'proved' wrong in this manner. He could leave at anytime if he so wished, but he's needed currently by the rest of his brood.

ooc: changed breath weapon and characteristics to match it.
    Last edited by Matthias3690; 01-04-2009 at 03:12.

Regular
    Name: Agadea

Brood: Slumber Brood

Coloration/appearance: Bronze scales on bottom, sandy coloured scales on top. Agadea's wingspan was equal to his length from head to tail, about a hundred feet. From his torso, two long sleek necks connect to two flat, smaller heads that think and speak as one. Agadea's tail ends in a point accented by four spikes, two to either side. Like most of the brood, Agadea has yellow eyes with violet specks.

Breath Weapon: Slumber Dragons exude a cloud of gas from their mouths that cause other dragons to become very weary and fall asleep. The effects depend on the strength of the slumber dragon and the victim. Generally speaking, if the two dragons are evenly matched then the effect of the sleeping gas would cause the other to drift into a deep sleep lasting approx. half an hour.

Characteristics: The Slumber Brood dwell in the sand dunes in the far eastern deserts. Small compared to the rest of their dragon brethren, with the possible exception of the Winter Brood, the Slumber brood were not born fighters. Being semi-nomadic and docile, Rather then meet the enemy in combat the Slumber brood would instead hide in the dunes and ambush their enemies. Once their enemy was asleep, the brood would move on to another area of the vast desert and continue to live in peace.

Bio: One of the last broods to clash with Pyrothraxus's brood, the Slumber brood have rarely had the unenjoyable pleasure of facing Pyrothraxus himself. Subject to several raids from Pyrothraxus's brood however, the Slumber brood knew that with this enemy there would be no hiding. Under the leadership of Carcamish, eldest of the Slumber brood, the brood Chose to align with the allies of the fallen Sky brood.

Born 2200 years into the conflict, Agadea has never known the peace the other members of the brood has and thus has a bit more of an edge to his personality then the others. Slightly smaller then the average Slumber Dragon, Agadea has leaned that cunning mixed with agility was his best ally. His most recent expedition had taken him North to the borders of the Winter brood, joining forces with their white brothers to turn back a force of the Bloodflame brood...(Not sure if Sorih was there, that's your call SoHee)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope that char sheet is fine for all parties involved...
    Last edited by Darlok; 30-03-2009 at 04:52.

Post Fiend
    If GE accepts my char, then Darlok that is just fine :) And if they were to be joining forces Sorih was probably there...

GE - I take it this is approx 2000 years after the first thread with Khellendros?

*digs up old sheet*

I dont' know what I'll have to change on here, or if anything NEEDS changing...I think her bio still fits wit the story line that you have up so far....

Name: LaRire

Color: Sky-blue nearest to her body...then it gradually fades into a deep, deep red...magenta on her tail.

Breath weapon: An acid mist that mostly eats at metal, rock, and Dragon scales.

Description: LaRire is small for a dragon of her age, but everyone who knows her knows not to mess with her 115 foot mass of muscle and bone, with a wingspan of 200 ft. She came from an area between barren land and swamp, hence the acid breath. When she takes wing over the barren lands, she appears as an outsider with her sky blue scaled near her body and her sky-blue head, belly, and underneath her tail. The deep red shimmers in the sun, when it shines where she lives, and the blue can appear like diamonds at night.

Bio: As I said before, LaRire lives in a place between the barren lands and a swamp. When she was young, she never knew her father, but her mother had come from the Barren lands. She hates Pyro (if he is still alive in this thread) with a passion, for he, or some of his forces, she didn't know which, had killed her mother when she tried to resist. For the years she has been searching for others whom feel the same way that she does, and whose beliefs do not counter her own...

Beliefs: Freedom should be a part of every creature's life, and so would revenge of a family member that was killed unjustly. Honor and pride should also be a part of the lives of others, so they realize just how unjust Pyro is.

