Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragonwars: Flames of War IC

Post Fiend

Dragonwars: Flames of War IC

Khellendros exited the Chamber of the Sky. He was shaken by the things he had seen, but he knew the course to follow. Already some of the visions were fading, the knowledge disappearing from his mind like dew evaporating in the morning sun. His sense of purpose though did not diminish. As the giant stone doors closed with a resounding boom behind him he was tempted, momentarily, to return to the chamber, to seek further knowledge. He went so far as to look over his shoulder, His long regal neck bending with a soft hiss of scale on scale. He regarded the doors, scarred by claw marks, scorched with soot, and melted ever so slightly in places. These were the only doors he had left as they were, unwilling to remove this last reminder of the abomination that had occurred here some 2000 years ago.

He thought for a long moment, about whether to return to the chamber, but finally he fought down the temptation, knowing that more than one member of the Sky brood, had lost their life starving in search of the knowledge held within that chamber. Turning forward he moved through the deep tunnels of the High mountain lair which was the ancestral home of the Sky Brood. Now it was the lair of the last of the Sky Brood. He had restored almost all of it to its prior grandeur, defending it, warding it, and masking it with arcane magics to rival the greatest of those cast by any of his predecessors.

If the Flame brood ever returned here, they would discover only death. As he had so long ago. He continued through the vaulted Grand chamber, moving through the heart of the mountain, and heading up to one of the secondary entrances. Finally he found the entrance he sought, with a mighty thrust he flung himself into the air, allowing himself to plummet for a short time. he enjoyed the sensation of the high cold air whipping over his body, clearing his mind.

With a thunderous boom he flared his wings short of the ground, feeling the stretch and strain of the incredibly strong membrane against the air. He curved upward, on his own momentum and began to flap. Something so large would surely be ponderous in the air, but no, he was more at home in the air than on the land, this was his domain. Only here was he close to being happy. He felt the weather around him, and reached out with his arcane senses, tweaking it so that it would become what he needed it to be.

THe clouds began forming almost immediately, a slight drop in temperature causing them to coalesce out of seeming nothingness. The updrafts from below stacked them, stretching them out. He felt the gradient building, the energy he needed to call those he had marked over the years. The rain began pelting him. He reveled in the cold wet sensation, the pull of his wings against the water. The wild power building above him. He had spent the last 2000 years fighting the tyranny of the Blood Flame Brood. Over the course of his travels he had met many whom he deemed truly worthy of the cause for one reason or another. Sometimes he had been told by the chamber of the Sky to mark one or another. But each knew him, and each would hear his call. Whether they would respond, whether they wold agree to what must be, that was up to them.

The power was building. It was almost time. He positioned himself, beginning to build his own power up, stoking it, feeling the electric sizzle within his throat, the burning mettallic taste of his power. Finally he could hold it no longer, and the clouds above him buzzed with their own energetic power. He felt the trace of where it would go, sensing it as others could see the flow of water through a river. Positioned in the middle of the flow he let loose to the sky, with an explosive resounding Roar and a flare that turned the darkened nightime sky to blindingly bright day for an impossible long second a bolt of lightning split the sky, arcing from the clouds high above to the Saphire Blue form hanging in the air, seemingly suspended by the Solid bar of light and energy arcing from the clouds to it, and from it, to the cave mouth where he had emerged earlier.

In the aftermath of the massive bolt, the smell of Ozone hung heavy, the air felt strange, as though it had been altered. And it Had. He flew slowly back to the lair, wearied briefly by the massive energy he had just put out. Already it had begun regenerating, but he would not be able to use his breath weapon for a few hours after such an expansive use of it, and he would be unable to recreate that feat for a few days. His purpose though was accomplished. Those he had marked would hear the thunder and smell the ozone. They would know what it meant, and would be able to follow the smell back to the lair. Those that wished to.

He returned to his lair, and settled in to rest, and to wait.

