View Poll Results: Which is better Equality or Equal Rights?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Equality is better.

9 69.23%
  • Equal rights is better.

4 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equality versus Equal Rights?

Equality versus Equal Rights?

Equality is a system by which any given 1 adult does the same as any other given adult. Quid pro Quo applied universally across the board. No difference between gender, race, creed, nationality, or ethnic background. The only thing people have to judge you on are your actions.

Equal Rights is a system by which; in a situational basis, 1 group/demographic of people is given a starting advantage over another group, so that the vast majority of the 2 groups are measured equally. Thus, equality is achieved not by being the same in action, but rather by being the same in scale.

The question, in modern society, which is valid? Or at least which maintains the ideologies inherent within being valid?
    When the nay-sayers pipe up with talk of exploitation through strategy and planning I'm reminded of a Jack Nickolson quote, "I think of a man, then I remove logic and reason from him"

Post Fiend
    This shouldn't even be an issue, in my opinion... I don't know what's wrong with humans that it is an issue... When I see a person, that's exactly what I see, a person. I don't notice things like color, or gender, or anything else... I DO notice whether or not the person is nice, and how attractive the person is XD And I've liked skinny people, fat people, white people, black people, hispanic people, asian people..! I have lots of love =) XD

I think life would be easier if we didn't think of people as black or white or boys or girls, but as people. I don't see why we have to be judged, and why we have to question these things.

Gah.

Equality
    OLDSCHOOL

Inferno of Absalom
    The Gay

Why is there no 'who cares?' up there?
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Post Fiend
    ROFL!!! VT2 pwnz. AHAHAHAHA!
    Lmao, I'm too busy laughing to hit you on the head with a rubber chicken. rofl.
    XDDD
    AHAHAHAHAH!!! XDDD

OMFG THAT'S STILL SO FUNNY! XDDD

AHAHAHAHA!

XD

I am not on drugs.

VT2 is obviously white. Does Sweden even have any diversity? Aren't you all really white and sexy with blonde hair?

The swedes are very white... with very blonde hair... usually. However, there ethnic diversity in sweden, just not that much.
    When the nay-sayers pipe up with talk of exploitation through strategy and planning I'm reminded of a Jack Nickolson quote, "I think of a man, then I remove logic and reason from him"

We're more diverse than the rest of the world combined.
    Half the population here's 'black,' and a tenth's 'yellow.'

The aryan stereotype is what Hitler wished his germans would have been.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

"When I see a person, that's exactly what I see, a person. I don't notice things like color, or gender, or anything else."

Major load of @#$%

I guess I cannot really speak for anyone besides myself, but when I see someone I do see race gender etc... When I see a sexy woman, I see a sexy woman. When I see anyone, I judge them. I assume they will act or be like who ever I know or met that looks similar to them. It isn't wrong, it is primal. Your first instinct when dealing with a new situation is to look back to past experiences. It is basic. So from my perspective saying you dont notice things like color gender etc.. is lie. It comes from this idea that we should be apathetic toward those things. I cannot say is thats right or wrong I just know for me it isn't true.

Enthusiast
    Equality. But, to clarify something, what you describe as "Equal Rights" is actually Affirmative Action. Equal Rights is the concept that if it applies to one, it applies to all regardless of race, sex, age, sexual orientation, etc. Affirmative Action was an attempt by the government to require and enforce Equal Rights. It has run its course, and should be eradicated.

Regular

Lets be real here....

Equality is an idea that will never truly come to fruition. It is idealism at its finest...kinda like Marxist Communism.... As long as different people live, with different looks, different genes, in different cultures, experience different things, like different aspects of life and live different lifestyles, then there will always be judgment based on what is DIFFERENT to them.

Equal rights is a legal, civilized safeguard/measure against the times when the idea of equality betrays us. Once we get over the utopian belief of "equality" then we can finally devise a realistic system by which everyone is given "EQUAL" footing to excel from.

To answer to the question, equal rights is the most valid option in today's society.

Enthusiast
    bigDizzy, equality doesn't mean that everyone can do the exact same thing with the exact same efficiency and result. It means that if you are looking at two completely different people for a task, and one is better at it than the other, it's not because that person is a ____ (insert race/gender/skin color/religion/sexual orientation/mutant). It's about eliminating stereotypes based upon segregated groups, not making everyone equal to eachother. Basing judgements on individual actions and merits, not what group the person happens to fall into.

Regular
    It means that if you are looking at two completely different people for a task, and one is better at it than the other, it's not because that person is a ____ (insert race/gender/skin color/religion/sexual orientation/mutant). It's about eliminating stereotypes based upon segregated groups, not making everyone equal to eachother. Basing judgements on individual actions and merits, not what group the person happens to fall into.
    I understand that the idea of equality is to overlook what you stated above and judge people solely on their actions and merit; however, decisions people make everyday are heavily founded in how they were razed and what environment they sprouted from. Therefore, race, gender, skin color, religion, etc- all of it plays a role in everyone's everyday decisions.

So, to say that the idea of equality is more realistic for modern society than say, equal rights is just not viable. To change our perceptions of others and the way we judge them will requires generations upon generations of teachings and growth.

Enthusiast
    So you think it's better not to try?

Regular
    This isn't really about being a minority, its about not being white, or asian infact. Both of those races are held to higher standards in societies. You can be part of a small white minority in another country and still have laws that make it harder for employers to hire you than the majority.

They ar racist policies by definition, and they claim to be the exact opposite.
    How far will the hypocrissy go, by enforcing inequality to apparently produce equality. It actually goes against evolution and nature to give people advantages just because they aren't as good at something, it destroys the drive for competition. Wanna see the effects of destroying competition? Live in a country where industries are run by monopolies. There is no need for them to perform. Inequality will not produce equality, it will rise tensions. It will not get people to start liking eachother, it has the opposite effect, quite obviously.

If you want to help poor people, don't look at race, if they are poor they are poor, why should anything else enter the equation?
    Last edited by HumanoidTyphoon; 04-07-2009 at 18:05.

Post Demon
    To change our perceptions of others and the way we judge them will requires generations upon generations of teachings and growth.
    I don't think its possible to eliminate racism from humanity entirely, though you can certainly limit its reach and importance in our decision making.

It is in our nature to classify things in groups and we do this whether we are aware of it or not. That classification is needed, because otherwise, we wouldn't be able to rationalize and process the world around us.

We have a tendency not to consciously control how that classification occurs in our mind, because it is such a basic thing that we need to function that we can't initially fabricate it with reason... it is a prerequisite for reason.

That said, we can reflect upon our own perception later on and through a conscious effort of will, improve how things are classified in our minds.

Someone's looks (that includes race and gender, but goes even beyond this) is just one of the ways in which that natural classification process occurs and you will always have some sort of instant expectation based on someone's appearance. If you are a sensible person however, you should be able to limit how that initial expectation affects your judgment and readjust your aim with what you see later on, but that initial expectation will have occured nonetheless.

Thread Information