Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragonwars: Flames of War IC

Vanaduin shook his head slowly. "Forgive me, Khellendros. You here have lost more to Pyrothraxus' actions than any here. I had briefly feared that in the depths of your heart you had desired vengence over justice. And if I could do aught to prevent you travelling down that path which can turn the noblest of creatures into the most fell of beasts, I would. None here could blame you if indeed you felt that call.

"But now, that which you have offered seems worse to me by far. You must not be so hasty, Pyrothraxus' defeat is but a small step in the direction to set things back on the right path. I will give what aid I can, but only if we see the path to it's end. Far past Pyrothraxus' smoldering ruin."

Vanaduin's gaze swept sluggishly across the room. "Although it seems, I may spend a great bit of time guarding the rear."

Post Fiend

Serinn - Winter Brood

Serinn left Zephyrim behind as she entered the chamber. Here the saw Khellendros and a handful of dragon, already arrived upon his call, one of which she recognized. It was the same Slumber Dragon that she had seen earlier.

"The northern clans are greatful to the Slumber Dragons," she greated him with an elegant bow. She froze her pose for a brief moment before she lifted her head towards the big blue.

"Khellendros, it is good to see you again, even in dark times such as these" she said, making a ceremonial bow, one clan leader to another, after which she stood up, holding her head high in a form of attention, as he began to speak. It felt almost as if her heart froze when he mentioned the blood oath and the real reason to why he had called them here. A blood oath was a powerful thing, but also dangerous. When he mentioned that he would release them when the time came her heart grew colder still. That would mean the end of a great clan.

"It is much you ask of us, as well of yourself," she said after the others had spoken. Her heart and mind was in turmoil, struggling inside.

"You know the way of the Winter Brood, but I trust you and your decision. You have earned that trust during the last millenniums. Still, it is much you ask of me. Had the decision only effected me I would not hesitate, but now, as a Clan leader of my Brood..." she shook her head, wishing that her father was here. He would know what the right course would be.

"I must think," she finally said, looking at him with her ice blue eyes. "You cannot ask us to take a decision like this lightly."

As expected, the Winter Brood dragon had little to say to Valstaaz. He wan't offended. His people were not viewed with trust, but they had done nothing to change that face for centuries. he trailed the other dragon inside and watched her ceremonial greeting, and those of the other dragons. He couldn't help but feel out of place. Compared to them, he was a child, and certainly less refined, for the Zephyrim had no formality or need of it. His greeting to Khellendros was a nod, but he delivered it with as much respect as he could.

In the next few moments, his mood would change from general curiosity to deep paranoia. It was inherent in his brood to be somewhat xenophobic, and this Sky dragon's request of something so extraordinary was not taken lightly. After hearing it, Valstaaz could hardly supress the urge to roar in protest. Two of the present dragons voiced their acceptance right away, which did little to sway Valstaaz's opinion.

"Preposterus," he managed to say without the curse words. Small tendrils of Iceflame were not as easy to supress as they licked his fangs while he spoke, "You know better than any other dragon in the world than to ask that of us, Khellendros. My very life, and free will, is in your hands if I agree, and I can guarantee that my submission is impossible.

"The Zephyrim bow to no clan, no matter how prestigious it may be. Even yours. It's taken centuries just to get our allies to recognize us as a legitimate brood. You should have known better than to ask such a thing."

Valstaaz huffed, sending frozen bits of saliva onto the stone floor, "My answer is no."

Valstaaz beat his powerful wings twice. First to get some lift, then again to launch him backwards, out the archway through which he entered. In the open sky, he let the air out of his wings and dove down the mountainside, enjoying the refreshing rush of cold air. About halfway down, he opened his wings and angled into an eastern glide. It would take far more than a simple request to get a Zephyrim to kneel.