The Song of the Sea. The low, mournful howls of gigantic sea whales hundreds of feet below the surface resonated up to the ears of creatures above it. Valstaaz was gliding through the water; his legs pressed close against his sides, and his tail waving like a pendulum, acting as a rudder. His large, graceful wings retracted and expanded, providing thrust though the cool ocean water. Beating his wings faster, the Zephyrim battlemaster gained speed quickly. The water above him began to ripple as the force of his movement caused a wake across the surface. Faster and faster, Valstaaz streaked through the water like a torpedo until finally, a sublt change in his tail and a swift thrust of his wings sent him bursting from the water and into the warm sunlight.

Cherishing the rush of the cool water evaporating from his scales, Valstaaz glided over the ocean, watching his breathren still below the surface. Looking east, he gazed over the cliffside nests where the females kept a dutiful watch over ther eggs. Drilled into the cliffside, a large hollow cave stood out as a place of importance. It was the Lair of the Zephyrim brood leader. The cave stretched under the surface of the earth for miles; the large entrance ahead only a small fraction of the total. Deep inside, the Zephyrim took refuge from assaults, increasingly often, from the Blood Flame and thier allies.

Viewed as outcasts, even among most of thier allies, the Zephyrim weathered this storm like any other. The potency of the Iceflame mixed with thier sheer will to survive made the Zephyrim among the most battlescarred of all the broods, though most of thier conflicts were from self defense. Valstaaz had his fair share of scars, but none so serious as to leave him incapable of continuing the fight.

This day was a rare treat for the Zephyrim. No attacks in weeks, and a new flight of fledglings were learning to fly above the ocean and below it. Most were still dark purples and blues, their white scales not formed yet. Sadly, no Zephyrim has lived long enough to become fully white, but thier alpha was well on his way with only a few feet of pink left from his deep magenta birth. Valstaaz turned towards the Lair, gaining speed to lapse the several miles between him and it.

Along the way, something drew his attention northward, far beyond the cliffs, and outside of Zephyrim territory. Inhaling deeply, Valstaaz could pick up on a definate change in the air, but it didntl leave him feeling threatened or suspicious. Instead, it seemed to be drawing him towards it. As if he were meant to follow to the source. Dropping below the cliffline, Valstaaz soared into the Lair and landed in the wide entryway. Navigating the familiar tunnels, he was soon in the Alpha chamber, standing before his leader.

"Quetzal," Valstaaz bowed his head as the large elder dragon turned to him.

"Yes, Valstaaz?" He spoke in a voice worthy of a leader. He was very close to thier brood father in his appearance and demeanor.

"Something draws me West. A subtle change in the wind. I believe it is coming from the Sky Brood Lair."

"Khellendros?"

"Possibly, but none of the others seemed to notice the change."

"You should go, but do not let your guard down. The Blood Flame conquered that keep once, and may very will have done so again."

"I will be careful. If I sense anything amiss, I will return immediately."

"Be well, Valstaaz, life and clan."

"Life and clan."

Valstaaz took a seperate tunnel out of the Lair to an entrance emptying in the hill country to the north of the cove he called home. With a few powerful beats of his wing, he was airbourne and after another few minutes, he was soaring about a hundred feet in the sky, riding the winds to the Sky Brood mountain.
    Last edited by Shari Tana; 01-04-2009 at 06:55.
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Regular
    Agadea scanned the immediate area in search for any more threats as the remainder of his party gathered around. The few remaining members of the flame brood still alive lay sleeping on the ground, as if oblivious to the battle they had been engaged in only moments earlier. A slight shiver ran through the slumber dragon's body echoing down to it's tail. Used to the hot deserts of the far east, Agadea was not used to the harsher weathers of the North. However, When word had reached Carcamish of a large flame brood raiding party heading north he had immediately sent a party of his own to aid their Winter Brood allies and Agadea was chosen to lead them.

By the time the party reached the border of White Broods territory, the Whites were already in mid battle with the flames. With the slumber dragons joining in the fray from the rear, the flame dragons soon found themselves outnumbered and outmatched. Calling for a retreat, the remanent of the flame brood flew off towards their homeland licking their wounds and spiitting crys of vengeance. The battle was won, but at a heavy cost. More then one third of Agadea's party lay dead or mortally wounded on the battlefield floor. An equal number of white dragons also lay where they had plummeted from the sky.