Brood: LaRire Belongs to the Iratus Brood, which feels that loved ones should be revenged, and that it should be done with complete honor and pride...or, at least, as much honor and pride that can be sacrificed.
    Last edited by Mireldeyn; 10-04-2009 at 13:55.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my....LASER!!
    ~Some random deviation that my brother showed me one day, once upon a time...lol

Post Fiend
    Ah, for my DW vets, this is a retelling of the original story, The first one was started at about this point, I later did a prequel (While this story would post date the prequel by about 2k years, the prequel will be considered as non-canon for this iteration). This is an attempt to retell and make it through the original storylines I had planned, we only made it through chapter one and about half through chapter two last time. I have six chapters planned. So... any characters are fine.

Darlok, your char would have had to have been born about 200 years BEFORE the conflict openly started, as it is your char would be about -200 years old the you have things stated. Otherwise you're good.

Mir: Approved

Matt: Approved

Matt and Mir: You have the same breath weapon, sort it out as to who gets the acid. Mir has seniority as LaRire is a member of the original thread (yeah yeah I know this is a retelling but still)

Sohee: Approved, and still approved if you want to make it Serinn instead since continuety/timescale isn't an issue

Regular
    Eh, if you think that this thread will be more active and popular I'll join it GE, but ya know i'll be slack on posts. Get back to me and let me know what you think will happen with this thread.

Regular
    Alright, change the age to ~2000 years. Agadea was born about the same time the conflict began...

Post Fiend
    More active than what? AP? Please join if you want Mas, but don't quite one to join another.

Thank you Dar.

Post Fiend
    Oh ok, Edited my char sheet with Serinn's info...

Gah!! I missed that somehow...

Matt: So, what do you want to do?
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my....LASER!!
    ~Some random deviation that my brother showed me one day, once upon a time...lol

I actually had a thread idea very similiar to this one Golden, but with a bit more structure as far as types of dragons go. I guess here they are as numerous as humans are in our world.

Name: Valstaaz

Brood: Zephyrim

Coloration/appearance: Silver-white scales cover their bodies, while the hide that makes up their wings turns a shade of purple or blue (Valstaaz is purple), getting darker as it reaches the tip. They have vastly superior claws from other dragon broods and have developed a vicious set of tail spikes which vary from clusters of spines, to a fan of blades. Valstaaz has a four-sided blade cluster (like a mace).

Breath Weapon: They developed a peculiar adaptation to thier normal fire breath. Calling it Iceflame, they fire jets of blue fire which do not burn. Instead, it flash-freezes whatever is hit. The sensation is similiar to burning, but any resistances to fire are altogether ignored.

Characteristics: The Zephyrim did not start as a brood of thier own, but are insead the children of a forbidden joining of two seperate broods. The dragon who made them have since been killed by their respective broods, but thier children escaped. As such, none of the Zephyrim are very old, in dragon terms, and are viewed as outcasts or blasphemys by others. From their mother, they inherited the ability to dive and "fly" under water, as well as an increased lung capacity, though they have to surface to breath. From thier father, they inherited vicious natural defenses (claws, tail spikes, ridges along thier spines, etc). Thier unique breath is a product of the combination of thier father and mothers.

Zephyrim live and feed in the bountiful ocean. They cannot sleep or birth under water, however, and make their nests on the coastal cliffs. They are extremely aggressive and protective of their own. If a dragon from another brood gets too close to their eggs, they will strike, often without warning.

Bio: Valstaaz is just shy of two thousand years, but still he is among the oldest of his brood, and thus among the largest. He is not the alpha, however, and respects the dragon who holds that position greatly. Up until the Sky Brood was destroyed, the Zephyrim stayed out of the affairs of the other broods. They weren't accepted in most places and chose to isolate themselves. When the Flame Brood began its campaign againt the Sky and thier allys, the Zephyrim made a shaky truce with the rebels, promising to neither harm nor help. The Flame Brood viewed this as an alliegance, however, and struck at the Zephyrim.

Valstaaz led the defensive counterattacks and inflicted heavy losses on the Flame Brood with thier Iceflame, an ability which was previously unknown, and the ferocity of thier contact fighting. Valstaaz made a name for himself among his brood, and they respected him for it. The battle cost the Zephyrim their neutrality, but gained them some degree of acceptance among the rebel broods.
    Last edited by Shari Tana; 25-03-2009 at 20:36.
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Thread Information