OOC: I need to say that it is not in Valstaaz's personality to be submissive in any way, except to his own brood leader. Its am acquired trait of his clan. I don't mean to throw a rock in your engine, GE, but you should expect me to often do the unexpected :)
    Last edited by Shari Tana; 12-04-2009 at 00:43.
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Post Fiend
    Khellendros was not suprised by the varying reactions, he had expected such variance, in fact he had expected more, but then he had expected more dragons to show up too. He bowed deeply to the dragons who accepted his request, to Serinn he nodded and said "Of course," He was about to add more when Valstaaz rejected him vehemently, and fled.

<One fewer because of draconic pride. We will just have to manage without him.> Truthfully Khellendros was just glad none of the assembled dragons had challenged him for leadership, or over the idea of the blood oath. While it was uncommon, it would not have been unheard of, and while he thought he could defeat any of the dragons gathered here, it was not certain, and he would not start this venture with blood from his friends.

Before any of the others could move he said simply "Let him go. It is his perogative. If he will not join with me, then he is free to leave. As are the rest of you. I will not force anyone, and I will not accept an oath given through duress. It would be no good anyway. The Blood oath must be given freely, otherwise it will not hold. I don't want any of you to give me the oath now though. I would not want you to decide after giving it that it was not truly what you wanted, for once it is given, there is only one way out."

He let that hang, the one way out was his death. He waited a moment longer, then continued. "I will allow you to rest here this night, and then on the morrow, we shall depart for our first destination. For now I will answer whatever questions I may. Ask, and I shall answer as best I can. Know, though, that I will not reveal overmuch of what our quest shall be until you are oathsworn. I will not risk betrayal, even the unintentional, or forced confessions under torture.

Talking Pre-Approved for your reading pleasure!

As Valstaaz flew eastward, a small obsidian dragon picked its way down the mountain side, slithering between crags and boulders and slipped over the archway into the chamber. It crouched in the shadows, emerald eyes scanning those forms within the chamber. Barbels on the ends of its snout twitched, feeling more than what could be seen. It listened intently as Khellendros spoke and huffed to make itself known.

"And you expect to face that khellmarothrax with this lot?"

Ebonirion inched a few paces closer to Khellendros, keeping more than her eyes on the small band of dragons in the chamber. She abruptly sat back on her haunches like a cat and curled her web-spindled tail in front of her. "I suppose it will have to do," she answered for herself and 'smiled', extending her barbel 'whiskers' and the spindles behind her eyes. "Tal Ebinon ara an samel ta'ay nalyr, Khellanthros," she added with a respectful bow of her head.

Regular
    Ragnarok knew what had to be done, he'd accepted these ideas before even hearing the summons. Bowing his head lightly as he took a step forward. "I will honor the blood oath in full valor. I, Ragnarok, will do so not to serve you Khellendros...." Taking a breath and cocking his head slightly with a barely noticeable shrug of his shoulders "No offense meant." Before continueing on with his speech "But to battle those that call themselves greater and fiercer warriors than the Death Brood and prove which is mightier."

Sitting on his hind legs while his 2 front legs were straightened and his head honorably held high. "Ragnarok gives his strength to fight this war."

Post Fiend

Serinn - Winter Brood

Serinn couldn't believe how many of them, even though the group assemblied was very small, accepted without hesitation. A blood oath was not something to take lightly. Never before in the long history of her Brood had any kin agreed to a blood oath outside the Clan. It scared her to think that she might become the very first. She gave Khellendros a nod, at least he did not expect her to answer right away.

A Shadow brood joined them shortly after, publicly displaying her displeasure with the group. Arrogant came to mind, but Serinn had too much on her mind to even bother. Instead she held her tongue and went outside, leaving the rest behind them. She moved away from the entrance before she sat down, looking out at the horizon. It was times as these that she wished her family were still with her, hearing their thoughts and feeling their warmth and strength. Her mother had died when Serinn had turned only 900, before the war, but for the rest she didn't even know if she had the right to mourn them or not. Querindan, her father and their Leader had disappeared in the beginning of the war presumibly captured by the Flame Brood. Wether or not Pyrothraxus and his ilks had killed him or not she had no way of knowing. She could only hope they had not. The twins Karyn and Kariakis, hatched from the same egg, an unusual thing among dragons, had parted from her during an attack from the Flame Brood centuries ago. She believed them to still be alive, fierce as they were, but she couldn't be sure. They weren't siblings by blood, but Querindan had raised them as his own after their own parents had both passed away. She knew them well and she knew that Karyn would never agree to what Khellendros requested of her. Kariakis might have been swayed, after seeing past his worse fears and looking at the goal at the end, to end the war. What her father would do, she could not guess. Instead she was expected to make these decisions on her own, affecting her entire Clan.