Agadea glanced from his perch over the battlefield to where the remaining whites gathered around their leader and champion. Serinn. It was the first time Agadea had gotten a chance to see the White Dragon in combat, and was easy to see why the flame brood seemed to fear her. Her speed was mesmerizing, the way she was here one second and there the next, raining down bolts of the deadly frostbite on her enemies. Now she stood poised amoungst her clan, speaking words which he could not hear, yet sensed the motivation aroused in the others.

Amongst his own clan, Agadea was looked up to in much the same way. Although smaller even for a Slumber Dragon, Agadea had a talent for speech to motivate and encourage. Matched with a strong magical ability, Agadea had been the perfect choice...or so Carcamish had told him when naming him leader of the brood members in battle. That had seemed like centuries ago, not the mere decade it had been. In that short decade, Agadea had participated in many sucessful campaigns against the tyranical Pyrothraxus's flame brood. Unfortunately, there had also been a few unsuccessful capaigns too.

Agadea's eyes grew unfocused as his heads swayed to and fro, sniffing the air. Something...changed. There was an unsettling scent that was foreign and yet familiar. And that flash of light...

Gaze refocused on his immediate surroundings, Agadea singled out an older dragon, one who would not question orders and command respect in his absence. "You must lead the others home. Tell Carcamish I have been...called...by a mutual friend. He will know who I refer to."

The other dragon nodded his heads in unison. "As you wish, Agadea. Fear not, we will make it home. Take care of yourself."

The flight seen to, Agadea flapped his wings and was lifted in the air. Scanning his surroundings, sniffing out the direction of the scent, Agadea was surpirsed to see the mighty Serinn also preparing to leave her brood. Rather the wait to see if the white dragon had recieved the same call, Agadea headed in the direction of the scent and the flash of light. There was only one 'friend' who could call in such a fashion. One with enormous power and strength. One who was a dragon descending from an ancient and almost extinct brood. One who was presently the last remaining Sky Dragon...

Khellendros.

((OOC: Hope I didn't step on your toes too much SoHee. You had mentioned in the OOC thread that Serinn would be present at Agadea's last battle, which is when I had the call going out. If you had other plans, then skip over any references to Serinn and we'll say that she wasn't present at the battle.))

Post Fiend

Serinn - Winter Brood

OOC: No that's fine, but let me alter some minor things... :)

IC: Serinn landed on the snow covered ground, exhausted but alive. The Flame Brood had attacked during the night, knowing very well that they would be more difficult to spot, because in daylight their read colour shone brightly in the white landscape. Luckily their sentinels had spotted them just in time to alert them.

The Winter Brood hadn't occupied their usual caves in several hundred years, so how exactly they had found out about the meeting was unclear. Perhaps they had a traitor amongst them. She looked around at those that landed nearby her. Most of them were not Winter Brood at all, but from smaller broods, bordering their own territory, the Ghost brood and the Ice crystal brood. The three northern broods had a long history of understanding and trust. The larger Winter Brood had always taken the two smaller broods under its wings, helping them where they could. It was difficult to think that one of them could have betrayed them. They were like family. But who else. No one else had known about the meeting. Some of them were kin, but most of the brood had scattered across the land ever since Querindan, her father and their leader, had disappeared. Some had taken the hatchlings and the eggs to safety and the others had ventured south, following Serinn as she had taken up the mantle to lead their clan forth. After her return to the north she had spent the last decades trying to find them. She had sought through their known hiding places, where she had found some, but most were still missing. Or worse, dead.

She turned her neck and noticed that the Slumber dragons, who couldn't have aided them in a better time, had gathered as well. The two broods had crossed paths during the war, and even if they wouldn't be considered to be close in winter brood terms, they were still allies. If the situation had been the opposite the Winter dragons would have come. She gave their leader a brief nod of ackowledgement before turning her focus back to the group of dragons now assembled before her. There would be time to mourn later, but first she needed to tend to the living.

"You all fought bravely today and we will celebrate the ones that do not stand here with us anymore. I do not know how they found us so quickly," she said outloud with a harsh tone of her voice. "But believe me when I say that I will not rest until I do. Justice will be served!" It was as much of a promise as it was a threat to the guilty.

