Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: DHaran vs vines

They don't.
    They play uber-tier pokémon, which is as much 'pokémon' as dual lash prince and nine obliterators is 'warhammer 40,000.'

The only people who actually play pokémon are those who got into the craze ten years ago, and now play tournaments on a frequent basis, scary americans, looking for asian children to cam and microphone with, and people who pretend that they're asian children.

Pokémon, just like classic games such as chess, is very easy to 'win,' but extremely hard to 'play.'
    The match-ups get pretty intense, and there are even tiers and special clauses in place, to control the extremely lax foundations of the game.
    To 'win' at pokémon, you load up on three mewtwos, a darkrai, deoxys, and arceus.
    To 'play' pokémon, you go online, and have the above team utterly crushed by a spiking skarmory, a tanking blissey, a wobbuffet thrown in for laughs, a level 1 rattata with focus sash, a metagross with agility, and a bronzong.

Pokémon requires extensive amounts of time to do well in. The monsters come with unique stats, decided by luck and their parents, a special class of stats that you have to train up yourself, the good moves are expensive and rare, and the good monsters take forever to level up.
    Add to this the fact that you HAVE to breed monsters that are any good, and that breeding - as listed above - gives you slightly random stats.
    To give you an idea of how long raising just one monster takes, when I made my lucario, I went through 64 eggs before I aquired one that I deemed to be useful.
    Each egg takes about five minutes of playing to hatch, and then you need to level the critter that comes out up to level 10, so you can cauge its usefulness.

A little kid could never, ever figure this out, and they never, ever do, either.
    Only when they go online, and promptly have their all-offense teams picked apart, do they start to wonder, and do some research.

GT isn't aired anywhere in the world, because every single person currently living, or deceased, considers it a massive failure.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by VT2 View Post
    A little kid could never, ever figure this out, and they never, ever do, either.
    You've managed to do it, can't be too tough for a 7 year old =]

But in all seriousness, don't underestimate people. I guarantee you that there is a little kid somewhere that can absolutely destroy you. Does he play pokemon? Prolly not. But if he started, he would crush you and everyone you know.

I'd be willing to bet that no person would ever have over 50 thousand digits of pi memorized. It would just be one giant waste of time. But I'd be wrong.

Never ever underestimate humanity.

There is no 'little kid' that can 'destroy' me.
    I have over ten years of collected experience, and all the monsters I'll ever need, while all the little kids have mewtwo, and think he's OMG! ROXXORS! with four offensive moves, a poor nature, not a full EV-spread, and a booster-item.

It's so bad, actually, that little kids don't even get to compete in the big leagues, because of the common fact that little kids have little intellect, and aren't mature enough to grasp the concept of strategy.

If they got to compete, it would be unfair to the little kids, because they'd get owned, and unfair to the veterans, because they'd get bored, and feel kinda bad for crushing the little kids who don't know better than to put thunderbolt, thundershock, thunder, and quick attack on their pikachu.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Seriously, stop letting your ego get in the way of rational thinking.

You compared pokemon to chess. You know that there are 7 year olds that can absolutely DESTROY people that have been playing and studying chess for all of their lives.

Where are these fabled kids, then, and why haven't I heard of them?
    I played chess once, but the lack of randomness ruined it for me - there was simply no way I could lose against an equal or lesser opponent with strategy as the only factor.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    "These kids" are off doing more important things like studying because they are wicked smart and such.

Regular
    its fun to watch palem and VT2 dog fight :P

So whats Vines' location again?

Post Demon
    Despite the ego, VT2 strikes true again. At least for chess... I know nothing of pokemon.

Best understanding of "mastery of a game" indicates that it requires approximately a decade of intense study to achieve true mastery of a game. The youngest chess grandmaster became eligible at 12 years, 7 months. The youngest master appears to be 9 years old. (True mastery of chess, oddly enough, requires better than master status these days.)

A master is, at least according to the USCF (US), someone with a rating >2200. I personally am rated nearly 1800. Thus I can say, with almost certainty, that there are only a handful of 10 year olds in the world that could beat me at chess.

Furthermore, we can assume that one can't start learning chess until at least age 3. (To be generous) Furthermore, we assume that a new player starts at 1000 and progressing approximately linearly in skill (1000 is generous, but not that much.) Thus we conclude that, at age 7, the best chess player is only 2/3rds as good as at 9. [ (7-3)/(9-3) = 2/3) ] And 2/3rds as good as 2200 is 1800. [ (2200-1000)*2/3+1000 ]

From this we conclude there are *NO* 7 year olds better than me at chess. None. In the whole world. They just don't have enough time in their entire lives to match my experience. And I'm not even that good a chess player, though I would of course wipe the floor, trivially, with anyone that doesn't play competitively.

