Thread: Correct me if I am wrong..

Regular

Correct me if I am wrong..

If I am using 9% homes and drafted 62% currently.

my homes are adding 672 people to my population.

If I added 10% homes angel says I get an additional 752 people.

I should be able to use all 752 extra people for my military without adversely effecting my BE right?

Versus doing this: 752*.62 (current draft rate) = 466 to draft.

Thanks.
    Last edited by OldG; 22-05-2009 at 20:43. Reason: clarity

Enthusiast
    Yes, your BE would improve. Your number of jobs decreases and the number of peasants increases. And your NW would increase.

I am assuming by your last statement that you understand all 752 people would not go directly to your military.

Regular
    thanks for answering,

I know it will go up if I don't.

Im curious if I can put them ALL into the military because IF I had enough peasants to get 92% BE before and I am adding 752 people then they are extra.

The same people that made the 92%BE will still be working.. I will just be adding people.

and I would actually be reducing available jobs, while keeping the same number of workers, right? (10% from a job producing building to homes)

Thanks again.

Regular
    anybody?

Enthusiast
    You're reducing the number of jobs because homes don't employ people so effectively you still increase your BE (slightly).

Regular
    thanks

yea, your BE will prolly go up a bit, but its really negligible because your province is is in a state of flux so its continually changing anyway. The units and BE you gain is lost when you get hit anyway since you will lose some homes along with the hit and what not.

A home provides space for 25 people and adds 8 for a total of 33.

If you convert a building to a home you eliminate 15 jobs. So you can add 23 people to your military without changing BE.

Post Fiend
    adds 10.

I don't understand. Yes you loose homes, units, but just a percentage. You loose some number of all types of buildings and units you have anyway, whether you have homes or not. So, it will mean your BE will drop some, but it will still be higher than someones who doesn't have homes.

Realest said it himself- it's a process of gaining and loosing. Wouldn't homes BR bonus help because of this. Massacres are not used that much anymore, too.

Being an ignorant noob that I am(I have some good teachers thou, we're getting there :P), I will go as far as to say:

Provinces without at least 10% homes suck. And the lower you are in rankings, the better the homes are.

That's why Vines is using 50% homes- he plays at the lowest level possible :D.

P.S.: No, I am not joking.
    ILM.

More homes do give a higher BE but more homes also means LESS building percentage for the other buildings that really matters! Homes might be nice to have, but they certainly are not vital (and plain stupid for Dwarves).

Regular
    the only race worth running high homes (over 10%) is gnome (enhanced homes + pop modifier), maybe also humans with really high pop sci (tho libs prob more worth it)..

The deciding factor is not race or personality.

If you are using mostly percentage buildings you want to maximize BE. If you are using mostly flat rate buildings homes won't help you.

A Dwarf with 135% BE will be able to get maximum effect from 24% buildings at 125% BE he/she will have to use 28%. If you are maximizing three types of buildings you can use 3X28 or 3X24 + 12% homes. The extra homes will aid the economy and/or allow a higher draft.

I believe the only reason any informed player would pick a dwarf is to get the high efficiency. Trying to play a dwarf with low BE would be frustrating.

Realistically speaking, no sane person ever tries to use their maximum BE (unless they are a farm). Since BE isn't a linear function of the amount of workers you have, a +12% in homes does not imply a +10% (or +12%) increase in BE. Taking your example and at 1000 acres with +10% BE science (the later requires about 250 BPA):

Without homes, you need 16750 workers for maximum efficiency.
    With 12% homes, you only need 14740 workers for maximum efficiency. On top of that, you get +960 maximum population.

Now, assuming the guy without homes want to match you military-wise, so he will only have 14740 - 960 = 13780 workers. That will give him roughly only 4% less BE. Which means that in this example, he would have a BE of 131%.

As you said, you need 24% (actually 24.6%) of a single building to get to maximum effect at 135% BE. At 131% BE, it's enough to only have 25.7% of a single building.

Your 12% homes are clearly not helping the real building effect in this case (as it would be more efficient placing the acres on other buildings). :)

If you calculate around and/or just play with the simulator, you will notice that homes are much more useful for low BE provinces rather than those who already start out high. So, my original statement still stands: homes for dwarves is (usually) a very bad idea.
    Last edited by Weeblie; 01-06-2009 at 23:48.

Regular
    To me, its not about increasing your BE. Its more about increasing your draft (and keeping your BE at the same levels you normally would).

You can easily estimate how many people can be added by increasing your homes a certain%.

100% of these people homes add can be utilized by your military.

If you were a human, Dark Elf, or Undead with a high% of elites it would appear to me homes could be quite useful enhacing your abilities. Gnomes also benefit but for different reasons. Having run gnome provinces for numerous ages I can tell you I would not do it without homes.

Take 10% of your buildings as a test. Open angel and add them to the building of your choice. Compare the effect on your current off/def.

When it comes to homes, take the number of extra peasants and multiply them by your most powerful offensive unit.. then compare the numbers.

Afterward consider that you've also made your province more fireball/kidnap and massacre-proof (not something we see much of this age) as well as able to fill its acres MUCH FASTER during periods of rapid growth.

More peasants = more gold per hour from taxable income = larger base to draft from = more soldiers drafted per hour @any given rate + cheaper draft costs per soldier @any given rate when compared to a like-sized under-populated province.

Additionally, if you did not draft all those peasants you could experience a significant increase in BE the benefits of which would carry over to all your "important buildings".

Thread Information