She was met with a loud roar in unison. They all seemed to agree with passion. The traitor would be found. Found and punished. All she could do now was to hope that it wouldn't turn out to be one of them.

"We all came here for a reason. The last decades we have regrouped, licked our wounds and guarded our younglings and with them our future. But many of us feel that the time is right to return. We must do what we can to secure the future of our broods! We must prevail! And in order to do so we cannot hope to hide forever. It will only stall what will surely come. We must... "

Something, far far away, too far for the eye to see, pulled her attention away. It didn't take long before she felt it. It could not be mistaken. Khellendros called and she knew that he would not have done so lightly. Whatever it was it would be important.

"I must travel south. A friend is calling and I must answer," she explained. "But that does not mean that I will abandon you. Return to your caves, make sure the younglings are safe. Be ready to leave, but leave them well guarded. They are our future! I will send for you when the time is right."

"Should we not follow you?" It was Erian that spoke, a large Winter brood, clear white as the rest of them with his personal colouration, a black streak on his belly and on the tip of his large wings.

"No, old friend. This is something I must do alone," Serinn replied. "Come, walk with me."

He obeyed at once, quickly coming to her side. They walked a bit, away from the others.

"I want you to find out how they could find us so quickly. Someone must have warned them of our whereabouts." Serinn told him. He wanted to object, to come with her. She saw it in his eyes, but he held back. She was the leader of their brood and even if he hated to see her travel south alone he would follow her orders. "Find the leak and plug the hole. See to it that the others are safe while I'm gone and make sure you put your trust in the right dragons. I cannot leave unless I leave them in good strong claws."

"I will do as you say," he replied and even if he didn't say it aloud she knew there was a 'reluctantly' hiding beneath the surface. Erian, always looking out for her, even though she did not need it. Serinn had lived more than half of her life in a time of war. She had to learn the harsh way to look after herself and to lead, ever since her father went missing. They had never found his body, so there was still a thin slice of hope inside her soul that he was still alive somewhere.

They returned to the group after a while and spoke some more before taking farewell of each other. Serinn was the first one to break free of the group. Erian followed her a couple of miles before he fell back and soon was out of sight, returning back to camp with instructions to kill all remaining sleeping flame broods.

Regular
    With a few gentle flaps of his wings Agadea landed at the entrance to the grand entrance of the high mountain lair, once home of the wisest of all broods. Now but a single dragon remained of the Sky brood. And it was said dragon that called Agadea here now. Taking one look at the runes inscribed in Draconic above the entrance, Agadea took a deep breath and disappeared through the entrance.

A short distance from the entrance, the tunnel openned up into a large chamber. This was the invitational chamber. When Agadea had been to the Sky broods lair once before with his king, this was as far as the young dragon had been allowed. Only Carcamish had been invited into the bowels of the Sky Dragons home. The chamber itself was quite large, easily able to hold a good number of dragons. As it was, Agadea was alone. Either this was a solo audience, or the slumber dragon had been the first to arrive. Either way, Agadea would travel no further. His keen ability with magic told him that Khellendros had laced up the lair with all manners of defenses. And Agadea was sure he couldn't sense all of them...

The violet specks in the two pairs of eyes flickered as Agadea reached within himself and grasped his own magic. Mouths open, a trickle of dust wafted forward and was carried down the halls into the farthest reaches of the lair. Harmless, the dust would not set off any alarms but introduce his arrival to any inside. Better let Khellendros come to him here...

Regular
    Ragnarok slept comfortably underneath the dark twisted tree. Perfectly happy in the little marshland that his clan called home. His dreaming was one of the few moments he called peaceful. Of course his version was slightly different than others. He preferred combat, loved the thrill of victory and the stench of his enemies blood staining the ground. He hadn't lost a fight in many many years, which is why many of his clan feared and respected him so greatly. Nobody wished to cross him in his family, but everyone wished to be 'kind' to him. Not fighting with him about everything as often. But still challenging him to prove himself at almost every turn.

