Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reforming the Suggestion Board

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzerland View Post
    IMO - banning flamers isn't the way to resolve the issue. There are ways around bans, and eventually more will come, etc, and then in the event a banned user has an idea that could bring worlds to the game, they can't exactly say something about it. tbh, bans shouldn't exist here. The harshest penalty should be something along the lines of moderated posting, but even that might be too far.

Instead, you should be considering something... sadly.. catwalk suggested almost 6 months ago.. or more. Re-organizing the forums to tunnel/channel input.

Post a rule listing that people can actually follow and that isn't scattered across the universe, and that moderators can actually follow, and maybe include in there "constructive criticism only, anything non-constructive or seen as abuse or flaming will be acted against"

Then, watch what posters do. If VT2, for example, does his typical "REJECTED" delete it, or edit it to say something like "This user is unable to explain why this idea may be bad, and therefore, must like it"

:p
    How about you make a concrete, detailed suggestion? I have no control about implementation but I think it will be a good discussion about what exactly the community wants to change in the forum.
    Last edited by Mourhelm; 10-06-2009 at 21:34. Reason: http://forums.joltonline.com/showthread.php?p=14821452#post14821452

Ezzerland

Reforming the Suggestion Board

mod delete this post pls.
    Last edited by Ezzerland; 13-06-2009 at 15:09.

The problem with these boards has never been about organizing the ideas. The problem is that people are too silly to post good ones. Whether you have 1 forum or 10 forum, this remains true. Good ideas will get spammed off the page regardless and by splitting up the stupid into so many places, it's harder to moderate since it's harder to watch over so many places.

You're not addressing the actual issue with your method; B&S and ST are worthless because of the people suggesting stuff and offering advice. Fixing the cosmetics like this idea or utopia wiki is not the solution.
    The End of an Era

Ezzerland
    mod delete this post pls
    Last edited by Ezzerland; 13-06-2009 at 15:10.

I didnt read your exact idea but perhaps a more efficient way of organising this would be just to have a 'moderators pick' section. I assume the moderators read most of the suggestions and have a clue about the game, if there are any ideas/suggs they think are particularly good, the moderators can move it to that section. No threads can be created in that section, hopefully producing less idiotic posts. (This could be implemented in conjunction with your idea).

Ezzerland
    mod delete this post pls
    Last edited by Ezzerland; 15-06-2009 at 19:11.

Tbh it says something about the moderators, they should be some sort of good judge of good ideas.

Ezzerland
    mod delete this post pls
    Last edited by Ezzerland; 13-06-2009 at 15:10.

there is no derailing and people can post here if they please. Don't be a hypocrite now and try to censor a criticism. If you post a suggestion here, expect it to be elaborated upon. As it stands, this is a horrible idea. If you have an agenda with the mods, you can deal with them yourself.
    The End of an Era

Ezzerland
    mod delete this post pls
    Last edited by Ezzerland; 13-06-2009 at 15:11.

if you owned 2 cars, would you park them side by side, or one underground and one on the surface?

The suggestions are more organized by in one place, rather than 10 places. This is simple logic that should elude no one. The amount of suggestions may not change, but the places to moderate does change, and when you have to look at more subsections, it adds more work than necessary, which is more to moderate.

Again, focus at the root of the problem, instead of repackaging something then reselling it. You saw what happens when you do that when OMAC redid Khanwars. Changing the cosmetics does not make something better.
    The End of an Era

Ezzerland
    mod delete this post pls
    Last edited by Ezzerland; 13-06-2009 at 15:11.

that wouldnt help anything either. A lot of valid suggestions are ways to revamp a bad mechanic in the game. If OMAC says, we are looking at redoing races, when clearly a more pressing change is the relation system, then you're squeezing development into tunnel vision.

Gathering all the suggestions on this one board is fine. The key is that OMAC needs to truly and fully understand this game, and can then pick out stuff that will be useful and interesting. They can't do that at the moment which is why some people worry that spamming dumb suggestions might mean its implementation. That is the problem of these forums. It's not the layout, and its not all about the mods. There needs to be a proper filter for stupid, and we are just not seeing that right now.
    The End of an Era

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzerland View Post
    The same result could be obtained by the developers participating in this forum and simply saying "we're looking for this"
    Quote Originally Posted by Realest View Post
    that wouldnt help anything either. A lot of valid suggestions are ways to revamp a bad mechanic in the game. If OMAC says, we are looking at redoing races, when clearly a more pressing change is the relation system, then you're squeezing development into tunnel vision.
    I agree with Ezzerland. Discussion directed by the devs will be the best way to streamline suggestions.

Realest, you raise a valid point. But if the devs direct the discussion in a smart way it will help. Asking for race changes is too general and will lead to pointless chaos. However, if they say they want to reach a specific goal with a specific race they will be able get a more productive discussion.

Also, if the devs will first start by asking the community what problems they see and what the priorities should be they'll know what issues are more pressing for the community and could direct discussion there.

Lastly, you can avoid the "tunnel vision" by having several directed discussions at the same time.

thats still ignoring the elephant in the room: the ability of the people suggesting stuff. Quality of knowledge here is low and I don't really care if you agree or not, because those who have a good grasp of gameplay, can easily see that.

Nevertheless, the general premise of a having OMAC directly involved in discussions may bring some brighter minds back here again. When OMAC first took over, a lot of good players came to post until they realized it was fruitless. If there was some promise, I'm sure it can work. However, spliting the forums into even more subsections is silly for reasons I've already provided.
    The End of an Era

Thread Information