Thread: Gnomb Sage A/T

Post Fiend

Gnomb Sage A/T

A basic strat for war and some adjustments OOW would be nice.

I don't need to hear "Sage for Gnome is the dumbest personality choice ever" regardless if it is nor if it isn't. A player quit in the middle of our war and I am sitting the account until we find someone to take it over. One of the bigger provinces in the KD and a little over 2k acres.

I was thinking something like this for war.

10% homes
    5% farms (I have the science for it I think)
    15% rax
    15% TG
    15% Fort
    15% TD
    10% Guild
    4% Tower
    1% Dungeon
    10% Stable

He was running banks with a high draft (over 66%) so maybe I could drop the stables and rax a little bit and build 10% banks and steal my horses at war.

Any suggestions. The above is just a basic guide line to get the province in good shape for someone to take it over.
    Last edited by jennahaze; 01-04-2009 at 21:55.

what's a Gnomb?
    S E C R E T S

Post Fiend
    oops. Hmm, don't know how that happened... I guess my mind seemed to think it was spelled with a b eventhough I spent the last 4 days in a war with an entire kingdom of them.

Gnome

Got any suggestions DHaran or do you just like pointing out minute little errors?

Post Demon
    banks on a gnome? meh... stealing the money works well, and gnomes don't require alot of money to train up. being sage, he should have alchemy anyway.

i played gnome once, and hated it, so ymmv. I'd build something close to that, except with more dens and a higher ratio of TG:Forts (20/10, with the same amount of land).

I like pointing out little errors. I will say, if I was playing gnome I would NEVER waste stealth stealing horses.
    S E C R E T S

Enthusiast
    Looks like a solid build. Can't really point out anything wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jennahaze View Post
    A basic strat for war and some adjustments OOW would be nice.

I don't need to hear "Sage for Gnome is the dumbest personality choice ever" regardless if it is nor if it isn't. A player quit in the middle of our war and I am sitting the account until we find someone to take it over. One of the bigger provinces in the KD and a little over 2k acres.

I was thinking something like this for war.

10% homes
    5% farms (I have the science for it I think)
    15% rax
    15% TG
    15% Fort
    15% TD
    10% Guild
    4% Tower
    1% Dungeon
    10% Stable

He was running banks with a high draft (over 66%) so maybe I could drop the stables and rax a little bit and build 10% banks and steal my horses at war.

Any suggestions. The above is just a basic guide line to get the province in good shape for someone to take it over.
    Gotta see his science if you want any good advice.

If he's any good by know 10% libs should be vastly superior to 10% homes, with the max pop gain compensating for the homes + the bonuses to every other sci.

Also if he's any good his prov should be able to handle a draft of well over 70%.

With those TD's, sci, and race bonus mod TPA should be 12+, so using stealth for stealing horses is a waste unless you're collecting 750+ a grab.

5% farms will be plenty if food sci is 70+% and you keep FL up. Feel free to let this number slack in favor of needed bldgs as one good steal should net 80K+

10% banks shouldn't be underrated if you think you'll get chained. A 2k+ acre turtling gnome won't get hit... but as soon as he does anything significant it will. I'd say don't be afraid of the chain as that's where sages excel. A few kidnaps can love a lot of pezzies quickly to fill new acres, and banks can make that income jack fast. If you do plan on doing it right and running 73+% draft then arms come in to consideration and drop banks to ~5%

Realize you only have the prov for a few days... whatever.
    "Oops..."

Post Fiend
    about 2300 acres I think.

+17.2% Income (367,652 points)
    +12.2% Building Effectiveness (363,751 points)
    +9.4% Population Limits (506,239 points)
    +65.1% Food Production (161,502 points)
    +8.7% Gains in Combat (95,147 points)
    +81.4% Thievery Effectiveness (448,550 points)
    +39.7% Magic Effectiveness & Rune Production (106,815 points)

Is that any good? I've never played sage so I really wouldnt know. I know they are WAY higher than my main province, which is an elf that just gained a bunch of land in the last two wars.

Post Demon
    Ok, so my human warrior has about 2x that sci effect (on much less land) - but then, I've got between a 60-70% bonus to my sci values. Your BPA is nearly as good as mine - and I work hard at it (and use almost 20% libs)

10% libs looks like a really easy choice here. +1.27% pop, +1.65% BE, +2.3% Income... etc. Well worth the 10% for the scattershot bonuses. Where you pull it from is debatable, but find 10% somewhere. Even ignoring DBE on the dens, the 10% libs should be equivalent to 4.5% Dens (for mod TPA, not losses of course) - so that's one spot to pull from if you can't find it elsewhere.

BTW, I think gains sci is being underrated, dump your extra points there for a bit. Food is "too high", you (he) would have gotten more bang for the buck elsewhere, but that can't be changed now. (And it's still better than not having it at all!)

Think Different

Post Fiend
    I was surprised at how low the gains science was. I have been putting most of my books into there since I took it over. I might be stuck with this thing for the full 20 days thats why I wanted some opinions.

What about ditching homes completely and using libraries. That 1.27% to pop, wouldnt that make up for most of what I lost from the homes. The only downside is getting massacred during war and not being able to regain peasents fast enough. Althougth I can always kidnapp for that with about 18 TPA mod which is what I had in the last war (Before the 6 massacres of course).

Enthusiast
    Homes add BR which helps to cover up one of their bigger weaknesses. Libs might be "better" but losing the BR can definitely hurt in war.

I'd suggest nickle and diming some buildings across the board. Like can a gnome really sustain attacking with 15% barracks and quick feet? You can probably cut barracks down to 10% with little to no noticeable difference. Forts can also likely be cut to 10% since most people run more offense than defense anyway. If you don't like that idea you can cut guilds slightly, homes slightly, maybe even TG slightly.

Post Fiend
    Thanks shank, Ethan, and Cheech for the suggestions.

Thread Information