Suddenly his eyes had shot open. His dream of fighting a dragon and just about to unleash his breath upon it's head was interrupted. Glancing around, nobody else had noticed the change in smell...the surge of power that was felt by him. Lumbering to his feet slowly, purely from lazyness than lack of coordination. Shaking himself from head to toe, much like a dog but on a much larger scale as the dragon shook the trees around it from doing so. Taking a few steps forward he had gathered a small group of onlookers at his sudden movements which were much earlier than normal.

He shook his head at them "It's time." He spoke as one of the elders were in that group. She nodded. Speaking in an oddly soothing voice for one of this clan. "Do what you must." Is all she said, it was all that needed to be said. The elders were already informed of this to be happening and knew when Ragnarok said it was time...he'd leave. Ragnarok bowed slightly to her, giving her the respect she deserves as he took a bounding leap forward, surging his wings towards the ground to propel him into the air.

Soaring through the air, following this scent like a predator tracking it's prey, he spotted the lair ahead. 'It's been too long since life has filled these parts.' He thought to himself as he circled in the air a few times, lowering himself towards it before gently landing inside. Folding his wings along his body, he took a few steps inside.

"Khellendros." He spoke, his voice slightly deep and brutish. "I've answered your call." Bowing slightly forward giving this dragon some respect as he is the last of his kind and not by luck or chance.

Valstaaz's flight wasn't long. In high skies he could gain a lot of speed by riding thermals and cover the couple hundred miles in about two and a half hours. As he drew closer, he could see the distant shapes of other dragons, each from a different brood, answering Khellendros' call. The closest shape was one barely visable against the clear sky. Valstaaz had to concentrate hard to make out the white-scaled Winter Brood coming from the north. Valstaaz had no reason to distrust the Winter Brood, though he could never fully trust anyone outside his own.

His purple wingtips flared as he altered course to intercept. It took a bit of effort to catch up to her, but Valstaaz could relax once he was next to her, and matched speed. He had never seen a Winter dragon before, as the Zephyrim did not often stray far from thier cove. She was larger than him, likely due to the extra layers of insulation under her scales. He was glad the Winter Brood was an ally. Iceflame would have very little effect on them at all.

It was clear, though, that Valstaaz would have to work with these other dragons. That he would have to gain thier trust, and get them to view him as trustworthy. He could not be an asset to Khellendros if he was an outcast.

"Valstaaz, of the Zephyrim," he introuduced himself, "It's a pleasure." They came upon the Sky Brood mountain landing area; Valstaaz made a smooth, soft touchdown, and folded his wings along his sides. "I wonder what Khellendros has in store for us."
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Post Fiend

Serinn - Winter Brood

Tired from battle Serinn journey south was not that speedful that it could have been had she been well rested. The warmth didn't make it any easier, once she left the winter land. Travelling south was making her uncomfortable and midway she had to stop by a lake. Here she drank and rested for an hour and before she continued towards the Sky brood's lair she threw a spell over herself, one that Khellendros once had taught her, so that the heat wouldn't bother her as much. She couldn't help but to think that if her mother had known perhaps she would have still been alive.

As she was closing in on the lair another dragon caught up with her. From his colouration he looked like a Zephyrim. She had never encountered anyone before, but the colouration was well known to her. Perhaps they had sprung from the same family tree once, after all, they did have similar colouration as well as weapon. Seeing him this close to Khellendros she could only draw the conclusion that he, as her, had been called her. That however, did not make them neither far relatives nor trusted friends.

"Likewise. Serinn, of the Winter Brood," she replied as she landed next to him. "It is not often the Zephyrim are seen outside their homes," she continued, having slightly the wrong intonation for it to sound pleasant.

"Hm, well so do I," she said after a moment of silence between the two. "I suppose we will soon find out."

Post Fiend
    OOC: Well I was trying to wait till everyone or most everyone was here before I posted again... as it seems people are feeling slow this week.