"What am I supposed to do now father," she whispered silently, fooling herself into believe that he actually would answer. No. She was on her own. The decision was her to make, hers and no one else. The problem was not that she had no trust in Khellendros, but what it would mean in the end and how it would affect all Winter Brood. On the other hand, blood oath or not she would not hide in the shadows like a coward. She would be out there, putting herself at risk, fighting for their future. Her brood knew this and counted on her to lead them. So had she really anything to lose? Cold air turned into cool mist as she blew out a heavy sigh. It was cooling her slightly from the pressing heat and she closed her eyes to fully enjoy it. Her spell was wearing off but she couldn't make her go inside just yet.

OOC: Yay for huntess return! :)

Regular
    Agadea remained quite as most of the other dragons present voiced their hesitancy at Khellendros' request. The slumber dragon was not all that suprised. A blood oath was a serious commitment, and one that required not only a vast amount of trust in the one recieving the oath, but also a unwavering commitment to the cause and vision of the one recieving the oath. As such, one common trait all Dragons shared regardless of brood was the strong urge of self-preservation. It was very rare, if not completely unheard of, for one dragon to sacrafice its life for that of another brood for any reason. The exception had been the Sky Dragons. It was this reason more then any other that the onslaught at the hand of the bloodflames had so enraged the other broods.

Having already made his mind to offer his oath, and having declared such aloud, Agadea decided to learn more about the others present who he would stand beside should they come to offer their oaths as well. In particular, there was a white dragon that Agadea had just shared a battle with. Giving a small leap in the air with his powerful hind legs, Agadea gave a quick flap of wing and flew towards the caves entrance, where Serinn had left earlier.

A little ways from the entrance, Agadea found the White atop a rock, gazing towards the setting sun. Where her thoughts were the Slumber Dragon could only guess, but they must have been heavy thoughts as Serinn let out an audible sigh. Landing next to the White with a gentle flap of wing, Agadea gazed out at the sun as he spoke.

"I never got a chance to speak with you after our last encounter. I must say...you are quite the able warrior." A head turned to gaze at Serinn as the other continued to watch the horizon. "However, you seem to be troubled. A dilemma perhaps, one you can't put fangs or teeth to?"

After the commotion died down. Vanaduin turned his head back toward the Sky Dragon. slightly surprised to find that a dragon arrived after he did. "You mentioned a weapon Khellendros. I find it disturbing that a weapon so powerful exists that would allow so few to stand against the overwhelming horde of Pyrothraxus'. If such a weapon were to fall into the wrong hands the consequences could be catastrophic. I'm tempted to suggest that this weapon be destroyed before anyone uses it. Pray tell what you can about this weapon, mayhap if I knew more my worries would be relieved somewhat."

Post Fiend

Serinn - Winter Brood

Serinn turned her long neck slightly as she heard another dragon approach. She wasn't really sure if she was thankful for the disturbance or not. It was the Slumber Dragon from earlier. She gave him a brief nod in return.

"So are you," she replied, gazing out at the horizon again.

"A dilemma?" she asked almost with a laugh, turning to look at the dragon as he continued to speak. Perhaps he just tried to be polite, but even the simplest mind would be able to guess what her dilemma was.

"A blood oath is far to complex to give without thought, Slumber dragon" she merely replied. "It is one thing to trust another dragon with your own life, and another thing entirely to put the fate of your brood in the fangs and claws of one dragon. A dragon that in the end might see beyond the future of your own brood."

