Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Utopia > Evolved or overly repaired?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Would you like to know the secret of why the golden ages were so much better?

Answer:
    Because >100,000 players is a better player base than 13,000 players

Do you really think starting a retro server is going to suddenly amass >87,000 players? I doubt it because they're to busy playing games with graphics.(With all due respect to Utopia)

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Would you like to know the secret of why the golden ages were so much better?

Answer:
    Because >100,000 players is a better player base than 13,000 players

Do you really think starting a retro server is going to suddenly amass >87,000 players? I doubt it because they're to busy playing games with graphics.(With all due respect to Utopia)
    You must not remember Beta, it had less than 13k players.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by SoShaan View Post
    lol... some of you think chaining has to do with land gains..
    Chaining as a strategy is prevelant because ppl run double the offense compared to defense and doing so is now ideal

People run double offense than defense because the landgain formula forces them too.

Change the landgain formula and chaining does not occur. Unless of course you'd choose #1 over #2.....

1) to be in a situation where you can hit anyone you can hit be hit back
    2) or you'd like to be able to attack people while being unbreakable at the same time.

Generally people opt for #2.

Hard as it may be to believe, but under the old landgain formula everyone ran double the defense than the offense. the only people that built offensive elites were noobs and were generally dead within 2 hours. Over the years the rules changed such that 7 out of the 8 elites have more offense than defense, and dspecs have more NW than ospecs and the one race with a defensive elite is unplayable as an attacker.

The dominant race used to be one with a 1/8 elite.
    Last edited by flogger; 21-07-2009 at 06:10.

Sir Postalot
    Quote Originally Posted by flogger View Post
    Chaining as a strategy is prevelant because ppl run double the offense compared to defense and doing so is now ideal
    no, chaining is a strategy because there is no other effective way to stop someone attacking in a war, until there is another effective way of taking 2-3 people out of a war every 12 hours, chaining will remain the dominant factor

more attacks = better chains
    to get more attacks, you need more offense
    People run double offense than defense because the landgain formula forces them too.

Change the landgain formula and chaining does not occur. Unless of course you'd choose #1 over #2.....

1) to be in a situation where you can hit anyone you can hit be hit back
    2) or you'd like to be able to attack people while being unbreakable at the same time.

Generally people opt for #2.

Hard as it may be to believe, but under the old landgain formula everyone ran double the defense than the offense. the only people that built offensive elites were noobs and were generally dead within 2 hours. Over the years the rules changed such that 7 out of the 8 elites have more offense than defense, and dspecs have more NW than ospecs and the one race with a defensive elite is unplayable as an attacker.

The dominant race used to be one with a 1/8 elite.
    if you can find a way for #2 to work, without resorting to bottom feeding, please, go ahead and show us....

also, ironically, the race with the 1/8 elite was used as an attacker by many kd's, the space saved on defense (7 epa gets you 55 dpa, rather than 11 defspecs) went straight into offense...

they were so good because people had to put pop to get the same defense, and could therefore get even better offense

You must not remember Beta, it had less than 13k players.
    the beta was also back in late 90's when dial up was the most common way to connect to the internet, and the graphics capabilities of most online games was abysmal
    Last edited by _greenie; 21-07-2009 at 07:10.
    Deliverance -> secrets -> anzac -> mercy -> rage -> "ghetto"

Regular
    typical of you palem,some people throw around a few interesting and novel ideas and your back to your pessamistic best ,shooting it down in flames.

would you like me to lend you a gun to put yourself out of your misery.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Excuse me for being realistic.

I tired to explain to make my case without comming off as the asshole but you guys wanted no part of it.

Oh, and I don't shoot down good ideas. Only bad ones, and on top of that I target bad ideas that are in the wrong forum.

Changing game mechanics will NEVER attract new players and that is pretty obvious.
    What needs to be done is to MARKET it =). If people don't know it exists how can they start playing it? More ways for current players to advertise the game to other people not just their friends.
    Also change what the game projects. Currently it is a little looserish. Non-social "geeks" plays Utopia and no one wants to come off like that.
    Also perhaps make it less dark. The 100% black theme is pretty boring make it little more intruigin in its atmosphere.

Director of Age Changes
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
    Changing game mechanics will NEVER attract new players and that is pretty obvious.
    What needs to be done is to MARKET it =). If people don't know it exists how can they start playing it? More ways for current players to advertise the game to other people not just their friends.
    True but...
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
    Also perhaps make it less dark. The 100% black theme is pretty boring make it little more intruigin in its atmosphere.
    The black theme is awesome and I bet most people will agree if we make a poll.
    Last edited by Avenger; 21-07-2009 at 19:04.
    Discord: Hex | IRC: Hextor / Avenger

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Black background makes it easier on your eyes. I prefer it that way.