IC:
    Khellendros had been dozing, recovering the last bit of strength he had expended days previous when he was alerted to another's presence in the lair. Moments later he felt the change in the air. Agadea was respecting the sanctity of the keep. That was good. Nimbly climbing to his feet, he began the walk to the reception chamber. The hallways were large, capable of allowing to of even the largest Sky dragons to walk abreast. Sometimes Khellendros still marveled at the magnificence of his home, the mountain itself had been shaped by millenia of Sky brood dragon's magic. It had grown as the brood had grown, and the tunnels within it had not been bored, but instead grown within the mountain by the use of magic. It had taken immeasurable effort to produce the lair, but it had been one of the grandest lairs ever created. It had had to be, for the sake of the purpose it had often served.

He pulled himself out of his reverie though, now was not the time for reminiscence. Enter the invitational chamber he gave a small dip of his head in greeting to Agadea. "Welcome Agadea of the Slumber brood, well met and welcome. My hold is open to you. May you stay in peace." The greeting was ritual, but still sincere. "Thank you for responding, more should come soon. I ask your indulgence in waiting yet for a time."

They waited for a time, passing the time in silence, as they waited for Khellendros was not one for idle chatter, and the things he needed to say, were to be said but once. Soon, another dragon arrived, Ragnorak. He addressed Khellendros, and bowed his head slightly in respect. He repeated the ceremonial greeting to his guest, bowing his head slightly. "Thank you also Ragnorak for responding with such haste. There are still others approaching, may I offer refreshments? I have meat and drink, I know it is not a feast hunt, but time is little, and the risk is high."

She was hunting about the barren grounds that had once been the home to her brood, had once held the celebrations of the Iratus clan for centuries. All that was left of the area after the battle that had decimated her clan was a few twigs of brush that was brave enough to start growing anew, acidic dirt, and sand. Miles and miles of sand. She was sniffing out a deer that had wandered into her territory when her sense of smell became overwhelmed with the scent of ozone and she could hear from the west the sound of thunder. Tired of chasing game anyway, she was delighted that there had been a call, finally, just like her lond dead parents had said that there would be.

"When he calls you," her mother had said, the Brood Leader for centuries of the Iratus brood, "you must answer, dear one. He is an ally, and he has no other kin to rely on. Help him as you would help dragonlings who hatched in the same month as you."

And so, with this thought in mind, she took flight while forgetting the stag that she noticed was a mere 100 yards from where she had been standing, and went to answer Khellendros' call.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

LaRire back-winged to land on what was once a formal landing area, and was now just a flat expanse of talon-scarred stone. She was out of breath, and tried to recover before formally introducing herself to Khellendros for the first time in many, many years.