She trusted Khellendros. He had always held his word to her and to her brood, but still. She, even if it was rare for the Winter Brood to put their full trust in another Brood, would trust him with her own life. Even so, who could say that ending the war and destroying Pyrothraxus and his army would not become more important to him than to see to the safety and future of the Winter Brood. Controlling her would also mean that he would have the option to control her entire Brood.

Post Fiend
    ooc: Hunty you and your strange dragon speak hehe

IC:
    Khellendros of course had sensed the dragon that emerged from the shadows. He had wondered when she would reveal herself. Turning to her he bowed slightly, translating her message in his head. (ooc: I'll translate later, don't have the guide with me currently) And responded "These will do Ebonirion. The visions have shown me the path, and that path may only be walked by a few. These are they."

When Ragnorak offered his allegiance Khellendros bowed his head and thanked him. Acknowledging his willing aquiescence.

Then Vanaduin spoke his worries. "I can not say much until such a time as the blood oath has been sworn by those who will, but the weapon is not something that can fall into the wrong hands. And should it be destroyed, it would be a loss for all of dragonkind that would diminish our race for all time. But then I suppose calling it a weapon is incorrect. That is the purpose to which I will put it if I can, if it will allow me. That is not what it is though, strictly speaking. Hopefully that is enough to assuage your fears, for even that may be saying too much."

Finally he addressed them all, speaking in a voice that carried magically to all of the dragons present. "Thank you all, I do not expect you to hold to any decisions made now. I ask only that you take the night in contemplation and then answer yes or no upon the morrow. If you answer yes I shall perform the ceremony, if not then I ask that you depart in peace, and speak of what has transpired here to no one. When you are ready, one of the spirit thralls shall guide you to the accomodations I have prepared."

With a word of power and a wave of his foreclaw a glowing orb appeared for each dragon present. They moved to their side, awaiting the commands of their individual dragon. "Each can fill your needs within reason, and have been limited to follow only you for the night. I will retire now, for I am yet wearied by my trials within the chamber of the sky. Please, enjoy my hold as though it were your own. The morrow will be a day of decisions."

ooc: Feel free to play out your scenes and then start back up in the morning.

IC:
    Khellendors spent a fitful night in contemplation. He slept little, but in truth needed little sleep. The past several days had rested him enough. His weariness was of the spirit for that was what the chamber of the sky tested, and only time would cure that. He moved to the grand meeting hall and awaited the assemblage of those dragons who would come.

Regular
    Agadea gave a pair of grim smiles to Serinn. He had forgotten that she had assumed control of the entire Winter Brood. So young, yet so determined...

"Yes, I suppose that would....complicate things."

Uncomfortable with the silence, Agadea sat for a few more minutes, before giving a stretch and a fake yawn. "I suppose you could use some time to yourself. I shall leave you be."

As Agadea was about to take to the air again, a pair of glowing orbs appeared beside the two dragons. They floated in place almost expectantly, as if awaiting orders. From in the cave, Agadea heard Khellendros voice from inside the lair carried to him on magic. The Orbs, the sky dragon explained, would be hosts, seeing to the dragons wants within reason until the morning. The slumber dragon eyed the orb with momentary suspicion, before giving a toothy pair of smiles. "Seems we are on our own for the night. Now Orb, take me to my room. I wish to rest..." The orb floated off about ten feet before stopping, waiting for its charge to catch up.

"Serinn, I hope that you come to a decision that you can feel comfortable with. If there is anything I can do to help make that decision easier, you have but to ask." Agadea knew there was nothing he could do to aid such a personal decision, but if still felt right to offer. Catching up to his glowing host, Agadea followed the orb back into the recesses of the lair...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the morning sun rose and cast out it's fingers trying to penetrate the recesses of the Sky Dragon's ancestral home, so to did Agadea rise from his slumber. Stretching out his wings, the Slumber Dragon stretched his necks and gave a toothy yawn.

At the Grand Meeting Hall, Agadea noticed a couple others had arrived, but the rest were still absent. Rather then waste Khellendros' time with questions, the Slumber Dragon took a position near the front of the room, close enough to the Sky Dragon to show his continued support yet far enough away to remain a part of the guests...
    Last edited by Darlok; 29-04-2009 at 07:09.