So again, VT2 has a point. His experience almost surely outweighs any "natural talent" a 7 year old might have. A young kid just can't have the experience needed.

Think Different

A master can formulate a plan that effectively and swiftly crushes anyone below, or on the same level, as her- or himself.
    A grandmaster is able to formulate a battle plan so effective and swift, it leaves her or his opponents defeated without realizing it at first.

I never got that far, because the game stopped appealing to me after clearing out the area of opponents.

For once, Ethan's not a complete n00b.
    You require at least ten years of pokémon-experience to be able to compete, so the youngest serious players you'll find are around 16 years old.
    It's the exact same with chess, warhammer, and any other game that stress strategy as the main piece of gameplay.
    Strategy takes a long time to learn, and those 16-year-olds get their asses handed to them by older players very often, but obliterate anyone younger than them just as often - and let's not get into 'casual' players attempting a tournament in either of the three games.

PM me, and I'll give you vines' location, on the condition that he's not touches with attacks for now.

I think another reason why pokeman requires the experience you sugjested is do to what you mentioned earlier. You must devote time to accuire the monsters you need to win. What was it..5 min an egg just to hatch it? that requires no talent at all, simply...TIME. So I would agree with you VT2, no man woman or child could match you cuz they just don't have the time devoted to the cause.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Furthermore, we can assume that one can't start learning chess until at least age 3. (To be generous) Furthermore, we assume that a new player starts at 1000 and progressing approximately linearly in skill (1000 is generous, but not that much.) Thus we conclude that, at age 7, the best chess player is only 2/3rds as good as at 9. [ (7-3)/(9-3) = 2/3) ] And 2/3rds as good as 2200 is 1800. [ (2200-1000)*2/3+1000 ]
    You're assuming that you can represent the learning of chess linearly, which just shows that you know nothing about modeling equations.

From this we conclude there are *NO* 7 year olds better than me at chess. None. In the whole world.
    Does nothing about that not seem wrong to you? To claim that there isn't a single 7 year old in the world that can beat you only shows your ignorance.

VT2 - Just because you've never played them doesn't mean they don't exist. That's a very simple premise of our world. Odds are, they don't even play Pokemon. That doesn't mean they can't learn faster than you can and beat you.

Take my word for it, you aren't the ultimate, genius, grandmaster of pokemon that you think you are.
    Reasons these kids aren't playing Pokemon with you:
    -There are better strategy games to test themselves on
    -They don't waste their time with measly games.
    -It's ****ing Pokemon and they would be ashamed to find themselves playing it.

Postaholic
    how did this thread go from vines to pokemon to playing chess... lolol

pokemon is made to scam money from 9 year old kids, its not meant to be associated to asian culture in any way. if u guys r adults theres a special type of cartoon for u, its called hentai

and dragonballz is so not asian anymore. it has become so white that ppl actually made a movie of it with goku being a white guy
    Last edited by waheed; 19-04-2009 at 20:48.

Unfortunately for you, you're the one who claimed that there were 'little kids' that could beat me at chess and pokémon around, and, as such, you're the one who has to prove that they do exist.

Since you can't do that - and you just went down the route of profanity, because you're out of options - I've won, and you've lost.

Another thing to keep in mind is that any little kid, who's learned that there's a difference between girls and boys, could easily hatch 200 eggs, given enough time - but there's only a very slim chance of even one of those eggs holding a good monster.
    Use elite parents, that are already very, very good, yet not perfect, and the chance of you getting an extremely valuable monster increases.

Also, 'it's ****ing pokémon!' is not a good argument. The series is 12 years old, and going stronger with each passing year - now more than ever before, due to the DS actually featuring online play.
    Next thing I know, you're going to say 'it's ****ing starcraft!' and ignore the fact that that game is 11 ears old, and still considered the king of all strategy-games - excluding chess.

Hey, here's a challenge.
    You go find a 'little kid' that can beat me at starcraft, then I'll let you win.
    Good luck beating those 11 years of experience I have with that game.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I have yet to use a '!' outside of sarcastic comments, and have yet to use one in this thread entirely. You're making the quote seem out of context as if I'm yelling it like I don't have an argument and just trying to get louder to win.

That being said, congratulations, it's been extremely geeky for 12 years. The point being, kids are still kids and don't like to be made fun of. Pokemon does that to people.

I might be able to find a kid to beat you in Starcraft, just give me a some time.

Thread Information