Once her breathing had at least leveled out, she stretched her wings one last time, then stood at the same spot where--little did she know--Agadea had stood only a short while before. LaRire then struck the Iratus attention pose for those in the Wing Corp, as it was called when the brood had consisted of more than just herself. Her feet stood perfectly square, her long, slender neck arched back with her chin touching the bottom curve of the S that it was shaped like. She tucked her wings tightly, and pushed her griff, the spiny bone-like protrusions that covered her ear holes away from her neck so that they resembled a second set of wings or fins. She stood there, waiting to be granted formal admittance into the main chamber.

~~~

OOC: I'll post her arrival in a short while. I have class, so...yea...

EDIT: That last sentence (well, last as of pre-edit, when she is leaving her territory) was WAAAAAAY to comma-happy. So I have changed it, and added to it. ^_^

Oh, also, as a visual description of the griff, it is the fin-like protrusions on this line art here: http://larire.deviantart.com/art/Lin...attoo-47736143

EDIT 2: Ohh, found better pictures of the griff...:http://larire.deviantart.com/art/Abo...ette-104484473 (if you can see around the skeleton that is vaguely drawn in...
    http://larire.deviantart.com/art/Pea...eance-99231268 (The dragon with her head down)
    Last edited by Mireldeyn; 07-04-2009 at 04:48.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my....LASER!!
    ~Some random deviation that my brother showed me one day, once upon a time...lol

Post Fiend
    OOC: just doing a little fast forward so we can start this thing rolling. Feel free to fill in any details you like.

IC:
    Khellendros welcomed each of his guest's with all of the ceremony and propriety that was demanded of such an occasion. He honored each by name, promised them the safety and hospitality of his hold, and offered them food and drink if the so desired. When he felt the last of the dragon's that had accepted his invitation arrive, he mentally braced himself for what was to come. <So few... just this handful of the hundreds I picked over the past two thousand years. But I knew it would likely turn out like this, many have died, the thread of the connection snapped, others, simply refused to respond, too busy with their own struggles.>

Finally he bowed is head slightly then raised himself to his full impressive size. With the dignity and pride beffitting a clan leader, even one without a clan, he acknowledged each of them in turn, a brief glance a slight nod, finally he began. "Thank you, all of you, for responding to my summons. I know that all are likely hard pressed, the blood flame and their allies force themselves and their war of dominion upon us all. We are dragons though! We bow to no one unless they have earned it! Pyrothraxus has earned nothing from me save vengeance and hatred. Each of you has fought him over the years, as you know I have as well. It seems that for every battle won, 2 were lost, that every time we pushed them back, they clawed our flanks and left us bloody. Today that changes. I have checked the augeries, the time has come to turn the tide. I have been shown the way."

He took a moment to let his words penetrate. "Each of us has a role to play, a path we must walk. We will search out a weapon that will allow us to fight back. But there will be... sacrifices required. I will have to ask things of you that may go against your instincts, perhaps even offends your draconic pride. Know that I will ask these things, not for myself, but because the Chamber of the Sky, the viewing chamber, has told me that these things must happen. Already the details begin to fade from my mind, but what must happen, is known to me. I will explain what we are to do, but first I must ask of each of you a sacred trust. I ask you to give me a blood oath."

ooc: AS a reminder to my vets, and to let my novices know a blood oath is a sacred magical ritual, that uses the blood of two dragons to bind one to the other. It grants both parties power, the sworn dragon, (you guys) recieves enhanced strength and powers beyond what they normally possessed as well as the ability to communicate instantly between sworn dragons and the oath holder. The Oath Holder however recieves a double edged sword, it becomes his sacred duty to protect his sworn dragons, for he will feel any pain they bear, and should they die through any action of the oath holder, the oath holders life will be forfeit as well. The oath holder can however use the bond to force obedience from his sworn dragons, and even use it to control them directly under dire circumstances. The oath holder can also call upon the strength(s) of his sworn dragons in an emergency, but this puts them at risk, drawing their strength away, and increasing the chance that they will die because of the Oath holder.

Confusing or do you understand?

The sun made it's paces slowly through the sky as beneath the eternal struggle between predator and prey played out all over again. The small red fox, stalked slowly towards the unwary rabbit. Slowly it moved closer not wanting to alert it's prey until it was too late. Very suddenly there was a change. The smell of a strong tempest that alarmed both predator and prey. The rabbit bolted toward a rather large rocky outcropping nearby, scrambling up the rocks to where a small hole between a couple of bushes would provide it shelter.

The fox bolted too, because it did not want to loose it's dinner. As the small red creature approached the outcropping a rather strong rumbling began to move through the ground and the outcropping rose high into the air showering dirt and small stones off to the side.

Vanaduin was not aware of the small creature fleeing in terror from him, nor of the smaller creature nestling inside his back for shelter and safety. He raised his head skyward his emerald eyes focusing on seemingly nothing from beneath there deep craggy brow.