Regular
    Excuse me for being realistic.
    i like it ,a realist in a fantasy game,it has potential

Oh, and I don't shoot down good ideas. Only bad ones, and on top of that I target bad ideas that are in the wrong forum.

of course, you and your little buddies decide what a good and bad idea is.we would hate to make it interesting and step outside the square in fear of the game being popular again.
    Last edited by Bishop; 22-07-2009 at 10:57.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I don't have buddies in this forum.

Please, go find these good ideas that I've flamed. I'm very interested in all of these great ideas that have been shot down by me in perticular.

This being a fantasy game has nothing to do with me being opposed to making a bad decision for the game. Hey, let's have a server where there is only 1 race, 1 prov kds, and no one can interact with anyone else! And don't even think about denying it! This is a fantasy game!

And learn how to quote.

Sir Postalot
    "if you can find a way for #2 to work, without resorting to bottom feeding, please, go ahead and show us...."

Now if you hit someone 55% of your size, you get 1% of your acres. Back then you got 10%. Like I said, it's a different game solely because of the landgain formula. It's really pointless to argue something with which you have no frame of reference. With the old land gains, there's no reason to have that much offense as you can grow 4x as fast compared to today with half the offense compared to today, and without that offense chaining does not occur in top kingdom wars. In wars back then, you had to max hit every hit otherwise you lost. Period. There was one age outta 6 that I led that we didn't reach the #1 spot though and only got as high as #2, so perhaps I came up with less than ideal strategies.....

Look at my province in our kingdom hitting the only similar sized province in our latest hostile once you get intel. Looks like to me I can hit him and be unbreakable...... oh wait, sorry I screwed up my build to make it be, you know, good ;p

If only I coulda dropped the GS's and wizzies I mighta been able to double tap and be unbreakable. There's no reason we shouldn't have had 10 unbreakables in this conflict outside of our opponnents 2 biggest offenses which would be taken out within the first 12 hours, instead we might have 2, and we'd be lucky to break even and ruin our distribution in the process.

But yes, much better to waste 3 ppa on wizards for a 20th province readily available to cast duration spells in a once a month hostile instead of military that makes you unbreakable in multiple conflicts and daily randoming on similar sized targets ;p
    Last edited by flogger; 22-07-2009 at 06:43.

Post Fiend
    If you wanted, why not add in other options, like change colours ect.

To things like theme colours, Classic, Tropical, Futuristic, Miss Kitty, Pokemon, ect.

Marketing is what attracts people, without it no one will come.
    Game mechanics and other things is what will help keep people playing, that and the enviroment. If the experience is good, people will continue to play, if they dont they will stop.

Please stop talking about golden ages of the game and think it will ever have a chance of getting back to 100k people playing it. The odds are so slim it is doubtful, consider it lucky it will get back up to 25k people playing it. which is about double it is now.

Various things it has going for it is,

*it is always changing
    *it is simple
    *requires team work and communication

things against it is,
    *many player are to demanding
    *Is text based, and lack of personalised graphic options

Sir Postalot
    "if you can find a way for #2 to work, without resorting to bottom feeding, please, go ahead and show us...."

Now if you hit someone 55% of your size, you get 1% of your acres. Back then you got 10%. Like I said, it's a different game solely because of the landgain formula. It's really pointless to argue something with which you have no frame of reference. With the old land gains, there's no reason to have that much offense as you can grow 4x as fast compared to today with half the offense compared to today, and without that offense chaining does not occur in top kingdom wars. In wars back then, you had to max hit every hit otherwise you lost. Period. There was one age outta 6 that I led that we didn't reach the #1 spot though and only got as high as #2, so perhaps I came up with less than ideal strategies.....
    why would you compare then to now?
    if you have 2 kd's one who max gained, the other who chained, i will put any money down, the one who chains will come out on top... simply because, after 24 or so hours, it will be 20 provs vs 25
    Look at my province in our kingdom hitting the only similar sized province in our latest hostile once you get intel. Looks like to me I can hit him and be unbreakable...... oh wait, sorry I screwed up my build to make it be, you know, good ;p

If only I coulda dropped the GS's and wizzies I mighta been able to double tap and be unbreakable. There's no reason we shouldn't have had 10 unbreakables in this conflict outside of our opponnents 2 biggest offenses which would be taken out within the first 12 hours, instead we might have 2, and we'd be lucky to break even and ruin our distribution in the process.

But yes, much better to waste 3 ppa on wizards for a 20th province readily available to cast duration spells in a once a month hostile instead of military that makes you unbreakable in multiple conflicts and daily randoming on similar sized targets ;p
    please save these discussions for the relevant place... uto public forums are not such a place, if you have a gripe about how things went, please feel free to talk in private
    Deliverance -> secrets -> anzac -> mercy -> rage -> "ghetto"

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post

The black theme is awesome and I bet most people will agree if we make a poll.

Say NO 2 Black Ops
    IMPERIALS KLA

Thread Information