Valstaaz ended up flying not very far from the mountain. His reaction was, perhaps, somewhat brash. Eventually he landed on a cliffside next to a pair of small trees. Below, in the fading light of dusk, he could see the bipedal silhouettes of this world's youngest species. They had started cropping up a few centuries ago, and now they were living in caves and the like. The creatures appeared to have habitats all over the world, as there was a grouping of them near the Zephyrim nesting grounds. They usually weren't trouble, and often ran off if one of the dragons got too close.

If the Blood Flames had thier way, Valstaaz could only imagine how the world would change. Centuries of conflict have done little to make that change for the better. Especially, perhaps, because the Zephyrim and thier allies were losing. Wihtout the numbers to launch an offensive campaign into Blood Flame territory, they were fighting a defensive war, and eventually even the sturdiest of forts will fall. Valstaaz turned his head back towards the Sky mountain. He could only imagine the sight of the battle which took place there. Khellendros must have had an incredible tolerance for sadness, or an unquenchable thirst for revenge to have survived alone for so long.

Turning back to the humans below, now retreating into thier caves for the night, Valstaaz heard Khellenrdos' voice in his head as a small blue orb coalesced into sight in front of him. The Sky dragon's message explained the orb and offered them shelter for the night. The Zephyrim cove was quite a long ways out. Even the thought of the journey was tiring, and it was one Valstaaz would have to make without stopping. Blood Flame patrols and thier allies often looked for stray dragons to kill. One less now was one less to fight in thier final attack.

Taking flight, Valstaaz climbed back up the mountainside with the orb trailing him. As he passed the landing area, he saw Serinn looking out over the land, and began to hovor. Like than himself, she was one of the dragons who had refused Khellendros. She was obviously fighting an inward battle, so Valstaaz gave her a respectful nod and continued his ascent, aksing the orb to show him to his quarters.
    "I am the brightest light, for I am darkness. I know everything, for I know nothing. I am a container, brimming with emotion, for I am empty."
    --Bebedora, Arc the Lad

"Intelligence is the key, and she is locked out." - Josh Sneed, in reference to his ex.

Post Fiend

Serinn - Winter Brood

Serinn said little in reply to the Slumber dragon. Perhaps she could have tried a bit harder to be sociable, but at the moment she didn't really care. After she made no attempt to break the silence the other dragon excused himself. For this she was thankful. She could appreciate his try to make contact, but a decision like this was better made in solitude. Suddenly a glowing orb appeared in front of her, apparently another one had been sent for the Slumber dragon. She could hear Khellendros voice as clear as if he was standing next to her.

She gave the other dragon a brief nod in return.

"Thank you, I will see you in the morning...."

For a long while she sat staring out into the sky, making up lists for the pros and the cons, twisting and turning every think she could think of. Another dragon circled above for a moment, but he soon found his way to the sleeping quarters. Darkness had set before she finally let her orb find her own quarters for the night, but her decision had not yet been made.

The morning came quicker than she wanted it to. She hadn't slept much and the decision was not yet set in stone. Khellendros would expect an answer for her, but she knew she wouldn't be able to make up her mind until that time came.

Arriving at the grand meeting hall she noticed that she was the first one to arrive.

"Khellendros," she said and made a ceremonial bow.

Vanaduin had silently observed the others in the room for awhile after Khellendros had left. Noting that the one that had flown off in anger had returned. Many had troubles with accepting the specifics of Khellendros's plan.

Khellendrs had been calm about his decision and unwavered, the truth being that he had already though long on what he had owed Khellendros, so in truth, Vanaduin's acceptance had already been determined long before Khellendros had called this meeting. Vanaduin sighed heavily as many had internal struggles that were visible externally. He wished he could aid them in some way, but in truth there was little he could do besides state the obvious. That it was for the good of all to remove PyroThraxus from power.

He shambled off slowly following a bouncing ball of light, and began the return trip as soon as dawn began to rise. Not surprised to find himself to be a latecomer.

Thread Information