Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magic 101?s

Magic 101?s

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm trying to figure out the difference between the different parts of magic

We have magic effectiveness which essentially is a modifier for wizards. It is only affected by race bonuses and science correct?

Then there is spell strength; I am not sure what this is, but I'm pretty sure it is a function of guilds. I want to say it has to do with the length of the spell not the actual bonus it provides (although length is indirectly a bonus).

Then there is 'tower effectiveness' now according to the changes memo. No explanation provided...Any idea what it will mean? Whatever it is, it probably isn't good news for a DE.

Strength is duration and probably effect on both self spells and offensive spells. Tower effectiveness is just more production.
    Dolgil Rosethorn
    If it's broke, fix it.
    If it's not, don't.
    If you do not like the results, change your methods.
    Quit making the same old mistakes. Make new ones.

magic effectiveness affects wpa which essentially affects the success rate of your spells against another. yes, i think it's only affected by those 2.

increased spell strength on the other hand increases either the damage caused by one-off spells (not sure), or the duration of duration-based spells (quite sure).

i think tower effectiveness is about how many runes each tower can churn out, modded by science.

having so little time to pump wpa and sci, makes 30% (is it?) magic eff quite valuable for DEs i think, and you dont need to be mystic to do the MS this age lets them take up more attacker-based pers if needed. it's not that bad, but i'd prefer the more attacker-based races for this short age, no time for war of attrition...

Magic is one fat jew :D
    Last edited by MorbidAngel; 06-05-2009 at 17:46.
    OLDSCHOOL

Inferno of Absalom
    The Gay

Whatever it is, it probably isn't good news for a DE.

FE why would you say this?

Then there is 'tower effectiveness' now according to the changes memo. No explanation provided...Any idea what it will mean? Whatever it is, it probably isn't good news for a DE.

What does that have to do with DE ?
    BOOYAH!

Quote Originally Posted by allonons View Post
    Whatever it is, it probably isn't good news for a DE.

FE why would you say this?

What does that have to do with DE ?
    DE needs runes now.. or did you skip reading the changes ?

tower effectiveness is just that.. they produce double the runes now. plain and simple. Just like guild effectiveness.. which i dont see people asking about..

ummm...

The Mystic
    * No longer has Meteor Shower spell (new)
    * All Guilds and Towers are twice as effective (new: Tower effectiveness)

This is what he was referring to ,and seeing that DE will use 50% less runes on cast it will effect them the least of all as a race ,other then not needing runes period.

And the only thing this mystic would be good for is in application to higher build percentage other than guilds and towers.....flexibility in build strat.

So the point I was making,, why is it not good news for DE, every other race will use more runes to cast still....BUT it will be bad or good news for those who do or do not go Mystic in combo with specific races.

Anyways DE/Cleric will be the strongest A/M with the best economy combined with the UD/WH and a couple a/t's of your choice ...it's on like donkey kong!
    BOOYAH!

Quote Originally Posted by allonons View Post
    Anyways DE/Cleric will be the strongest A/M with the best economy combined with the UD/WH and a couple a/t's of your choice ...it's on like donkey kong!
    DE sucks monkey balls... Last age they sucked, then they got nerfed..
    OLDSCHOOL

Inferno of Absalom
    The Gay

I guess that means that my rogue DE will have more runes to steal from other DE's and Elves mwahaha. I think the worst part of the nerfing is no honor bonuses, that's half the benefit of being T/M. It's almost like they just want people to be attackers and for noobs to click the thieving and magic buttons occaisionally for fun.

de do not have a no honor bonuses penalty...
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Regular
    it just means genesis's "+100% honor bonus" isn't brought to WOL. DE has normal honor bonus as anyone else except orcs.

DE changes suck. but i guess DEs make the best A/T/M of all races. tho not enuf time to do that in 1 month since A/T/M need high sciences..

Post Fiend
    Question about Tree of Gold spell. Each time I use it does it get more expensive or less effective? One of my kingdom-mages thinks that the more it is used the less return I will get or the more runes I will have to spend to cast the spell. He thinks that in protection this is not the case, but OOP this will begin to take effect. Is this, or part of this, true?

ToG gains is based on your income, average of 40 - 80% of your income. When you come oop, your draft increases -> your peasants decrease -> income decrease -> lower mean gains from ToG unless you grow bigger.
    Utopian 5 Sept 2005 - 5 Sept 2013

Sir Postalot
    also, when your acres get bigger, each spell costs more =)

the spell cost formula is something like

Code:
    x + y * land
    where x is a constant amongst all spells, and y is variable depending on spell
    Deliverance -> secrets -> anzac -> mercy -> rage -> "ghetto"

I have a question about guilds and I thought I should just use this thread. Does guild increase the duration and damage of offense spells? If so, does the mystic personality double these effects as well?

Thread Information