Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Utopia Blog - July 1st, 2009

Monarchs can be online all the time, but only if they're swedish, and insomniacs.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Monarchs can be online all the time, but only if they're swedish, and insomniacs.
    "There is evil there that does not sleep" ....aye?

;-)

Yesssssssss.
    Catwalk's crusade for legalized cheating was a stunning success, with ghettos and low-tiered teams everywhere losing their wells of knowledge to better kingdoms in the process.

Step one: replace everything that works.
    Step two: blame the predictable epic fail on outside forces.
    Step three: keep the community informed that no progress has been made since the last update.
    Step four: thank you for your patience.

Veteran
    http://www.frontsquare.com/

So Brian and Sean are an external company. Doesn't have to be bad, of course. However I'm at a loss how hired developers can claim they'll keep utopia up as long as it's profitable.

Ezzerland
    I'd be more curious about the:
    "We are currently working on renovation of an extensive outdated codebase that currently serves over 40 million page impressions per month."

That's a great thing for their portfolio, I'm sure. When that current work is complete, who is going to be uto's developers?

edit-

Can we start a new WoL age anytime soon since between alpha testing and genesis release of the new code you need likely another 2 months before its released on wol?
    Last edited by Ezzerland; 05-07-2009 at 17:59.

just from the screen shots I already see an issue. From across the room someone could get a glance of my screen and see that Im clearly not working. Im must be playing a game because everybody in the WORLD can read the HUGE titles or whatever you would call them on my screen. One of the things that I enjoy about this game is that it doent look like a game from across the room.
    So I can play at work and play from my work with no troubles.

Could be good to add an option to remove graphics on KD pages etc.
    Changing size of text can be done within the browser.

Would be fun if in upcomming versions to have a war summary page, which also keep the results from previous wars.

PS
    Also would like to know when this age is suppose to end. Its past june now.

Ezzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
    Would be fun if in upcomming versions to have a war summary page, which also keep the results from previous wars.
    You can do this now manually via posting them in the forums.

In order for the game to sustain such a thing, they would first have to record papers for a longer duration that 48 hours. Thats already unnecessary storage of information. Then they would have to incorporate a formatter of their own, update the formats as it goes, differentiate between wartime and not, etc etc.

The simplest implementation of this would be to able to have a notepad for you to manually add such things. As I said, you can do that already in the forums.

I know I can do this manually I'm not stupid.
    Storing things longer than 48 hours is just variable in their code. At the moment we don't know how much and how long information is stored anyway. We only know about that which is displayed. We have KD history with land, nw and honor, We also have information stored about how many attacks, spells and thieves ops that has been done etc. And the game already differentiates between war and not.
    Having a war summary does not include storing all information. Personally I think that a page with war history can fit with the overall game theme.

Ezzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
    I know I can do this manually I'm not stupid.
    Storing things longer than 48 hours is just variable in their code. At the moment we don't know how much and how long information is stored anyway. We only know about that which is displayed. We have KD history with land, nw and honor, We also have information stored about how many attacks, spells and thieves ops that has been done etc. And the game already differentiates between war and not.
    Having a war summary does not include storing all information. Personally I think that a page with war history can fit with the overall game theme.
    If I wanted to say you are stupid, I would simply come out and say it. Don't try to make this a personal attack on your intelligence or I will change my tone to that nature.

What I'm saying is its unnecessary to store all the excess data required during a war to generate a formatted version of your war history, along with implementation of the additional code necessary to format it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luth View Post

and after reading the blog, i can't believe there's STILL no estimation of dates here and the alpha testing hasn't even gotten off the ground...

unbelievable, but not surprising i guess...
    they are already late with it, so why set a new date they might not be able to make? Personally I prefer it to be right over being launched at a date they can't keep. Not like anyone wants the new age to start in the middle of the summer anyways. Just be happy the alpha is here.

www.TheBattlefields.info
    For true utopians

\o/
    rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzerland View Post
    If I wanted to say you are stupid, I would simply come out and say it. Don't try to make this a personal attack on your intelligence or I will change my tone to that nature.

What I'm saying is its unnecessary to store all the excess data required during a war to generate a formatted version of your war history, along with implementation of the additional code necessary to format it.
    they don't have to store all the data like pimp does
    A war history would be much closer to what we already have in the Kindom Growth page
    They can just make a short info for each war
    For example in the War page they can include info for the past wars and the curently war if it's the case
    Just a short info will do: oponent location, the date when the war started, the date when the war ended, acres gained, acres lost,number of attacks made/suffered, win/loss outcome
    something like that...it's not that hard to implement and it doesn't require huge space to store info :)

Quote Originally Posted by Yadda9To5 View Post
    http://www.frontsquare.com/

So Brian and Sean are an external company. Doesn't have to be bad, of course. However I'm at a loss how hired developers can claim they'll keep utopia up as long as it's profitable.
    they are an external company but they know one another:

Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlanchfield
    Dylan, Brian and I, and most people around me, share a past in Trinity College Dublin...

Ezzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan84 View Post
    they don't have to store all the data like pimp does
    A war history would be much closer to what we already have in the Kindom Growth page
    They can just make a short info for each war
    For example in the War page they can include info for the past wars and the curently war if it's the case
    Just a short info will do: oponent location, the date when the war started, the date when the war ended, acres gained, acres lost,number of attacks made/suffered, win/loss outcome
    something like that...it's not that hard to implement and it doesn't require huge space to store info :)
    If it was overall kd gains I could see that as being likely. It still requires an autoformatter of sorts. And then you will run into the issue of explore gains etc. Whats accurate for you is not accurate for your enemy etc. Most people sadly don't understand explore gains and the effect it has on the difference between your kd gains and theirs.

At any rate, it is possible to implement, I just believe its unnecessary.

Thread Information