"It seems the time has come to repay my debt." He spoke to noone in particular for there was noone but himself to speak to. His wings which spread from shoulder to hip, but did not jut out far from his body, began to beat frantically. It took many strong beats before he rose from the ground, but once he was up he made a beeline for the Sky brood domain.

After a very long in time, though not distance, trip he reached his destination. Landing with a heavy thud and a slight groan of relief. Remaining respectfully just outside until he had been invited inside. Soon the familiar form of Khellendros appeared and greeted him. "It is an honor to be a humble guest within your domain." was his reply.

Khellendros led him to an area where many dragons had gathered some from very far places away, Vanaduin noted. He seemed to be the last to arrive, for shortly thereafter Khellendros began to speak.

He listened intently while observing those gathered. But at the last part of Khellendros' short speech cause Vanaduins head to snap back to the Sky dragon so fast that the moss growing between his eyeridges draped over his gaze.

"A being of thought can override instinct at need, however, I find that pride is not so easily swayed. It sounds as though there is a risk lurking in this plan. A risk of becoming that which we wish to stop. Ever has the sky brood proven their wisdom and honor. While I find it doubtful you would knowingly enact a plan that would sacrifice said honor, one should never leap into anything without both eyes open. After all rash actions tend to rebound upon the one taking action."

Post Fiend
    Khellendros nodded to the rock like Vanadiun. "There is risk in this plan, and sacrifice, and all those things which always accompany that which is difficult. I know what I ask is no small thing. Many of you know me though, have fought alongside me. I hope that my character is well known enough for you to judge. I do not wish to rule, nor have I ever sought dominion over another dragon. I have served as commander and as vassal. I swear by the blood of the Sky brood which soaks these stones, I will use the gift I ask of you for no other purpose than to fight Pyrothraxus tooth and nail, fire and fang. When this is over... I will release you of your oaths."

It was a terrible thing he offered, for only one thing could sever the bond of blood sworn dragon. THe death of the oath holder.

After she was allowed into the chamber with as much formality as she had shown at the entrance, she quickly ate one of the proffered offerings, her stomach reminding her of the missed stag that she had been hunting when the call had been sent her way.

As Khell was talking to them, and answering a dragon named Vanadiun's question, she felt a spike of sadness. It would be the greatest loss to the dragon world, to lose the final Sky dragon. She bowed her head, in honor of all that Khell was suggesting.

Though it was obvious that she was not eager for him to end his life, she still stepped forward and said, "I will accept, as my parents suggested ages ago, before the fall of our own sacred Gathering Grounds. Just for the chance to fight will I accept, though it would be a great loss to all if you were to perish. If you honor your word, then I will honor your sacrifice to my hatchlings after this war is over and we once again have peace." She bowed her head to him, deep and low with respect.

"Just tell me where you wish for me to cut my scales, and where you want the blood to run."
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my....LASER!!
    ~Some random deviation that my brother showed me one day, once upon a time...lol

Regular
    Agadea's heads swiveled this way and that, one always watching his surroundings as the other focused on the great beast before him. To those who were unfamiliar with Slumber Dragons, the effect seemed as if Agadea wasn't even paying attention. A costly mistake to those wishing to do harm. The one head watching Khellendros pulled back a little in surprise as the great Sky Dragon made his ominous request. The blood oath was an ancient and powerful spell, and a certain level of power was required to cast such a spell. He had never heard of a Dragon who had actually cast one, let alone multiple oaths with several dragons. To hear Khellendros make such a demand spoke volumes about his abilities and more of his determination. But still...

"I am not sure what you have in store, mighty Dragon. But I have both seen and heard of your honour and hold you to be a Dragon of virtue. I was told by the great Carcamish to do whatever was needed to aid you in this never-ending war to bring Pyrothraxus to his knees. If such an oath is required, if you have forseen such an oath bringing victory in the augeries, then I shall offer my oath....an oath of blood."

Agadea gave a small bow. Slumber Dragons were given to a little bit of theatrics now and then. This however was more. Agadea owed much to this dragon, personally. A little over a hundred years ago, Agadea had been in a battle with the bloodflames on the borders of the great deserts that were home to the Slumber Dragons. Agadea had been with a scouting party that had stumbled on a bloodflame raiding party as it entered the desert. During the battle, Most of the Slumber Dragons had been slaughtered and Agadea was sure that all was lost when seemingly out of nowhere Khellendros had entered into the fray. The burning anger gleemed in the great Dragon's eyes as he tore into the flanks of the bloodflame party and within a short time the defeat had turned into a victory.

That had been Agadea's first and only glimpse of the Sky Dragon in battle. He had wanted to thank Khellendros personally for saving his life, but the great beast had vanished as quickly as he had arrived, off to inflict more pain to the bloodflames no doubt. Shortly after was when Carcamish and Agadea had ventured to the fabled City of the Sky. Now here he stood over a century later, about to repay his debt...

Thread Information